Whole Lobster Night

duquephart

5 hours ago, duquephart said:

Been on Jupiter since 6/22. No sign of lobster night yet. Am I missing something.

3 days and you’re already complaining.  My experience is on a 2 week cruise it has been halfway or more.  If you reach day 13, I’d worry.

here’s an idea, why not ask the Viking restaurant staff when it might be coming?  They would likely know more than us cruise critics!

enjoy your wonderful cruise!

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

I was on the Jupiter in April and lobster night was smack in the middle of our 15 day cruise. And it’s half a lobster, not a whole one - but you can order 2.

We were recently on the Mediterranean Odyssey Cruise early this month and it was only offered in the Restaurant and it was on either the 6th or 7th day of this 15 day cruise as I remember.

Have you tried checking the app or stateroom TV to see if the menus are listed?  Pre-Covid all menus at all venues (including tea) showed up for the whole cruise.

After looking at those Menus we discovered that on our 2019 Transatlantic that Lobster Newberg rather than grilled lobster was planned. We asked about the grilled since that was the biggest draw  for DMIL to sail 🤪.  Anyway, we were told they were not  sure they had any whole lobsters to grill.  But the next morning John the Restaurant Manager found us at breakfast and asked when we wanted it! 

We were seated at table 3(? Starboard stern corner where not everyone could see our plates being delivered) and voila happy Mother-in-Law!

6CD3026F-9A01-4F93-9514-B2F1019A13B3.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I just can't resist this but what is the fascination with lobster. Every time I have ever had it, it's the butter that I taste. The texture is the same as crab. Give me octopus or squid every time. Reminds me of escargot—I love it, but for the garlic butter sauce. 😀

• Like 8

9 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Sorry, I just can't resist this but what is the fascination with lobster. Every time I have ever had it, it's the butter that I taste. The texture is the same as crab. Give me octopus or squid every time. Reminds me of escargot—I love it, but for the garlic butter sauce. 😀

Agree with you!  While DMIL and DH had lobster, I enjoyed beef Wellington or something…

• Like 1

We’re on Jupiter now also. On the Viking app under Dining you can view all the Restaurant menus. It shows Broiled Lobster on the menu for this Tuesday dinner and Lobster Thermidor on the menu for next Monday dinner. 😊

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, gincolo said:

We’re on Jupiter now also. On the Viking app under Dining you can view all the Restaurant menus. It shows Broiled Lobster on the menu for this Tuesday dinner and Lobster Thermidor on the menu for next Monday dinner. 😊

Ahhh, leftovers.🍸

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Having lived 26 years in New England during my working career and eating lots of broiled or streamed lobsters, I can say I still loved them  (by the way I rather use the butter).   Everyone's taste is different.  I remember the first time I had Abalone at a California Restaurant that was famous for it and my host asked me how I liked it.  I told him that it had enough butter, salt and pepper that it tasted just like butter, salt and pepper.  By the way, earlier this month we had the broiled lobster and it was wonderful.  They had all the meat pulled and placed back in the shell.   

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

Having lived 26 years in New England during my working career and eating lots of broiled or streamed lobsters, I can say I still loved them  (by the way I rather use the butter).   Everyone's taste is different.  I remember the first time I had Abalone at a California Restaurant that was famous for it and my host asked me how I liked it.  I told him that it had enough butter, salt and pepper that it tasted just like butter, salt and pepper.  By the way, earlier this month we had the broiled lobster and it was wonderful.  They had all the meat pulled and placed back in the shell.   

That was Mike’s favorite…especially when they asked him if he and the guy at the table next door wanted to share a second one that the kitchen had mistimed. 

8807BEC6-D230-4297-9792-5906FB847416.jpeg

EBC538BE-9149-4A60-8F70-FFB9F6C6B88A.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

That was Mike’s favorite…especially when they asked him if he and the guy at the table next door wanted to share a second one that the kitchen had mistimed. 

8807BEC6-D230-4297-9792-5906FB847416.jpeg

EBC538BE-9149-4A60-8F70-FFB9F6C6B88A.jpeg

At least they brought a right and left side.  Fair and Balanced.....🍺

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, DrKoob said:

I like lobster for the butter, or sometimes the hollandaise they serve it with. While it sorta has the texture of crab, it definitely doesn’t have the flavor. Give me a good Dungeness crab every time. As for octopus or squid, I think I’d rather have fried banana slug! 😝

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

I like lobster for the butter, or sometimes the hollandaise they serve it with. While it sorta has the texture of crab, it definitely doesn’t have the flavor. Give me a good Dungeness crab every time. As for octopus or squid, I think I’d rather have fried banana slug! 😝

You had me til you got to Dungeness!  Make mine a Blue Crab please. 

32 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

You had me til you got to Dungeness!  Make mine a Blue Crab please. 

I think Blue Crab is another species altogether. My b-i-l hauls up crab pots off Whidbey Island every summer and we get fresh Dungeness. To quote you “so, so good”! 😂

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

I think Blue Crab is another species altogether. My b-i-l hauls up crab pots off Whidbey Island every summer and we get fresh Dungeness. To quote you “so, so good”! 😂

They are -east coast. Smaller, crabbier. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Linda, 

Go try the octopus or squid at Tom Douglas' Lola downtown. So very good.

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I am 100% with you on Dungeness.

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Absolutely Linda!  Having lived in Seattle so many years, we got used to spectacularly fantastic Dungeness crab!  I could almost live on that.   Along with Salmon.  Was just back in Seattle to see friends (it was cold and drizzly!) and had a lot of salmon and crab.  Yum.  Yum!  It must be nearing dinner time 🙂

• Like 1