British Isles-Liverpool

BunlessInSeattle

On an upcoming British Isles cruise, we are planning to meet friends for lunch in Liverpool.

Curious as to what to expect in trying to meet up with them. Is there a shuttle to the city center that Viking has? Or should we ask them to pick us up at the terminal? 

8 hours ago, BunlessInSeattle said:

On an upcoming British Isles cruise, we are planning to meet friends for lunch in Liverpool.

Curious as to what to expect in trying to meet up with them. Is there a shuttle to the city center that Viking has? Or should we ask them to pick us up at the terminal? 

I was getting ready to ask the same question. I have cousins close by who “fancy a meetup” and I wasn’t sure what to tell them.  Thanks for the info.  We don’t go till next April so hope you’re enjoying your trip sooner.   

• Like 1

I may be biased, but Liverpool really is one of the most accessible city ports anywhere and has so much to offer - architecture, history, museums all within walking distance of the ship.

We were there just 12 days ago on a cruise with my sister-in-law who had never visited before. We took a 90-minute bus trip „city and Beatles tour“ which took us through the city centre and out to the green and leafy districts of Liverpool. Really worth the €16 we paid each.

Although it’s lovely to meet friends and relatives while cruising (we do it frequently), do try and take in some of the sights of Liverpool. The maritime museum together with the slavery museum is worth a visit, as well as a walk along Hope Street from the Metropolitan (Catholic) cathedral past the Everyman Theatre, the Philharmonic Dining Rooms (I.e. pub) with its interesting gents bathroom, past the Philharmonic Hall where Sir Simon Rattle had his first musical experiences, my old school formerly known as Liverpool Institute High School for Girls Blackburne House. Opposite that is the art college which John Lennon attended as well as the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts which was formerly the Liverpool Institute High School for Boys and attended by Paul McCartney and George Harrison. Carry on walking past the beautifully restored Georgian houses to the Anglican Cathedral which is also worth a visit. From the top of the bell tower you can get a very good view of the city centre and the other side of the river.

Whatever - enjoy!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'll second all of the above positivity!  I live about an hour from Liverpool and have cruised a few times from there (on other cruise lines).  It's so friendly and so easy. It's a very small terminal, your friends can stand just outside the single exit and will easily see you.  

It's a very short stroll to lots of the historic and cultural sites.  Good shopping too - try the John Lewis department store if you're not from the UK, everything in there is good quality and excellent quality (Also nice toilets!)

I wish Viking would start or end some cruises here in the North of England.  

• Like 5

The nearest car park to the cruise terminal is called Princes Dock multi storey car park.  It is a short stroll to the terminal from there.  
Post code L3 1 DL .  It is on William Jessop Way.  

• Like 3