How Full Have the Ships Been Lately?

jtwind

As you can imagine, our Wind Surf Monaco Grand Prix cruise last month was full. For many of us this was our third year in a row booking the cruise and finally we were able to sail. The crew was challenged with what I believe was their first full cruise since restarting cruising but they handled it very well. It never felt crowded onboard, unlike the experience on race day in Monaco with masses of humanity. It was all great fun, though and so glad we were able to experience it.

10 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

As you can imagine, our Wind Surf Monaco Grand Prix cruise last month was full. For many of us this was our third year in a row booking the cruise and finally we were able to sail. The crew was challenged with what I believe was their first full cruise since restarting cruising but they handled it very well. It never felt crowded onboard, unlike the experience on race day in Monaco with masses of humanity. It was all great fun, though and so glad we were able to experience it.

We have been interested but not signed up for this yet. What sort of viewing place, if any, did they provide? Was it covered in the rain they had this year?

The included seats were in the top rows of the K Grandstand which I think was one of the best places to view the race (unless you spring for private arrangements in one of the many apartments around the track). Even Bob Varsha, our F1 expert on board, was impressed with the location. We were able to see several different parts of the track and we were directly across from the yachts in the harbor that have a front row view of the race track. We were not covered but we had our ponchos for the rain. It didn't rain very heavily or continuously-we had a few short showers. Rain makes the Monaco race more interesting so we really didn't mind. It was quite warm and we dried off quickly. One drawback for those who are mobility impaired was the long walk from the tender dock to the grandstands. I think it was over a mile each way and we had to maneuver between a crush of people. But that's all part of the excitement of race day in Monte Carlo. I looked at the price for next year's GP cruise and I think it's quite reasonable, especially with your Yacht Club discount. The price will only go up from here so I highly recommend booking now for this once in a lifetime experience.

• Thanks 1

Thank you TakingFlight for the detailed description of the seat location at Monaco GP and overall race day logistics from the Wind Surf cruise. Very helpful information in making a decision to take this Windstar itinerary for the May race.

Star Legend in the spring for the crossing and first Europe cruise was pretty lightly loaded. There were about 130 for each of the two cruises. The next one must have been pretty light too as some people were able to extend their cruise on board to the next one at a quite good price. 

On 6/27/2022 at 10:07 PM, LTCOP said:

We are currently on the Pride and have been on for 3 cruises, since the inaugural cruise on June 9.  Each cruise has been around 200 passengers more or less.

We are the the Pride Aug. 30 for a 21 day cruise.  We are first time cruisers on WS, so a bit nervous about such a long cruise for our first time!  200 passengers sounds great!

15 hours ago, gracebest said:

We are the the Pride Aug. 30 for a 21 day cruise.  We are first time cruisers on WS, so a bit nervous about such a long cruise for our first time!  200 passengers sounds great!

You will love the ship and crew!  We have had a fantastic cruise and will be sad to disembark Thursday in Dublin.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

9 hours ago, LTCOP said:

You will love the ship and crew!  We have had a fantastic cruise and will be sad to disembark Thursday in Dublin.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you. I am glad to hear you had a wonderful cruise.  Enjoy your last few days!

On 7/6/2022 at 12:35 PM, MNgardens said:

The September Windsurf 10 day Greek islands cruise is strictly “call for availability “. I am guessing it will go out full.

Not full unless they have changed their COVID policy. They have been holding some rooms for quarantining passengers.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ryndam said:

On Star Pride now. 154 pax onboard.

We will be on Star Pride the end of August.  It will be the first time on WS for us. 

Do you happen to know anything about cabin 548?  We boooked a garuntee and that's what was assigned.  Thanks!

13 minutes ago, gracebest said:

We will be on Star Pride the end of August.  It will be the first time on WS for us. 

Do you happen to know anything about cabin 548?  We boooked a garuntee and that's what was assigned.  Thanks!

We were originally assigned 448. 548 would be directly above. Designated ADA rooms. The room is slightly wider than the typical room. The main difference is the bathroom. There’s only one sink in the ADA rooms. All other rooms have two sinks.

Don’t be concerned. We were reassigned to 449, a non ADA, “standard” cabin when we checked in onboard! It was literally a last minute reassignment. They are using both ADA rooms 450 & 448 as liquor storage on this trip!

We love the location. It is a 15 second walk when the gangway is on deck 4. It’s a 20 second walk when the gangway is on deck 5. The location is very convenient.

Rob

4 hours ago, ryndam said:

We were originally assigned 448. 548 would be directly above. Designated ADA rooms. The room is slightly wider than the typical room. The main difference is the bathroom. There’s only one sink in the ADA rooms. All other rooms have two sinks.

Don’t be concerned. We were reassigned to 449, a non ADA, “standard” cabin when we checked in onboard! It was literally a last minute reassignment. They are using both ADA rooms 450 & 448 as liquor storage on this trip!

We love the location. It is a 15 second walk when the gangway is on deck 4. It’s a 20 second walk when the gangway is on deck 5. The location is very convenient.

Rob

Rob, thanks so much!  We aren't too excited about an ADA cabin as we would prefer 2 sinks in the bathroom.  I hope you are having a great cruise.  Have all of the restaurants been open with the smaller passenger load?  

Karen

1 hour ago, ryndam said:

All restaurants open except the Star Grille for dinner. It’s open for lunch only. The weather has been too cold to eat outdoors for dinner.

Thanks, Rob.  Our itinerary will be too cold also.  But, we are really looking forward to our first WS cruise.