Refurbush what and other changes

ctjon

10 minutes ago, edgee said:

I hope that the new Crystal owners will maintain the high level of enrichment and quality entertainment Crystal passengers enjoy. With initial focus on physical refurbishment and dining themes (continue or change restaurant venues) it could be easy to overlook the importance of these to the Crystal experience.. could be tempting to spend less on them.

Agree 1000%.   It was the quality of the entertainment and enrichment that was unique.  You can get great food and great service on any number of lines.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bitob said:

Agree 1000%.   It was the quality of the entertainment and enrichment that was unique.  You can get great food and great service on any number of lines.

However would be great to diversify a bit. IMHO Crystal at times tended to rely on too small a stable of enrichment speakers and guest entertainers such that even we who had less than ten Crystal cruises under our belt encountered repetition.

• Like 5

Just now, edgee said:

However would be great to diversify a bit. IMHO Crystal at times tended to rely on too small a stable of enrichment speakers and guest entertainers such that even we who had less than ten Crystal cruises under our belt encountered repetition.

I had fewer than 10 cruises as well -- saw plenty of repeat shows and speakers.  Let's hope the new owners improve upon what was good and make it better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Totally agree! Enrichment is one element of Crystal that is so, so important and a definite draw. It needs new blood. And more diverse subjects and speakers. Everyone has different interests but Hollywood legends is not mine. 

On 6/24/2022 at 8:44 AM, oakridger said:

Any cruise line that integrates shore excursions into the cruise price is off my list.  But to offer the A&K shore excursions as an option would be welcomed.  They sound wonderful

Oh well, it’s the opposite for us. 

16 hours ago, crickette said:

We accept that some cruisers love their bath, but we value the walk-in showers in the new SB penthouses

Totally agree. The new Silversea Nova is almost all walk in showers. We had a large walk in on Spirit, much better than a bath, which we would never use. 

24 minutes ago, bitob said:

Uh oh

i see a tub vs shower survey coming 

I think a true luxury ship should have both in every bathroom and provide a butler for every cabin. For me if you don't the best you can be is premium.

36 minutes ago, hypercafe said:

I think a true luxury ship should have both in every bathroom and provide a butler for every cabin. For me if you don't the best you can be is premium.

Silversea has butler for every cabin. We had tub in our suite but can’t speak for all cabins

What do you folks use your butler for?  The few times we've had one we really didn't use. 

I"m sure prices would go up if all had butler so just wondering if cost worth the benefit

34 minutes ago, bitob said:

Silversea has butler for every cabin. We had tub in our suite but can’t speak for all cabins

I know they do. I look at this as the price point. Many here speak like they have a printing press in their basement, I don't. If I am going to pay top shelf for a trip I want lots of space, all inclusive as I don't want to be hassled every time I get something, I want the ability to order off menu and whatever I want for room service without having to check with anyone. I want a tub and shower in my room and an unobstructed view and a walk in closet. If I can't get this I expect to pay a lot less regardless of what they call themselves. I have heard all the lectures about the civil war, space, food, napkin folding, old ships, ect. Seen all the song and dance shows you can imagine, and taken cooking, art, singing classes and been in the closing show. So I am waiting for the new whatever to post what they will offer and the price point and then we'll see, I am staying tuned.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

What do you folks use your butler for?  The few times we've had one we really didn't use. 

I"m sure prices would go up if all had butler so just wondering if cost worth the benefit

This question is asked often on cc. You can search almost any cruise line board

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

We never used our butlers and just had them because we got a suite for the bigger cabin size. We don’t do room service. I walk to get my own coffee in the morning. Sometimes they brought canapés but that was it. So butlers always loved us because we tipped anyway! We don’t need nor want one. 

We had our suite stocked the way we wanted with fruit, alcohol, wine, etc. before we boarded - but our Crystal liaison arranged that. 

2 hours ago, bitob said:

i see a tub vs shower survey coming 

It's interesting to see how tastes and perceptions change over the years. When we first started cruising on the Mayflower (well, not quite, but Home Lines, Sitmar, Italian Lines, Holland America, QE2) only the top-end suites offered bathtubs. When Harmony & Symphony were originally designed and built, it was considered the epitome of luxury to have bathtubs in all rooms, even in the lowest-grade entry-level cabins. And dual bathroom sinks were almost unheard of at the time. 

Rob

• Like 1

Maybe not a feasible solution in the short term, but when HAL acquired the Windsurf, they knocked an opening in the wall between two regular cabins and created, effectively, a 2-room suite with two bathrooms. It was a relatively simple engineering fix and created double-sized rooms. 

Perhaps a similar scenario for the non-balcony rooms on Symphony or Serenity? Just a thought.

Windsurf plan below (courtesy of cruisemapper).

image.thumb.gif.86960b6ed02f749cac16c29e85e4ef8b.gif

That double room with the two bathrooms would be good for that guy who I think chose not to stick around in his reinvented self, when his first self was banned.

Unless he’s one of you and I don’t know it. 

Our house has a massive tub in the master bath and a huge walk in shower.  In 5 years we haven't used that tub. It's like a small swimming pool and just getting in it is a feat unto itself.

On Regent's Mariner, the step up into the tub was so poorly designed, they've redone most of the bathrooms. 

Crystal could remove the tub and just have a shower, but it's not as difficult to enter as the above 2 examples.

What we loved about the Serenity, is in the small cabins, there was enough space to do whatever we needed and the lack of space for lounging, kept us out and about enjoying the ship.   We had several catagories of cabin, and there is not much to my mind that needs remodeling. Refreshing maybe.

• Like 7

On 6/24/2022 at 9:12 AM, ctjon said:

One of the restaurant issues on Symphony is that it only has kitchen on 1 level so limits what type of restaurants they can have on other decks.

Personally, I'd like to see more differentiation between the two ships -keep Asian on one do something else on the other for those who don't like Asian.

Symphony has 3 galleys and several final prep areas…. Deck 5 is the main galley and the largest, but as of the last refit there is a small galley on 6 and what amounts to 1 and 3/4 galleys on 11 if you add all of the prep areas together.  Depending on the concept, you may need to add particular items of equipment to Marketplace, but as of right now it has a complete galley, unlike when it was built.

On 6/24/2022 at 3:44 PM, Worldtraveler22 said:

I think Silk was created because Genting had high hopes for the Asian markett.  In addition, it was a substitute for those who had trouble getting into Umi Uma on many of the cruises but didn’t want to go to the dining room.

Unfortunately, their actions say the opposite…. They went full-in on the English-speaking market, eliminating the Asian sales support and onboard support resources that NYK had in place previously.  Unless it was part of their “sometime in the future they’re going to change strategies” conspiracy theory that was floated from day one, Silk was never more than their attempt to offer more diverse offerings to Crystal’s worldly guests that wanted a counterpoint to Waterside’s almost exclusively western cuisine on most itineraries.

13 hours ago, ryndam said:

Maybe not a feasible solution in the short term, but when HAL acquired the Windsurf, they knocked an opening in the wall between two regular cabins and created, effectively, a 2-room suite with two bathrooms. It was a relatively simple engineering fix and created double-sized rooms. 

Perhaps a similar scenario for the non-balcony rooms on Symphony or Serenity? Just a thought.

Windsurf plan below (courtesy of cruisemapper).

image.thumb.gif.86960b6ed02f749cac16c29e85e4ef8b.gif

This was essentially the concept behind the Seabreeze refits, but you can only combine too many rooms before your overall capacity drops too low.  That said, what HAL did by knocking an opening between existing rooms was exponentially cheaper than what Crystal did by demolishing everything and inserting entirely new, wider cabins, but at this point it’s unlikely Crystal could stand to combine too many more rooms without adding a significant number of new rooms elsewhere (which may be an option).

Vince

• Like 2

Nice to see you back Vince😀

No matter what they do, these older ships just cannot compete in the luxury market.  Explora, Regent, Silversea all have gorgeous ships with larger cabins and more restaurant choices.  I think the long term plan has to be new builds.  That may make those of you who love the vessels unhappy, but I think you are in the minority of luxury cruise passengers  -- most do not want older ships, fewer restaurants and smaller cabins.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It really is back to the future for the “new” Crystal - pre Genting days - two aging ships (in fact the same ships!) and non specific talk of a new ship(s) sometime in the not immediate future

Except now they also need to rebuild the back office functions and onboard teams and put together itineraries and get on with selling out inventory 

Sounds simple really!

The more things change the more they stay the same…

Edited by Stickman1990

I think what they do to Symphony will depend on how long they plan to keep her.  They can have a whole new ship for a fraction of the price of building one, or they can have a refreshed ship that serves well for another 4 years while they build replacements.  In Serenity they already have a modern hull that meets most current technical standards, so IMHO the direction is clearer, but Symphony I could flip a coin on their thinking.  When you get a hull for that cheap, your options are varied.

I have a completely different view of Churrascaria…. It’s not my favorite concept either, but it’s also not a white-sheet venue that you can do anything with.  The reason the concept was selected is because it was one of the few concepts that incorporates the buffet into something most passengers still consider a premium experience.  If you don’t use the buffet, you have to either live with it as an elephant in the room (welcome to our nice Italian restaurant, but please try to pretend that we’re a pop-up operating out of a giant cafeteria) or try to wall it off with curtains or movable walls (just plain ugly).  Crystal tried doing table service in a buffet venue before and it felt like someone bought an out of business Golden Corral and tried turning it into a family restaurant.  Also, one of the requirements of the Marketplace dinner venues was that it be a casual concept, since Crystal had none of those prior to Silk and the Churrascaria.  That’s not to say the new owners are going to keep those priorities, but those considerations are as relevant today as they were when those concepts were picked.

I also vote to keep Nobu (as if we have any say), ESPECIALLY over going back to a generic pan-Asian concept again.  I know he’s not everyone’s thing, but neither is anything else.

Vince

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, bitob said:

Nice to see you back Vince😀

No matter what they do, these older ships just cannot compete in the luxury market.  Explora, Regent, Silversea all have gorgeous ships with larger cabins and more restaurant choices.  I think the long term plan has to be new builds.  That may make those of you who love the vessels unhappy, but I think you are in the minority of luxury cruise passengers  -- most do not want older ships, fewer restaurants and smaller cabins.

Thanks for the welcome back.  😊

This is a GREAT point of discussion!

Crystal was never originally designed to compete against the part of the market that Explora, Regent and Silversea currently operate in.  While there is some overlap certainly, in terms of clientele and certain price points for some cabins, a HUGE number of us have never paid Crystal fares anywhere near close to the fares those lines publish on a non-sale basis.

While Genting’s business plan was to build Crystal into that market segment, what if that’s not the current owners mid-term plan?  What if they plan to operate it at a price point between Oceania and Regent (for example), where it was in the past?

Some of the most successful concepts in the cruise industry haven’t been to be “the ultimate”, but instead to have an aspirational but focused, nailed down product at a price that people are happy to pay.

Just thinking out loud…

Vince

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Crystal was never originally designed to compete against the part of the market that Explora, Regent and Silversea currently operate in.  While there is some overlap certainly, in terms of clientele and certain price points for some cabins, a HUGE number of us have never paid Crystal fares anywhere near close to the fares those lines publish on a non-sale basis.

While Genting’s business plan was to build Crystal into that market segment, what if that’s not the current owners mid-term plan?  What if they plan to operate it at a price point between Oceania and Regent (for example), where it was in the past?

Some of the most successful concepts in the cruise industry haven’t been to be “the ultimate”, but instead to have an aspirational but focused, nailed down product at a price that people are happy to pay.

Just thinking out loud…

Vince

When you read posts like that you realise just how urgently we needed Vince back!

Vince, you are the voice of reason and with the deep knowledge to back up everything you say.

Missed you!

👍

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Just thinking out loud…

Vince

Fair point.  I guess the new owners could stay on that path. The on board experience did compensate for the age of the ships and other "weaknesses" -- but if they want to attract cruisers who like the true luxury lines they may have to adjust.  They can certainly attract those on the upper premium lines who want to move up.