Skagway Rockslide at the pier!

WxNerd

Very fortunate. 
Someone currently on Quantum said they are going to Endicott Arm today and will port in Juneau early tomorrow. I grew up close to where landslides happened pretty regularly so I know it’s just part of life in that part of the world but I would be bummed to miss Skagway, I would rather have more time there than Juneau. 

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see if anyone got video of this.  Sounds terrifying.  Ive been there and can picture that rock wall since Ive walked by it many times.  Supposed to port there in a month on the Quantium, will see if that happens.

We were at Skagway two days ago and were docked at the pier which experienced the rockslide.  I’ve read the Anchorage Daily News coverage and also suspect the slide will be cleared quickly.  And for those who have not been to Skagway — remember that the port has three different docks with just one impacted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

And for those who have not been to Skagway — remember that the port has three different docks with just one impacted

Checking the calendar show lots of days with 4 ships in port though. So you might see some out of luck. 

No clue if the other docks can handle the larger ships either since they normally port it seems at that railroad dock. 

6 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

No clue if the other docks can handle the larger ships either since they normally port it seems at that railroad dock. 

The railroad dock is the only one that can handle the largest ships. 

From the article in the link of the OP’s post: 

“As a result, the cruise ship Quantum of the Seas has skipped its Skagway stop this morning, as there is no place for it to tie up. The dock is the only one that can handle the largest class of cruise ships that come into Southeast Alaska.”

My brother is on the Carnival Miracle in Skagway this morning, they are tied up to the dock but using the tenders to take everyone off the ship and to the parking lot, since no one is allowed to walk it as a result of the rock slide.  Not sure if that would have been an option for the Quantum or not, we also have an Ovation stop there in a few weeks so hoping they are able to work something out.  

Just FYI.  Skagway dock schedule 

https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.189/2xl.54d.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/SKG-Skagway-2022.pdf

RRF: Railroad Dock Forward
RRA: Railroad Dock Aft
BRD: Broadway Dock
ORE: Ore Terminal Dock
AMH: Alaska Marine Highway Dock

EC538A31-B7BB-49A7-94B5-632D2835E95A.png

Edited by Suzanne123
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Suzanne123 said:

Just FYI.  Skagway dock schedule 

https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.189/2xl.54d.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/SKG-Skagway-2022.pdf

RRF: Railroad Dock Forward
RRA: Railroad Dock Aft
BRD: Broadway Dock
ORE: Ore Terminal Dock
AMH: Alaska Marine Highway Dock

EC538A31-B7BB-49A7-94B5-632D2835E95A.png

Is both RRA and RRF affected by the rock slide?

If RRF (Railroad Dock Forward [nearest to the tracks and downtown]-) is compromised

that takes two piers out of service - really bad news - tendering is possible to the small

adjacent marina "BUT" two ships tendering would be a mad house.

Hope Skagway brings in some heavy machinery and puts a quick fix on this.

Since something similar happened in the past there should be a plan for that fix.

Missing a port call at Skagway - is a really really a bum deal - ruining the Alaska experience !

I am currently on a cruise ship doing a B2B Alaska set.  We were in Skagway on June 21st so before the slide, and will be back again on June 28th.  Will report then.  

The Anchorage Daily News hasn’t had any recent coverage, but it is my understanding from the ADN that the docks are not owned by the city of Skagway.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Discovery when the rockslide occurred. Clean up  was complete when we left but, there was a large hole in the pier and it looked like one support was slightly bent. Engineers were supposed to evaluate on Friday. Not sure what they found but Discovery has cancelled her next few stops there.

We are on the Majestic right now in Hains. We had to cancel our visit to Skagway.. We have a wildlife preserve scheduled for today in Hains. We have had beautiful, sunny weather since Denali. We are glad to be in Alaska and having incredible weather. Life happens and we just have to roll with it!

• Thanks 1

I am posting from the Celebrity Solstice which is presently docked in Skagway at the Railroad Aft position.  Tenders are being used and the tender operation is working quickly.

This morning damage to dock railings was evident and a large square of sand was on top of the pier surface.  When we returned to the ship we could see more rocks actively sliding down the rock face.  Some are falling to the east side of the dock while others were falling onto that large square of sand (which we suspect is meant to avoid more damage to the pier surface).   Yet others are bouncing off the pier and into the harbor.  While some of the rocks are small, others are roughly the size of bowling balls.  The largest we estimate to be two feet in diameter.  From our suite on the aft of the ship we can hear the slides commence and then watch the action.

There are large timber beams leaning against the pier in the area where the dock widens.  Since this morning some have been damaged and are no longer vertical in orientation.

My geologist husband suspects that nothing can be done until the active sliding ceases.  There is that section closer to the community at the top of the Railroad dock forward which experienced a major slide several years ago.  The repair was the vertical insertion of large metal beams into the rock surface with heavy steel mesh netting.  This may require the same approach.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3