What's the best thing you've eaten on a Carnival cruise lately?

geochick73

Well, thanks everyone for the suggestions.  We just got off the Ecstasy today.  We tried a lot of the things mentioned (if they were available).   Our favorites were:   Crème brûlée in MDR, Blue Iguana burritos, the beef brisket dinner & Roasted chicken dinner in MDR.   I tried the fruity soups and they weren’t for me, but glad I tried them.  I ate at Guy’s burgers once for lunch and thought it was decent.   I was a little disappointed in the lido breakfast and didn’t care for the WCMC in the MDR…I feel like the recipe is different from what we had on our last cruise (10 yrs ago).  

• Like 1

Im a bit late, but thank you for the thread! We're going on the paradise here in 3 weeks and with zero extra dining options we're a little scared- out last cruise was the Mardi Gras in January and we had too many options!

I tend to enjoy the Indian vegetarian, the soft serve ice cream, and usually some 2am pizza 🙂 

MDR wise I love creme brulee night, their mashed potatoes, Caesar salad, and the strawberry soup I've been loving for 20+ years.

• Like 1

They keep removing my favorite things from the menu.  I used to enjoy the fried chicken that was always available when i didn't like the other options, now they only offer it once and it isn't as good.  Then they got rid of the carpaccio appetizer.  Now i see they have removed the chicken milanese.

I do like the grilled shrimp on the 2nd elegant night still.

I enjoy the spaghetti carbonara in the MDR and all of the hot soups (mushroom is by far the best). Spring rolls and pork tart appetizers.   Creme brulee and bitter n blanc for dessert.

Blue Iguana huevos rancheros for breakfast, delicious.   The taco salad for lunch is quite good.

I like the Pizza Pirate pepperoni in a pinch and a caesar salad to accompany it.

I think all the cakes on the Lido dessert buffet are lovely, but they have no taste and the frosting just peels off in one long strip, not creamy.

I always think the fresh salad bar in the Lido buffet is very good and a nice selection of fresh veggies.

I love the cold soups as an appetizer - and sometimes also for a dessert.  I had never tried them before cruising, but they are the first items I search for on the MDR menu.  The next item would be the roasted root vegetable pie.  I like to eat vegetarian 1-2 times a week and this was such a delicious entree.  In fact, on our last cruise, I was specifically looking for it because I had enjoyed it so much on the prior cruise.  To my disappointment, I was going to miss it because we were eating at the Chef's Table when it was scheduled to be served.  I innocently mentioned this at dinner the night before and the Maitre d' ordered it so I could enjoy it the following evening.  I was very pleased and touched by that gesture.   Now, don't get me started on describing the homemade granola on the sea-day brunch menu.  It is the best (and I can have almond milk with it, too).    I think the food overall is very good and I look forward to eating a variety of foods, including some I would not have had the opportunity to try if not for cruising.  

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 3:11 PM, ChuckF said:

If you've never had a Guy's Burger, you have to try one.  But by far, the make-your-own burrito at the Blue Iguana is top of the line.  Make sure to put some shrimp in there. 

On the other side from where they make the burritos, they make tacos. My fav. Especially the shrimp tacos. Their breakfast burritos are awesome. 

On 6/23/2022 at 3:11 PM, ChuckF said:

If you've never had a Guy's Burger, you have to try one.  But by far, the make-your-own burrito at the Blue Iguana is top of the line.  Make sure to put some shrimp in there. 

On the other side from where they make the burritos, they make tacos. My fav. Especially the shrimp tacos. Their breakfast burritos are awesome. 

6 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

The best thing I've eaten on Carnival lately was the sprig of parsley on the plate.

image.jpeg.e4e7a0a61825b1daa8e2f1412a969391.jpeg

Oh, no! Then you’ll be saddened to hear that Carnival eliminated parsley as a cost cutting measure. Apparently only one person ate it.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, crooooze said:

Oh, no! Then you’ll be saddened to hear that Carnival eliminated parsley as a cost cutting measure. Apparently only one person ate it.  🙂

Pity, the parsley was much better than the strip loin at dinner and at brunch. I'll pack a parsley runner and bring my own from my garden.  😉 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Pity, the parsley was much better than the strip loin at dinner and at brunch. I'll pack a parsley runner and bring my own from my garden.  😉 

I agree, the strip loin is a very poor cut of meat, thin and tough.

• Like 1

Since cruising restarted I've only cruise Carnival once and that was last month in Europe on the Pride.  I have to say that there wasn't too much in the way of food that was great but I have to say that the Gluten free desserts and cakes they had at the buffet each day were wonderful.  As someone with Celiac Disease it's rare for me to have a gluten free dessert that is excellent.  Most of the time they are barely edible. Hats off to Carnival for taking the time and effort to provide these offerings even though the five pound weight gain was all their fault. 🙂

Take care,

Mike

• Like 2

On 6/23/2022 at 7:42 PM, geochick73 said:

We don’t have a steakhouse on the ship, but I’m wondering if it is worth it to order the lobster in the MDR and just pay the fee.

Definitely worth the splurge on a night the menu didn’t appeal to you. Have done the filet and lobster several times and never regretted it!