Almost Live from The DAWN, Barcelona round trip

Lois R

Lois—so sorry to hear of your setback! I hope it heals quickly and doesn’t interfere too much with enjoying your cruise. I’m glad you got some good medical attention. 

At a minimum you’ll get to board first on your flights home. Happened to me once when traveling just after I broke my ankle. 

Lois, so very sorry to hear this!   Hopefully your cabin is centrally located so that it’s easier to get back and forth. And at least you know that you’ll be pampered by the Silversea team while you recover.  Fingers crossed that this heals quickly so you can enjoy your itinerary. 

Lois, I've had this happen to my ankle twice when I turned it while walking.  I also heard and felt the pop and tear sound.  I couldn't put any weight on it and after two or three days of rest and elevation along with an ice pack, it felt better.  I hope your recovery time is minimal so you can get out and about.  Take care.

Sorry to hear about your muscle tear Lois.  Admire your inner strength to enjoy your voyage but with a few changes.  Know RICE is your friend; Rest, Ice, Compression (maybe the Ship Med Clinic has some compression sleeves/ace bandages) and Elevation.

Lois ask the ships doctor/nurse if they can supply a heel lift to put in your shoe on the side of your tear.   It does make the hobbling (also known as walking) much easier. Probably could be bought in any pharmacy in almost any port city if you have someone on board who would shop for you!   What a pain in the butt (leg).  I have suffered this injury twie in the past whilst skiing!   You have my sympathy but there are worse places to have to sit with your feet up in the warm sunshine with as much champagne as you might wish for and lots of lovely food and a butler to keep you well supplied.  I may sound unsympathetic, I am not, I just envy you where you are at the moment!    

Lois, I regret learning that somehow you injured your leg.  (How do such strange things happen when your did?)  Knowing that you will be able to continue your trip, but without the touring you wanted to do, is better than having to fly home ASAP.  

A previous poster suggested that you request wheelchair assistance at the airports and I strongly endorse that!  

Good wishes for you to enjoy your trip as much as you can and that your injury will not require more medical attention either before or after you get back to Jacksonville.  

Hi, thanks for all the positive feedback. Today is Wednesday. They brought me a stool for my shower and it is adjustable so my butler was kind enough to extend th legs on it for me. I was able to take a shower and wash my hair (felt good). 

There are at least 20 solos on board and the last 2 nights some of us had dinner together. I am doing ok with the crutch but my cabin is quite forward and everything else is Aft. Last night I was exhausted from that walk. 

Oh, they are getting me those compression socks today. 

I  am in the shade on a lounger so the leg is elevated. I really don't want to stay in the cabin so will just slowly walk with the crutch. I should say lounger at the pool.

Thanks to all of you on here for being so kind.

And thanks for the tips about the airport assistance. I will talk to Mgmt on board about it in a few days as my transfers and flights are all through SS.

• Like 6

Good to get your news Lois.  So pleased it is SS organising your flights.  Yes, you  must have airport assistance at every airport you are going through.  I have had it in recent years; it can be good or annoying, but does always work in the end.  Makes a huge difference when there are so many airports with long long walks to gates.

Keep  smiling and enjoying yourself,

Lola

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, thanks for all the positive feedback. Today is Wednesday. They brought me a stool for my shower and it is adjustable so my butler was kind enough to extend th legs on it for me. I was able to take a shower and wash my hair (felt good). 

There are at least 20 solos on board and the last 2 nights some of us had dinner together. I am doing ok with the crutch but my cabin is quite forward and everything else is Aft. Last night I was exhausted from that walk. 

Oh, they are getting me those compression socks today. 

I  am in the shade on a lounger so the leg is elevated. I really don't want to stay in the cabin so will just slowly walk with the crutch. I should say lounger at the pool.

Thanks to all of you on here for being so kind.

And thanks for the tips about the airport assistance. I will talk to Mgmt on board about it in a few days as my transfers and flights are all through SS.

Hi Lois, very happy to hear from you as was worried you were worse than initially you reported. Totally understand you prefer to make the effort to walk to be with others. Take care and hope the compression socks help free up your healing and movement. Enjoy time with others on your cruise.

Hi Julie, thanks so much. It is a PITA but I know it could be worse. I don't want to think too far ahead but mind does  wander about how am I going to get off the ship, to the plane, etc. Guess I will just get through it.

Oh, one of the waiters helped and put some ice in a towel for me and it is under my leg.

• Like 2

Lois, I am sure the ship staff will help you as far as the transfer - and you might need a special one - but please if you have not yet talk to the Reception people about airport assistance; they will need as much notice as possible I should think.

I am pleased you are not staying in your suite, but mingling and enjoying the outdoors.  We over 60s are made of stern stuff, aren't we.  No 'snowflakes' amongst the retired generation.  (Is that what you also call the slightly helpless members of the younger ones?)

Lola 

• Like 2

Lois, you can also contact your airline directly for wheelchair assistance. Go into your reservation on your airline’s website and search for assistance. There should be a way to request it directly through the site. I would do this myself rather than wait for the cruise line to do it for you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

I don't want to think too far ahead but mind does  wander about how am I going to get off the ship, to the plane, etc. Guess I will just get through it.

Yes, you will get "through it".  With wheelchair assistance, based upon my experience with HAL and Princess, a crew member will wheel you as far as they can go at the port when a port agent employee will take you through C&I and to your transportation.  At the airport, either an airport/airline employee will meet you and help you through check-in and security to your gate.  When it's time to board your flight, another airport/airline employee (probably a Gate Agent) will get you on board and to your seat.  A similar process will be repeated when you need to make your connection to home.  Don't worry about.  Your situation is not the first time that this has happened for either the cruise line or the airline.

6 hours ago, Riverroad said:

you can also contact your airline directly for wheelchair assistance. Go into your reservation on your airline’s website and search for assistance.

I'd suggest this.  But, if you have a travel agent, contact the agent and let that person to whatever is required.  When I first realized that I needed wheelchair assistance, I called my travel agent and she arranged everything.  It went as "smooth as silk".  

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

but please if you have not yet talk to the Reception people about airport assistance; they will need as much notice as possible I should think.

Completely agree with this poster!  

Lois,   make sure you keep  your leg elevated as much as possible to  reduce swelling.  Get an  extra chair  in restaurants to  put your leg up on.   One cruise we did I was in a moon boot and keeping your leg elevated during meals  definitely helps with reducing swelling !

Best wishes x

Once again, thanks to all with the kind posts and encouragement. To be honest, I really don't see any swelling and asked a couple of folks if they see something I missed. Nope, they don't see swelling either. So that has to be a good thing, right?  I am still keeping it elevated and laying at the same shady spot at the pool with ice under the leg.

We had a group of 11 at SALT Kitchen for dinner last night. It was very 👍 good. I had lamb chops. 

More later.

• Like 5

Lois, I followed your thread last year when you sailed the Greek Isles aboard the Moon as I anxiously awaited our turn this past spring when we did the Grand Mediterranean Voyage.  I admire your resilience in making the best of a worse situation and am so glad you are able to enjoy yourself.  We are considering a voyage next year aboard the Dawn.  Do you find the two ships exactly the same or are there subtle differences with regard to appearance or onboard experience?

Hi Lois .. not been on cruise critic for a while but have been following your posts with interest as I'm on the dawn in Nov 2022.. but I am posting a thread today as untill you listed your ports of call I was excited to see your in Palma on 6th July which is when my husband and I are away on the island for a short trip staying in old town near where the ship will be docked !!! I did ( although I knew the answer before I asked ) If it was possible to visit the ship as we would have been able to do pre COVID but of course the answer was NO 😞.. so we will take a stroll and look at her from the pier ...

Hope you are making a good recovery with your foot and still enjoying your cruise so far ... Happy sailing 🚢..

7 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Lois, I followed your thread last year when you sailed the Greek Isles aboard the Moon as I anxiously awaited our turn this past spring when we did the Grand Mediterranean Voyage.  I admire your resilience in making the best of a worse situation and am so glad you are able to enjoy yourself.  We are considering a voyage next year aboard the Dawn.  Do you find the two ships exactly the same or are there subtle differences with regard to appearance or onboard experience?

Hi, the ships are the same, both lovely and I would sail both again.

The one thing I will say is they keep it much too cold! I have said something about the Temps may say something again. Even with long sleeves in the evenings I have to start wearing a cardigan.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Lois

Hope you are better soonest.

I am just catching up with some of the threads, and was sorry to learn of your mishap.

Hi Spins, thanks so much:classic_smile:

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, the ships are the same, both lovely and I would sail both again.

The one thing I will say is they keep it much too cold! I have said something about the Temps may say something again. Even with long sleeves in the evenings I have to start wearing a cardigan.

They're just trying to help you ice your leg – unfortunately your whole body gets the same treatment!  🤣

• Haha 1