Packing for Alaska

Ellen495

We leave on our first cruise ever (We tend not to be cruise people but Alaska seemed smart) and super excited.

Do we need hiking boots for the helicopter onto the glacier trip? Or should we just bring sneakers?

What else do we need? We assume nice clothes for the specialty dining....... 

THANKS

Ellen

• Like 1

I have long lists for Alaska packing. 

Layers for sure, rain jackets (that are water proof not water resistent), and hiking shoes/boots. Those are at the top of the list. 

I would verify with the tour operator what they recommend or offer to you. 

Also "not cruise people" might not be accurate. Lots of people get bit by the cruise bug without thinking they will really enjoy it. 

I would search around and find packing list ideas for Alaska and possibly search videos/reviews of your specific helicopter ride. 

• Like 1

Oh what do you mean by nice clothes? I would verify what the cruise line that you are going with requires.

For me both on Norwegian and Royal I did nice jeans, collar shirt, with nice sweater over top. My wife would typically do a dress for a specialty resturant but you can get by with less likely. 

Some cruise lines though are more formal than others so I would check. 

• Like 1

Glacier walking tour operators will provide overboots before you board the helicopter.  Once on the glacier, you will be given crampon (spiked attachments) and a trekking pole. It does not take more than a few steps to learn not to shuffle your feet.

There should be a very thin flow of water over the surface of the glacier so you will be walking on a very slippery icy surface.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070057.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070072.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 5

On 6/23/2022 at 5:31 PM, Ellen495 said:

We leave on our first cruise ever (We tend not to be cruise people but Alaska seemed smart) and super excited.

Do we need hiking boots for the helicopter onto the glacier trip? Or should we just bring sneakers?

What else do we need? We assume nice clothes for the specialty dining....... 

THANKS

Ellen

Hi Ellen, Alaska is amazing!  When are you going? Most people will tell you to layer and I agree. I take jeans, yoga pants, blouses/shirts/a turtleneck and sweatshirts..some with hoodies. And socks and gloves. Don't forget socks!! I would check with your tour operator about what footwear and outerwear you will need on the glacier.  We always take rain ponchos that we can fold up and put in our backpacks.  Enjoy your cruise!!

Don't forget a nice warm hat.  Gets cold out on deck.  I take waterproof clothing.  Pant and jacket.  Plenty of layers and good socks.  A small backpack is nice for excursions to hold water, snacks and a place to put clothes that may not be needed while out.  My daytime footwear is the Merrell low Gortex hiker that is comfortable and will keep my feet dry in case in rains.

We just returned from Alaska. Layers is the key.  It can be all over the board. Since we had a cool week I mostly wore turtle neck sweaters. We did bring dress clothes.   I wore dressy black pants and had several dressy blouses.  Husband dressed up with a sports coat and khaki slacks.    Wore blue jeans (black & blue jeans) and turtleneck sweaters during the day.  We finally had nicer weather on the last two days.   Definitely a warm hat.  I was very comfortable in my black puffy long coat. I could condense it into a gallon zip lock bag. I wore athletic shoes but I didn’t go hiking either. Brought along one pr of dress shoes.  We took two small umbrellas with us but did not use them. 

Just got back on the 20th. First four days were tshirt weather but the two days that we spent at Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier we definitely appreciated having the thermals, puffer jackets, gloves and hats. Plan for anything from 40's-80's unfortunately.

Thank you all so much. We leave July 10th. We are spending 2 days prior on our own (Seward for the Fjord cruise and the gold dome train back to Anchorage). Then we take the train to Whittier to catch the cruise. Any ideas of what to do upon arrival in Whittier?

Okay - hiking boots, gloves, hat, layers, raincoat. Got it! 

Would you bring dresses for dinner? I love dressing in my sleeveless dresses and wearing jackets/sweaters with them. I don't have many long sleeved dresses - but dinners are inside. Are the restaurants highly air-conditioned? (I detest that, but whatever it is, we always look glass full on vacation!)

THANKS!

Ellen

2 hours ago, Ellen495 said:

Thank you all so much. We leave July 10th. We are spending 2 days prior on our own (Seward for the Fjord cruise and the gold dome train back to Anchorage). Then we take the train to Whittier to catch the cruise. Any ideas of what to do upon arrival in Whittier?

Okay - hiking boots, gloves, hat, layers, raincoat. Got it! 

Would you bring dresses for dinner? I love dressing in my sleeveless dresses and wearing jackets/sweaters with them. I don't have many long sleeved dresses - but dinners are inside. Are the restaurants highly air-conditioned? (I detest that, but whatever it is, we always look glass full on vacation!)

THANKS!

Ellen

Dresses are very appropriate for dinner and yes you will need a jacket or sweater over a sleeveless dress as the dining room and restaurants are air conditioned.  I even wear a jacket or dress blouse over a sleeveless top on a hot Mediterranean cruise as it’s air conditioned inside the ship. 

• Like 1