Iona specialty restaurants closed?

newbie cruissy

Such a shame. Hoping it is a temporary blip and not going to be ship-wide. On Britannia next month, and it is the speciality restaurants that for us make our cruises extra special. Now if the MDR food could up its game significantly from its often drab fayre then that would be something at least……

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Apart from extremely disappointed and unhappy passengers, P&O must be concerned about the lost revenue that these places generate. 

Exactly - it seems crazy you would close the restaurants that make you money. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

There are a dozen or so pubs and restaurants in our area that we frequent on a regular basis for meals. Most are affected in some way by either supply chain issues (certain menu items not available) and / or staffing issues. One or two currently close one or two days a week now as a result of the latter. Surely P&O could compromise in this way, perhaps making it clear that some of the select dining venues have some menu shortages and will be closed on X or Y days? Shutting the venues down completely for the entire duration of the cruise looks like throwing the towel in with no consideration of the impact that this may have on those for whom these places are a major part of their cruise experience. 

+1

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Selbourne said:

There are a dozen or so pubs and restaurants in our area that we frequent on a regular basis for meals. Most are affected in some way by either supply chain issues (certain menu items not available) and / or staffing issues. One or two currently close one or two days a week now as a result of the latter. Surely P&O could compromise in this way, perhaps making it clear that some of the select dining venues have some menu shortages and will be closed on X or Y days? Shutting the venues down completely for the entire duration of the cruise looks like throwing the towel in with no consideration of the impact that this may have on those for whom these places are a major part of their cruise experience. 

Same here, some of the non chain restaurants are only open 4 days a week, staff shortages are the main reason. One of our favourite pub restaurants has removed some items from the menu and its specials list is much reduced, combination of staff shortages and supplier issues. I read last week in a trade publication that there are a record 174,000 vacancies in the hospitality industry. 

P&O need to start making it clear to their customers that there maybe times when some of the speciality  restaurants may not be available and not leave it until they board the ship to find out. Sindhu is always the restaurant we eat at on the first night of most cruises, we love the food they do and would eat there almost every night if we could, if it wasn’t open it would put a downer on the cruise. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks for explaining. Regardless of the reason, this will be a serious disappointment to many people especially those, like us, who use these venues regularly. 

I sincerely hope that P&O manage to resolve all of these issues (including staffing problems) promptly. Recovering the business is going to be tough enough, especially now that we have the cost of living crisis to deal with on top of everything else, without the core P&O product being degraded.

Many experienced cruisers will be disappointed and others (like us) are now holding back booking more cruises until things return to normal. New cruisers won’t have the best first impression. Not good. 

Your argument is plausible Selboourne, but does not seem to be born out by the numbers on board.

We had 2800 on this last Britannia cruise, and they were expecting 3000 on todays cruise. So as they reduce the quarantine zones the numbers seem to be rising.

It does seem to fly in the face of the expected hits that increased costs of living, reported reducing standards, and post covid concerns would seem to suggest. But maybe airport delays are driving more people onto cruises?

17 hours ago, picsa said:

Am on Azura in the med at the moment. 

Sindu has been closed since April, Epicurean closed last week, The Glass House isn’t doing food, afternoon tea is cancelled, and the Beach House was booked solid for the whole cruise from day one. 

The reception manager offered a standard letter confirming the situation to be sent to guest services on return by disappointed customers. 

if this was me I would be complaining, a lot. 
one or two being effected that’s pushing it but to have 3 of the restaurant’s and no afternoon tea either. That really only does leave the beach house and if that’s full the mdr and buffet. 

You can understand suppliers chains and under staffing etc but you cannot put up a product that is worth a lot less but still expect people to take it. 

unfortunately I think, especially on how we handle the petrol compared to France who block the roads, we seem to just roll over and take it. 

im on iona in November. While I won’t go to epicurean or glass house, sindhu might even be given a miss I would still expect most open if not it’s not going to be the cruise that was advertised 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, my marina bay said:

If Carnival/ PO is in as much debt as the financiers say, then possibly some suppliers haven't been paid what they are owed therefore no more supplies until debts settled. Just a thought.

Not so much not paying their bills but possibly P&O/Carnival extending their credit.

It is quite common for large purchasing groups to decide that they are not going to pay their invoices for another month and whilst the bigger suppliers don't have the leeway to find alternative customers so just have to absorb it smaller suppliers cannot always absorb it but can often find alternative customers.

We are due to sail on Iona in 4 weeks time. We haven't used the specialty restaurants much on previous cruises over the years so personally we aren't too concerned about them not being available, though we do appreciate that this may be a big disappointment to others.

What does however concern us is whether the loss of the specialty restaurants will place additional pressure on availability of the main dining rooms, especially having read reports that passengers on some cruises were unable to book tables in the main dining room on several nights.

I personally would be extremely annoyed if we weren't able to use the MDR for either breakfast, lunch or dinner as it just seems so much more relaxed and civilised than the buffet.

I know that we are all different and we have witnessed some passengers using the buffet for every meal.  In fact we have come across a few passengers on previous cruises that took every meal in the buffet and even some who weren't even aware that there was anything other than the buffet.

Dining in a cafeteria (the buffet) for more than the occasional meal has absolutely no appeal to us whatsoever.

7 minutes ago, AchileLauro said:

We are due to sail on Iona in 4 weeks time. We haven't used the specialty restaurants much on previous cruises over the years so personally we aren't too concerned about them not being available, though we do appreciate that this may be a big disappointment to others.

What does however concern us is whether the loss of the specialty restaurants will place additional pressure on availability of the main dining rooms, especially having read reports that passengers on some cruises were unable to book tables in the main dining room on several nights.

I personally would be extremely annoyed if we weren't able to use the MDR for either breakfast, lunch or dinner as it just seems so much more relaxed and civilised than the buffet.

I know that we are all different and we have witnessed some passengers using the buffet for every meal.  In fact we have come across a few passengers on previous cruises that took every meal in the buffet and even some who weren't even aware that there was anything other than the buffet.

Dining in a cafeteria (the buffet) for more than the occasional meal has absolutely no appeal to us whatsoever.

It all depends on why you are cruising. As the food in the 'cafeteria' is reasonable, are you cruising to see different countries, places and relaxation or are you cruising for food? If the latter then stick to 5* hotels on the mainland.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

It all depends on why you are cruising. As the food in the 'cafeteria' is reasonable, are you cruising to see different countries, places and relaxation or are you cruising for food? If the latter then stick to 5* hotels on the mainland.

You do not understand. It is not the buffet food that is the problem, it is the whole buffet experience, which is why some of us prefer more relaxed and sociable dining. Each to their own.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

You do not understand. It is not the buffet food that is the problem, it is the whole buffet experience, which is why some of us prefer more relaxed and sociable dining. Each to their own.

I too like the relaxed dining but if there was only the buffet available I would still cruise as the whole 'experience' is acceptable as I have not found much to be annoyed about. Our last cruise on Iona left some   things not perfect in the buffet but it would never spoil our cruise.As you say though, each to their own.

It would spoil my cruise - I certainly like to have the evening meal served in a restaurant.  I thought your first comment was a bit rude, Yorkpete - we should all remember that it is 'each to their own'.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, AchileLauro said:

Other than breakfast where I just want a juice and a pastry, then I have no idea why anyone would choose to use the cafeteria other than the MDR at lunchtime or evening. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, picsa said:

Other than breakfast where I just want a juice and a pastry, then I have no idea why anyone would choose to use the cafeteria other than the MDR at lunchtime or evening. 

I was on Iona late last month and did not use the MDR's for any meals. All my meals were in relaxed environments with no crowds. I would not bother with Epicurian or Sindu. I cruise for relaxation not food. As for the buffet, the secret is to avoid busy times. I take my breakfast at 6.30 when there is hardly anyone there. At 10am it is just a bun fight.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

When we have been ashore and get back late for lunch ,or are around the pool and want a quick lunch, buffet is fine, rushing to see a show, buffet is fine. The full MDR ' experience ' takes time. Grab and go being closed on staycation cruises was a bit of a pain, but other places were open for a quick snack. The quays, fine. We stayed in a ' proper '5 star hotel in Lanzarote recently. All meals buffet. Restaurant meals are fine, but for us, not every meal, every day. Places to go, things to see.

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

I was on Iona late last month and did not use the MDR's for any meals. All my meals were in relaxed environments with no crowds. 

As relaxing in the cafeteria eating food kept luke warm than in the MDR when you can sit and have someone bring it to you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, picsa said:

As relaxing in the cafeteria eating food kept luke warm than in the MDR when you can sit and have someone bring it to you?

As I understand it the only food that needs to be HOT is roast potatoes and gravy. Besides i like salads and don't give a jot about being served 😉

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, picsa said:

Take too long over lunch and you may lose your sunbed.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

And your spectacles!. I remember a couple asking my to look after their stuff while the nipped in the buffet for some food. After 20 minutes I wanted to leave so looked in the buffet, there they were eating a meal so I took their stuff to reception. If it was you you were very naughty 😁

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

And your spectacles!. I remember a couple asking my to look after their stuff while the nipped in the buffet for some food. After 20 minutes I wanted to leave so looked in the buffet, there they were eating a meal so I took their stuff to reception. If it was you you were very naughty 😁

Wasn't us, honest. If I left my spectacles with you, I wouldn't be able to peruse all the delightful offerings in the buffet, or if We had gone for the full MDR experience how would I be able to read the menu. No, relax around the pool, quick snack for lunch. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

The food in the "cafeteria" is quite acceptable, it's the noise and hustle and bustle that we don't want. After all it's supposed to be a cruise, a relaxing way to travel and see some of the world. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sunbed - no thanks, I have no desire to join those aiming for a colour somewhere between ‘that looks uncomfortable’ and ‘good grief’. And as for those who have been in the spray booth before the cruise and are a gingery colour - why?

• Haha 2