Penthouse vs concierge class--worth the cost difference?

anonymousegirl

Hi all,

Were booked on two O cruises on Riviera, July 9, 2023, Scotland and Iceland, and January 28, 2024, Singapore to Bangkok. For the first, we're in a PH3 (took advantage of the Memorial Day sale) and for the second, in an A3. We've never sailed O  before.

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading the A3 to a PH. The cost difference will be $3100 total. I'm trying to decide if the additional cost is worth it.

Here is what we value:

Larger room

specialty dining

priority embarkation

large bathroom

We don't normally do in room dining as it always seems to arrive cold. We had a butler on a river cruise back in 2019 and he took good care of us, but not sure how much value we'll get from a butler on O. 

So what are people's experience with in room dinner service? Does the food arrive at the correct temperature? If yes, then I think we might use the butler more as the Singapore-Bangkok cruise is very port intensive with 12 port days out of 15. I expect we'll often be glad of a night in occasionally!

Many thanks for the advice!

Lori

Based on what you say you value, I would say yes but it is truly your call.  I can say once I broke down and booked a PH for my wife, the die was cast. One thing you did not mention that often is a real decision point is the WALK IN CLOSET in the PH.  It does make a difference!!!

While you might not have used the dine in services on other lines, it is really great on Oceania.  Also your Butler delivers your Room Service breakfast so the hot pot of coffee at the time you want it can be quite nice as you get dressed for your excursions. Actually I prefer a walk up to Baristas to get the really great Illy coffee, Latte’s, Americano, Expresso, etc.  PH dinners can be from the Specialty restaurants so that can be a MAJOR Plus if you fall in love with a specific restaurant. A Red Ginger Duck and Watermelon Salad and Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass can be quite delicious if you choose to dine in 

if you are worried about meals being cold, just make sure the Butler understands you want your course by course meals HOT. 

Good luck with your decision.

Ciao, Mauibabes

9 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Based on what you say you value, I would say yes but it is truly your call.  I can say once I broke down and booked a PH for my wife, the die was cast. One thing you did not mention that often is a real decision point is the WALK IN CLOSET in the PH.  It does make a difference!!!

While you might not have used the dine in services on other lines, it is really great on Oceania.  Also your Butler delivers your Room Service breakfast so the hot pot of coffee at the time you want it can be quite nice as you get dressed for your excursions. Actually I prefer a walk up to Baristas to get the really great Illy coffee, Latte’s, Americano, Expresso, etc.  PH dinners can be from the Specialty restaurants so that can be a MAJOR Plus if you fall in love with a specific restaurant. A Red Ginger Duck and Watermelon Salad and Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass can be quite delicious if you choose to dine in 

if you are worried about meals being cold, just make sure the Butler understands you want your course by course meals HOT. 

Good luck with your decision.

Ciao, Mauibabes

Thanks, Mauibabes for the advice. I did think about the walk-in closet and how nice that would be! My husband is a foodie and I think he'll really enjoy the specialty dining , especially Red Ginger and Jacques. We're not coffee drinkers, but if a Butler would get our tea to arrive hot and NOT forget the milk, we'll be stoked. 

On our first Oceania cruise, we were booked in a A-category cabin. For the 2nd cruise, we upgraded to a PH because we also value the larger space and we have never regretted our decision!  The “R” ships don’t have walk-in closets and we don’t miss it, but we do enjoy it on the Riviera and Marina.  We also didn’t think we would be using our Butler but over the years, we have increased the services that we use him for.  

Its certainly a decision that only you can make but based on our experiences (and others) in a PH, I would encourage you to try it!

Good luck and enjoy your cruises,  I’m sure you will love Oceania (especially since your husband is a foodie) no matter which category you opt for!

Billie

• Like 1

It's so nice to have dinner served in your room, after a long day on a shore excursion.  No need to clean up or dress for dinner.  What a treat!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, anonymousegirl said:

Hi all,

Were booked on two O cruises on Riviera, July 9, 2023, Scotland and Iceland, and January 28, 2024, Singapore to Bangkok. For the first, we're in a PH3 (took advantage of the Memorial Day sale) and for the second, in an A3. We've never sailed O before.

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading the A3 to a PH. The cost difference will be $3100 total. I'm trying to decide if the additional cost is worth it.

Here is what we value:

Larger room

specialty dining

priority embarkation

large bathroom

Only you know what is valuable to you. That $3100 could be spent elsewhere in addition to having a very nice A3 experience.

Having done 10 days on Riviera in an A4 12/13-23/21 and having fallen in love eating out under the stars aft in the Terrace Cafe, not having to wear anything fancy, I found the specialty restaurants didn't matter that much to us. And we bought some nice things in the boutiques. I love my RAF Red Arrows Citizen Eco-Drive wristwatch that I'm wearing right now, for example. And my wife enjoys her fancy handbag and purse. But that's just us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Only you know what is valuable to you. That $3100 could be spent elsewhere in addition to having a very nice A3 experience.

Having done 10 days on Riviera in an A4 12/13-23/21 and having fallen in love eating out under the stars aft in the Terrace Cafe, not having to wear anything fancy, I found the specialty restaurants didn't matter that much to us. And we bought some nice things in the boutiques. I love my RAF Red Arrows Citizen Eco-Drive wristwatch that I'm wearing right now, for example. And my wife enjoys her fancy handbag and purse. But that's just us.

Fair point. I do worry that we'll be spoiled by the penthouse on our first cruise and then regret not doing the upgrade from the A3 on our next cruise 6 months later. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade after final payment? Of course, the PH staterooms will be long gone by then!

1 hour ago, anonymousegirl said:

Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade after final payment? Of course, the PH staterooms will be long gone by then!

You can try but the PH usually sell out before the A & B categories

When on your 1st cruise  maybe make friends with someone in an A or B cabin & ask to view their space 😉

• Like 1

If your booking a A/B  eating the cabin  is  like a marx brothers movie.....    there is litle advantage  to get specialty  reservation as on a 15 day  it will be easy , if your flexable, to get yourself just about anything 

As for the butler situation....that is a crap shoot     2 times I had then  and they were duds   Remember your river boat was  way smaller.   

Id go for a B#3 ectended balcony. on an O class 1000 pax rather than a AB    However  if your on a R ship  ( 600 pax)    then go for the  PH   as ALL the cabins below the PH are tiny.     I have had both     Your food will arrive warm  not like  in a restaurant        The PH on R class has no walkin    

41 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

If your booking a A/B  eating the cabin  is  like a marx brothers movie.....    there is litle advantage  to get specialty  reservation as on a 15 day  it will be easy , if your flexable, to get yourself just about anything 

As for the butler situation....that is a crap shoot     2 times I had then  and they were duds   Remember your river boat was  way smaller.   

Id go for a B#3 ectended balcony. on an O class 1000 pax rather than a AB    However  if your on a R ship  ( 600 pax)    then go for the  PH   as ALL the cabins below the PH are tiny.     I have had both     Your food will arrive warm  not like  in a restaurant        The PH on R class has no walkin    

We're on the Riviera for both cruises. I am leaning towards leaving everything as it is, with a PH3 on the Riviera Southampton to Iceland in July, and the A3 I have booked for Singapore-Bangkok January 2024. Then, 'll have a better idea of which we prefer.

The Concierge class staterooms are very nice but the PH is 50% larger and Very nice. If size matters, you make to make the call, but testing both staterooms is a good approach.  We have sailed both A and PH many times over the years, it is enjoyable in either room. If the trip is a special occasion, you can easily rationalize the Upgrade but you will enjoy your cruise whichever room selected.
When you are on board in July, you will be able to see A rooms to compare to your PH. If you decide you want a PH, go see the Oceania Club Ambassador and ask if she can get you a room on the January trip. If PH’s are Not available, you can also get your name on a Waitlist for the 3 PH categories and see what the coming months bring.  Immediately after Final Payments are made, some Suites should become available and your Waitlist will kick in. People change their minds for lots of reasons. 

When you disembark in Reykjavik, give yourselves a few days to tour around Iceland, it is very special and very different from Europe.  Enjoy your cruise.

Ciao, Mauibabes 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

The Concierge class staterooms are very nice but the PH is 50% larger

Not quite 50% larger  but yes bigger than the standard A & B cabins

• Like 1