Almost Live from The DAWN, Barcelona round trip

Lois R

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Lois R was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hi folks,  I fly out tomorrow for The Dawn.......here to Philly, then on to London then Barcelona. I usually try to do a live from and if anyone has questions, I will try to answer them.

Lets hope the flights all go off as scheduled and looking forward to sailing this new ship🙂

• Like 9

Lois, we will be following your trip report and I hope you have a great cruise !  I will probably ask you TOO MANY questions as we board the Dawn in August for  18 days around the med.  

Happy sailing   🥂 🛳️🤩

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Lets hope the flights all go off as scheduled and looking forward to sailing this new ship🙂

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that all goes smoothly for flights and testing. 🤞

Have a wonderful time.

57 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that all goes smoothly for flights and testing. 🤞

Have a wonderful time.

Thanks🙂......first Covid test this afternoon all good, came back negative👍.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

Hi Lois, hope you have a great trip! Did you book P2P or D2D with Silversea? Just curious how your flight arrangements worked out. Looking forward to your “Almost Live” trip report.

Good morning, I actually don't think I had a choice.....this cruise was a replacement for something else and my TA just did a transfer.  I had booked the Dawn for her Inaugural a long time ago then I had to cancel that one......I think this was before they had a choice. As for my flights? I am hoping all goes on schedule........Jax to Philly, Phily to London and then London to Barcelona. Coming home.........Barcelona to AMS, AMS to JFK and then JFK to Jax.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I actually don't think I had a choice.....this cruise was a replacement for something else and my TA just did a transfer.  I had booked the Dawn for her Inaugural a long time ago then I had to cancel that one......I think this was before they had a choice. As for my flights? I am hoping all goes on schedule........Jax to Philly, Phily to London and then London to Barcelona. Coming home.........Barcelona to AMS, AMS to JFK and then JFK to Jax.

Good luck, Lois, with your flights, schedules and this exciting sailing.

Will you board at the main port in the heart of Barcelona?  Why am I asking?  Was at dinner last night with friends who just returned from a B2B Med cruise with Viking.  Their ship could not board right there in Barcelona.  They had to use a port at some distance away.  Apparently Barcelona, which had been Europe's biggest port for cruise boarding, has decided to pull a "Venice" in shifting sailings away from their main location.  What is your boarding situation?

Apparently after the Covid shut-down period, Barcelona is trying keep the pollution and affects of such big ships farther away from the heart of their population.  Surprising news to me.  

Look forward to hearing and reading more from you and any others on this new Silversea ship.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio   

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 254,955 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Like 1

Terry wrote:

". . . .

Apparently after the Covid shut-down period, Barcelona is trying keep the pollution and affects of such big ships farther away from the heart of their population.  Surprising news to me.  . . ."

I'm not following what the connection is between Covid and pollution, unless local people who still had it really good without tourists embarking and disembarking in their front yard decided "YES!  Let's make this permanent."  Or maybe those in charge were considering this anyway for quite some time, and Covid convinced them it would be a good thing to not have cruise ships in the harbor.

Fortunately I have already been to Barcelona many times, but one of its appeals for revisits was its easy on/off.  If this new docking plan is permanent, and the logistics become like Venice, there is less appeal to me.  Will Lisbon be next?

• Like 1

Hi folks, sitting in the BA Lounge sipping on  Vodka/Fever Tree Tonic😀. First flight was all good a we arrived early. Long haul leaves at 7pm. The Philly Airport is ok. Took a shuttle from Terminal F to terminal A

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi folks, sitting in the BA Lounge sipping on  Vodka/Fever Tree Tonic😀. First flight was all good a we arrived early. Long haul leaves at 7pm. The Philly Airport is ok. Took a shuttle from Terminal F to terminal A

That's the way to begin a flight with a good drink!  When you spoke with the airline (BA or AA?) agent on the phone, did you get the seat that she assigned you?  

I'll be reading your posts and really appreciate you doing so.  Thank you!

Bon Voyage, Lois!  

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That's the way to begin a flight with a good drink!  When you spoke with the airline (BA or AA?) agent on the phone, did you get the seat that she assigned you?  

I'll be reading your posts and really appreciate you doing so.  Thank you!

Bon Voyage, Lois!  

😀Hi, yes, boarding pass matches what she told me.

• Like 2

Made it to Barcelona and sitting at The Rooftop Bar at The Majestic. It is sunny and breezy and feels like it's in the high 70s. No humidity and lovely😀

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

Made it to Barcelona and sitting at The Rooftop Bar at The Majestic. It is sunny and breezy and feels like it's in the high 70s. No humidity and lovely😀

Enjoy Lois! The Rooftop Bar at the Majestic is lovely especially as you have comfortable weather for sitting.  We were there at the end of May and it was very hot but enjoyable. I am jealous and would love to be there drinking Sangria or other beverage of choice.  Hope your embarkation goes smoothly.

Edited by Cancun01

Good morning, just had my Covid test and all negative😀. Actually this is a different lab than originally scheduled and they were quicker and less $. It was only 60 Euros. For anyone interested they are called "PCR'S At Work". The tech was very  nice as well. So now it is just a waiting game. Bus for the ship leaves at 2.

Hi Lois - Wishing you a  trouble free boarding and great  cruise. Looking forward to your reports on the ship and ports.

The rooftop bar on your hotel looks lovely - I have had similar on another hotel nearby some years ago, and the views over the city are terrific.  A great way to destress after travel.  

Lola