Iona specialty restaurants closed?

newbie cruissy

8 minutes ago, picsa said:

Sunbed - no thanks, I have no desire to join those aiming for a colour somewhere between ‘that looks uncomfortable’ and ‘good grief’. And as for those who have been in the spray booth before the cruise and are a gingery colour - why?

You said in an earlier post..........Each to their own. Trip ashore, quick lunch, sunbed, nice tan,  chill. I agree with you. Each to their own.🤣

• Like 1

P&O are not the only cruise line having supply and crewing problems. We recently cruised on Emerald Princess and was plainly obvious from the minute we got on the ship that they were short staffed and were having supply problems with many drinks not available from day one. They also had issues with regards to speciality restaurants Crown Grill and Sabatini's opening usually both open every day but they were never open together it was either one or the other and Planks and Steamers both remained closed for the whole duration. Those that are stating it is only a P&O problem and their intent to cheapen the brand or race to the bottom of the barrel are being rather silly making these statements as a lot of companies, not only cruise companies, are struggling to employ staff and supply issues.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

As I understand it the only food that needs to be HOT is roast potatoes and gravy. Besides i like salads and don't give a jot about being served 😉

We’re the same! Nothing wrong with the buffet. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

You do not understand. It is not the buffet food that is the problem, it is the whole buffet experience, which is why some of us prefer more relaxed and sociable dining. Each to their own.

The buffet can be very relaxing and to be honest, we’re far more sociable there as we always have a table for 2 in the MDR. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

P&O are not the only cruise line having supply and crewing problems. We recently cruised on Emerald Princess and was plainly obvious from the minute we got on the ship that they were short staffed and were having supply problems with many drinks not available from day one. They also had issues with regards to speciality restaurants Crown Grill and Sabatini's opening usually both open every day but they were never open together it was either one or the other and Planks and Steamers both remained closed for the whole duration. Those that are stating it is only a P&O problem and their intent to cheapen the brand or race to the bottom of the barrel are being rather silly making these statements as a lot of companies, not only cruise companies, are struggling to employ staff and supply issues.

Well this is what’s open on Enchanted Princess today.

image.thumb.jpg.d85e8135d406beaca7ded412af1b21e9.jpg

3 hours ago, Fionboard said:

You do not understand. It is not the buffet food that is the problem, it is the whole buffet experience, which is why some of us prefer more relaxed and sociable dining. Each to their own.

We now are rarely ready for breakfast before the MDRs close, even on sea days, but in all honesty we actually prefer to use the buffet  even though it can be difficult to find a free table at busy times, especially for wheelchair users

You can pick and choose what you want far more easily, and go back for more if you are still hungry. However I do enjoy the MDR for dinner.

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You can pick and choose what you want far more easily, and go back for more if you are still hungry. 

Surely just tell the waiter what you want and if you want more then ask?

3 minutes ago, picsa said:

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We now are rarely ready for breakfast before the MDRs close, even on sea days, but in all honesty we actually prefer to use the buffet  even though it can be difficult to find a free table at busy times, especially for wheelchair users

You can pick and choose what you want far more easily, and go back for more if you are still hungry. However I do enjoy the MDR for dinner.

We love breakfast in the dining rooms - white table cloth - proper napkins - comfortable -  service etc - 

Sometimes use the buffet if we are in a hurry for a trip - the buffet on Iona was really good and the seating was better with more room than in buffets on other ships we have been on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, picsa said:

The waiters are not stood at your side the whole time, just waiting for you to make a decision, especially at breakfast where we found they were a bit thin on the ground.

• Like 2

I think I'd be quite disappointed if the alternative dining options were not available on our cruise. We like the MDR for dinner, but we also enjoy the different options. On a two week cruise we'd typically use the MDR half the time and the other options the rest of the time.

I wouldn't be too worried if it was just Epicurian that was closed, as I've never actually been in there. The menu never really appealed although we liked it when it was The White Room or 17.

I'd be much more disappointed if Sindhu were shut or if the Glass House were closed for food, as these have been our favourites. I also like the Beach House, but can see this would get very booked up if the other venues were closed.

With regard to the buffet, we normally use this for breakfast and lunch, but try to avoid the absolute peak times. On longer cruises, we tend to go to the buffet for dinner two or three times a week.   It keeps our food intake down, as we just pick a few bits and pieces with a salad and have a small dessert. Also, it's fairly quiet in the buffet at dinner time, so the atmosphere is relaxed. As I am a bit deaf in one ear, it's nicer than hubbub of a full dining room where it can be a bit difficult to follow conversations.

It's one of the joys of cruising, that (in normal times at least) there is a choice for everyone.

• Like 3

For me, the buffet is perfectly adequate quality-wise - and I often find there is more pleasure to be had in the buffet than the MDRs.

But even with stunning locations on a cruise and all those exciting experiences, the speciality restaurants on board - meals to look forward to rather than tolerate - can make a good holiday so much more special. 

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

In the buffet you can make your own bacon sandwich. Can you get one in the MDR ?. Really important as if I can get a bacon sarnie I may give it a go for breakfast.

9 minutes ago, brian1 said:

OMG,I just saw on the news barristers are going on strike.Good job we are tea drinkers.

In cafe Nero the other day a young Lady had a tee shirt that said ' trainee barrista '. I thought she must really be due a pay rise. I suppose that skill could prove handy in chambers.

Ask for bacon and a soft roll

There’s your DIY bacon roll

I’ve done it (on disembarkation day I think).  No problems

Similar if it’s a sossie sandwich you fancy

I think the brown sauce is kept in a compartment of the service station (not a motorway service station; a dining room one)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, brian1 said:

OMG,I just saw on the news barristers are going on strike.Good job we are tea drinkers.

Even more funnier Brian is I had to explain that joke to my Mrs 3 times :classic_unsure:

I think I'll go put the kettle on ,hard work that was :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
'
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

In the buffet you can make your own bacon sandwich. Can you get one in the MDR ?. Really important as if I can get a bacon sarnie I may give it a go for breakfast.

I have been known to ask in the MDR at breakfast for a bread roll, some bacon and a fried egg and assembled my own. 

Much to the amusement of the staff and the horror of some of the MDR ‘old school’. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Ask for bacon and a soft roll

There’s your DIY bacon roll

I’ve done it (on disembarkation day I think).  No problems

Similar if it’s a sossie sandwich you fancy

I think the brown sauce is kept in a compartment of the service station (not a motorway service station; a dining room one)

In the buffet once. Have you got some sliced white bread ?  Sorry sir, only rolls. Do you have toast?. Yes sir. 2 slices of raw white toast please.🤣

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Well this is what’s open on Enchanted Princess today.

image.thumb.jpg.d85e8135d406beaca7ded412af1b21e9.jpg

The Princess Patter stated that Crown Grill was open every night for the whole of our cruise but it wasnt and they never mentioned Sabatini's at all even though it was open on some nights.

3 hours ago, picsa said:

I have been known to ask in the MDR at breakfast for a bread roll, some bacon and a fried egg and assembled my own. 

Much to the amusement of the staff and the horror of some of the MDR ‘old school’. 

I think I might give that a go next time, but with a croissant and some Emmental.  

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, lincslady said:

It would spoil my cruise - I certainly like to have the evening meal served in a restaurant.  I thought your first comment was a bit rude, Yorkpete - we should all remember that it is 'each to their own'.

I was not being rude . I was stating a question on why people cruise. I do it for relaxation , to see different countries and enjoy being at sea. The food ,as long as it is good (which the buffet is), is not my reason for cruising, nor am I bothered for five minutes of hustle and bustle out of a whole day. As you say, and I have said also, each to their own but the original I replied to was rather snobby in their reference to a 'cafeteria'.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think I'd be quite disappointed if the alternative dining options were not available on our cruise. We like the MDR for dinner, but we also enjoy the different options. On a two week cruise we'd typically use the MDR half the time and the other options the rest of the time.

We tend to go to the buffet for dinner. It keeps our food intake down, as we just pick a few bits and pieces... 

Ha ha, if that was only the case for me... 

I get overwhelmed by the choice and end up with a large tray of food that often involves curry, roast potatoes, some noodles, a spring roll and a slice of pork because it looked nice... Ooh, and I will just try a bit of that lasagne... 

Obviously topped off with at least 3 desserts because again, I couldn't choose... 

Nothing gets wasted though, unless it's horrible but very rarely does that happen. 

Andy 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Ha ha, if that was only the case for me... 

I get overwhelmed by the choice and end up with a large tray of food that often involves curry, roast potatoes, some noodles, a spring roll and a slice of pork because it looked nice... Ooh, and I will just try a bit of that lasagne... 

Obviously topped off with at least 3 desserts because again, I couldn't choose... 

Nothing gets wasted though, unless it's horrible but very rarely does that happen. 

Andy 

That breakfast should set you up nicely til lunch.🤣

• Haha 1

Currently on Britannia - we pre-booked Epicurean for most nights - got on board to make another booking only to be told it is closed for the entire cruise and glass house not serving food.  No announcement made at all.  When we complained we were told it was very last minute with the impression being given that 120 staff had not been able to get on board the ship - clearly not confined to Britannia on this cruise judging by the comments.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2