Refurbush what and other changes

ctjon

I believe both ships had a major referb by Crystal not long ago to introduce anytime dinning so if the new owners plan another major referb they might have structural changes in mind. Maybe larger cabins or more cabins. HAL had ships built like these two and they added aft facing cabins. I would love to see a moveable dome over the pool so the space can be used regardless of weather. Europa2 has one and one was added to the QE2. I don't believe new builds are in the future because of shipyard availability. Other lines already have them in the pipeline and the German yards are gone. Anyway stay tuned, I will check my mailbox for the new deck plans.

One of the restaurant issues on Symphony is that it only has kitchen on 1 level so limits what type of restaurants they can have on other decks.

Personally, I'd like to see more differentiation between the two ships -keep Asian on one do something else on the other for those who don't like Asian.

I would think “refurbishment “ would principally mean making the ships last another 10+ years.  Stuff passengers wouldn’t see, such as in engineering, etc.  I could also see making more, larger, high end suites on one or two decks - sort of like SS Norway did in her later years.  That isn’t a huge undertaking, especially if they can use modular cabins.  The rest is probably reorganization of public spaces, as described above. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bitob said:

No one liked everything and many liked different things. Lol

How about that?

Churrascaria: been a dozen times and never once had meat.  We used it for light supper salads mostly.  Need a casual, light offering in the evening.

Silk: MSG in the food gave me headaches.  Please replace concept.  Silversea might give the owners some ideas for that.

Trident: love it and it was often the reason we only wanted light meals at night.

Prego: some things are good and I suppose every ship needs an Italian restaurant so keep it but change some of the menu choices.

Nobu: KEEP IT. Much better than Pacific Rim on Regent.

Bistro: return to former hours.  Food/snacks/treats was almost perfect and best at sea for this concept.

Steak Specialty Restaurant: consider adding or replacing Churrascaria or Silk with one.  These are big deals on much of the competition.

Keep: Avenue, Movie theater (get better movies, not the straight to video releases), open public spaces, multiple entertainment venues.  We can live with the existing staterooms and wouldn't be interested in paying more for a little extra space in the standard cabins (more storage would be nice though).

Edited by audobon_tx
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, audobon_tx said:

How about that?

Churrascaria: been a dozen times and never once had meat.  We used it for light supper salads mostly.  Need a casual, light offering in the evening.

Silk: MSG in the food gave me headaches.  Please replace concept.  Silversea might give the owners some ideas for that.

Trident: love it and it was often the reason we only wanted light meals at night.

Prego: some things are good and I suppose every ship needs an Italian restaurant so keep it but change some of the menu choices.

Nobu: KEEP IT. Much better than Pacific Rim on Regent.

Bistro: return to former hours.  Food/snacks/treats was almost perfect and best at sea for this concept.

Steak Specialty Restaurant: consider adding or replacing Churrascaria or Silk with one.  These are big deals on much of the competition.

Keep: Avenue, Movie theater (get better movies, not the straight to video releases), open public spaces, multiple entertainment venues.  We can live with the existing staterooms and wouldn't be interested in paying more for a little extra space in the standard cabins (more storage would be nice though).

I pretty much agree with your suggestions.  I would prefer a French Bistro (steak frites, moules, salads Nicoise) to a steak place.  You can always get steak in Waterside.

I would add one more thing.  Consider replacing the hard chairs and tables in the Bistro with some comfy club chairs and upholstered seating (the Arts Cafe on Silversea does this well).  Most like to linger there.  The seating is not conducive to it.  You don't really need large tables - coffee and side tables are sufficient for nibbling noshing.  Make it more inviting.

There is always room for improvement.  Still, i wonder how much money will be invested in these older ships.

Edited by bitob
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Zele said:

In my mind, there isn't a lot wrong with both ships that would require tinkering with.  Clearly passengers have their favourite restaurants but how would the new owners know which ones.   

Well, since the new owners paid $13M for Crystal's IP, which includes the names and email addresses of all Crystal Society members, they should send a survey out to all members asking questions about restaurants, open spaces, cabins, service, entertainment, enrichment, excursions.....

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Well, since the new owners paid $13M for Crystal's IP, which includes the names and email addresses of all Crystal Society members, they should send a survey out to all members asking questions about restaurants, open spaces, cabins, service, entertainment, enrichment, excursions.....

They will get a million different answers.  Even here we have different priorities.  Hard to run a cruise line by consensus.  I am guessing they have a vision.   But who knows -- maybe we will see a survey in the mail?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

They used to send a survey to WC guests when they were working out itineraries. 

11 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

They used to send a survey to WC guests when they were working out itineraries. 

That makes sense. Just port preferences. Redesign of a ship is a bit more complex. But who knows?

6 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

I vote for Tastes to come back and replace Silk.

I think Silk was created because Genting had high hopes for the Asian markett.  In addition, it was a substitute for those who had trouble getting into Umi Uma on many of the cruises but didn’t want to go to the dining room.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

I was bored with the Bistro breakfast.  Same items for years.  I couldn’t even get an English Muffin there.  A soup would be nice in the afternoon. Just my 2 cents.

Agree. I always wanted more finger sandwiches and mini quiches instead of so many sweets. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ijkh said:

I hope they keep the top notch shows and lecture series top notch.   We really enjoyed them.   It would be fabulous if they kept Nobu.  

Yes, to keeping Nobu! It was our absolute favorite:-)   French Bistro is also a great idea. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Zele said:

Clearly passengers have their favourite restaurants but how would the new owners know which ones

Some might just want a Salad restaurant 

Me? I’m praying that Nobu survives - but to be honest they’ve got so many more things to be worried about than which dishes to put on the menus

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Me? I’m praying that Nobu survives - but to be honest they’ve got so many more things to be worried about than which dishes to put on the menus

I agree, to me a major referb is a lot more than changing the name/menus of a restaurant, replacing soft goods or a few pictures. I expect to see structural changes to the ships.

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

I think many of us are praying Nobu survives but that might not come to be depending on the arrangement they make with him. 

• Like 3

Gut the bathrooms and update.  Remove some of the bathtubs (esp OV and verandah cabins) - maybe half? - and replace with walk-in showers.  We accept that some cruisers love their bath, but we value the walk-in showers in the new SB penthouses.  Safer than climbing into/over the tub/shower combinations.

Don't even think about touching the promenade deck!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, bitob said:

They will get a million different answers.  Even here we have different priorities.  Hard to run a cruise line by consensus.  I am guessing they have a vision.   But who knows -- maybe we will see a survey in the mail?

You raise good points but I don't think there will be any survey sent out.

I do see emails being sent to lure back guests.

I also see a different type and demographic of guest perhaps less US and more European.

I also think there could be disappointment from the old guard Crystal guests when they go back on the ships and see that things are not the same as they were before.

Thankfully there are many options for us all in the luxury cruise sector.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

I also think there could be disappointment from the old guard Crystal guests when they go back on the ships and see that things are not the same as they were before.

Thankfully there are many options for us all in the luxury cruise sector.

I think there might also be some disappointment in how long it takes for the ships to refurb. With labor shortages and supply chain issues, every kind of construction is dragging out. There is a lot to do for a company start-up of this size. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t expect these ships to sail until Fall of 2023. 

• Like 3

I hope that the new Crystal owners will maintain the high level of enrichment and quality entertainment Crystal passengers enjoy. With initial focus on physical refurbishment and dining themes (continue or change restaurant venues) it could be easy to overlook the importance of these to the Crystal experience.. could be tempting to spend less on them.

• Like 2