Favorite Royal Class And Ship

1 minute ago, F27TW said:

I kinda see what u mean .. but the Olympic has a straight bow -- no rake .. the newer ones I mean actually have a reverse rake ... further forward at the waterline than above .. 

Norwegian Prima Cruise Ship | Overview | Norwegian Cruise Line

We've learned a little on fluid dynamics in the last 110 years

33 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We've learned a little on fluid dynamics in the last 110 years

I just think the  classic raked cruise ship bow is 100% prettier than this new trend bow.   It makes the ships look like a barge to me. 

Edited by F27TW

5 minutes ago, F27TW said:

I just think the  classic raked cruise ship bow is 100% prettier than this new trend bow.   IT makes the ships look like a barge to me. 

Classic is merely a temporary design choice. Kinda like tail fins in the 50's

Trying to save money, reduce carbon footprint, etc...

#savethewaves

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What is old is new again 

Screenshot_20220629-095836_Google.thumb.jpg.0c6613e778cba1b574eca159cb4d7492.jpg

Just a little scientific update

Screenshot_20220629-100155_Google.thumb.jpg.fa2f642efc371a93f7235723fcfe38ab.jpg

It goes back a little farther in history than those :

The first recorded use of a parabolic ship’s bow was by Christopher Columbus on his first voyage across the Atlantic Ocean in 1492. In the 16th century, Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch mariners used the design to improve the stability of their vessels. It wasn’t until the mid-19th century that the parabolic ship’s bow started to be used extensively throughout the world for pleasure craft. 

2 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

It goes back a little farther in history than those :

The first recorded use of a parabolic ship’s bow was by Christopher Columbus on his first voyage across the Atlantic Ocean in 1492. In the 16th century, Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch mariners used the design to improve the stability of their vessels. It wasn’t until the mid-19th century that the parabolic ship’s bow started to be used extensively throughout the world for pleasure craft. 

Thanks. I was just looking for a passenger liner people could relate to😉

Isn't the raked bow also called a clipper bow.

Probably just gives an illusion of speed

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JP350 said:

Huh, I’m surprised they would let the ship get in that state of condition, but Covid has to show its face everywhere so.

This was not a tourist ship for over a year.  It housed crew members, and was anchored off shore.  No need to pretty it up.  Just needed to keep it afloat.  

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

This was not a tourist ship for over a year.  It housed crew members, and was anchored off shore.  No need to pretty it up.  Just needed to keep it afloat.  

Kind of hard to be painting the hull and superstructure when stationed off-shore most of the time

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Kind of hard to be painting the hull and superstructure when stationed off-shore most of the time

Ya think?  Thanks.  😉  Hoping the sweet little Rhapsody has had a nice visit to the beauty parlor now...she is still one of my sweeties.  She deserves some tender loving care at the "ship spa".  

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Hard to paint when moving. It was anchored a lot. 

What made it hard to paint was lack of paint and painters. Things that require funds. Something in short supply lately

9 hours ago, F27TW said:

I just think the  classic raked cruise ship bow is 100% prettier than this new trend bow.   It makes the ships look like a barge to me. 

Still curious about your beef with Visions VCL

Vision

Screenshot_20220629-194200_Chrome.jpg.df08d5702587a39525261669f47cd01c.jpg

Radiance

Screenshot_20220629-194243_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cde02a7edbaf953143991054c80cdb48.jpg

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

No need. I know what I find appealing.

Disney ships have that 'classic' look. Maybe you should try them. They even add fake stacks.

FWIW, I kinda think Icon will get the reverse raked bow. I seem to recall seeing it on the Icon thread

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Disney ships have that 'classic' look. Maybe you should try them. They even add fake stacks.

FWIW, I kinda think Icon will get the reverse raked bow. I seem to recall seeing it on the Icon thread

I don't need Disney to provide a a ship that I find attractive. RCI is taking care of my needs just fine.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Disney ships are the most visually pleasing cruise ships afloat right now. E-Longated bow, 2 funnels. Michael Eisner told their designers make it look like an ocean liner at all costs, and it shows. The ships lines and curves are perfectly placed

32 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't need Disney to provide a a ship that I find attractive. RCI is taking care of my needs just fine.

See above

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Still curious about your beef with Visions VCL

Vision

Screenshot_20220629-194200_Chrome.jpg.df08d5702587a39525261669f47cd01c.jpg

Radiance

Screenshot_20220629-194243_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cde02a7edbaf953143991054c80cdb48.jpg

This hideous stern section .. it reminds me of someone with an underbite showing their teeth.   Uglyyyy.    Also the Viking Crown Lounge on the Vision series looks like an afterthought .. like they just plopped it up there.      That all being said, i loved the pool deck on the Enchantment with the groovy bridge things and the bar set up against the windows up there.   Nice.    Just kinda ugly ship externally, IMO. 

ENC.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 6:44 AM, F27TW said:

This hideous stern section .. it reminds me of someone with an underbite showing their teeth.   Uglyyyy.    Also the Viking Crown Lounge on the Vision series looks like an afterthought .. like they just plopped it up there.      That all being said, i loved the pool deck on the Enchantment with the groovy bridge things and the bar set up against the windows up there.   Nice.    Just kinda ugly ship externally, IMO. 

ENC.jpg

Someone once described the view of the O class stern as looking like a cleff palate.

• Haha 1