Hanauma Bay

rg123

I know that you have to make reservations here now (and evidently nearly impossible to get them), but is there a bus route to get there? Would be looking for a stop in walking distance of the Bamboo Waikiki on Kuhio Ave. Have looked at the bus schedule, but sorry, find it confusing and can’t figure it out. 
Thanks

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

There are, but it is about an 80-90 minute there and back. I just don't think Hanauma is worth the hassle these days. I'd just snorkel off Queen's Beach or Duke Kahanamoku Beach.

Or just take the 30 minute Uber if you really wanted to go to Hanauma. 

• Like 1

DH snorkeled Hanauma Bay in the 60s (stationed in Honolulu). He said the colors of the coral and the amount of fish was breathtaking. We did a DIY on Da Bus 4 or 5 years ago and there were very few fish. All the coral was gray (pretty sure that means it's dead). It was interesting, but definitely a "one and done" for me.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

DH snorkeled Hanauma Bay in the 60s (stationed in Honolulu). He said the colors of the coral and the amount of fish was breathtaking. We did a DIY on Da Bus 4 or 5 years ago and there were very few fish. All the coral was gray (pretty sure that means it's dead). It was interesting, but definitely a "one and done" for me.

Hanauma Bay was very "over loved" and suffered from too many people. The park closed to everyone in March 2020 due to Covid. The coral, fish species, etc made a remarkable recovery in the months it was closed (as did many other similar venues in HI). That has led to many restrictions and limitations on once popular areas like Hanauma.

I do not think it is worth the time and effort for the OP,  but Hanauma is much better than it was in 2017 or 2018.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 12:07 PM, scottca075 said:

There are, but it is about an 80-90 minute there and back. I just don't think Hanauma is worth the hassle these days. I'd just snorkel off Queen's Beach or Duke Kahanamoku Beach.

Where is Queen's Beach or Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Please?

8 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Where is Queen's Beach or Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Please?

They both bookend Waikiki beach-- Kahanamoku Beach is by the Hilton Hawaiian Village on one end and Queen's Beach is on the far other end near the Zoo. Kahanamoku Beach is sort of partially sheltered by a sea wall and is not my favorite spot along the beach as a whole. 

Queen's Beach is just outside the Waikiki District in front of Kapiolani Park. It is right next to Kuhio Beach, which has a seawall protecting it. Kuhio Beach is where the Hyatt Regency and Waikiki Marriott are, also the Duke Kahanamoku statue,

Duke Kahanamoku Beach is the last of the 5 or 6 beaches in Waikiki. It is where the lagoon is and the Hilton Hawaiian Village is. It is next to Fort DeRussy Beach, which also has a reef you can snorkel over.

And as long as we are listing the beaches in Waikiki.... Waikiki Beach is the beach in the middle of the Waikiki District and on it sits the Royal Hawaiian, Moana Hotel and Outrigger WB and it is where you find most of the surf lessons, catamarans and outrigger canoe rides.

The last beach is Gray's Beach in front of the Halekulani Hotel. It has sadly been allowed to erode. It is about a fifth of the size it was in my youth.

• Like 1