Grand Turk and Nassau Safety Question

I've never been on a cruise or for that matter outside the USA. I've booked a Carnival cruise to Grand Turk. I've also reserved a Golf Cart to tour the island while my wife and I are there. I'd like to drive to isolated beaches, park the cart, and swim and snorkel. Is this a safe activity? How do I protect my cash, cards, and passport while swimming? Were also doing the same thing in Nassau later in the same cruise. Any ideas or suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated!

2 minutes ago, New Traveler Dude said:

I've never been on a cruise or for that matter outside the USA. I've booked a Carnival cruise to Grand Turk. I've also reserved a Golf Cart to tour the island while my wife and I are there. I'd like to drive to isolated beaches, park the cart, and swim and snorkel. Is this a safe activity? How do I protect my cash, cards, and passport while swimming? Were also doing the same thing in Nassau later in the same cruise. Any ideas or suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated!

Never take your passport if the ship. Keep it in the safe in your cabin.  Make a copy of it to take with you when you get off.  We bought a waterproof packet, goes around your neck. We can snorkel or swim with it.

We slip a copy of pp, a little cash and 1 credit card in it and your medallion to get back on the ship.
Sometimes 1 person swims and the other watches the stuff.

I would not recommend going off to isolated beaches, especially in Nassau.

There are plenty of beaches you can go to that have some people, hotels or bars nearby.  We like to have a bar nearby or changing facilities.  You also don’t want the golf cart stolen. BTW, we only take 1 cell phone with us, that fits in the pouch also.

You need a phone in case of emergency.

• Like 3

Just now, rkacruiser said:

I'd not be too concerned about Grand Turk, but, Nassau?  That's a different story.  

Exactly my thoughts.  Grand Turk felt very safe.   You can stay right at the beautiful beach at the pier that was free or hang out at and use the pool at Margaritaville for the day also free even though we had some food and drinks.      Touring Grand Turk via golfcart was fun and never felt anyone would steal the cart or anything.  Grand Turk is not a big place or is it densely populated do I think if things happen they know who did it pretty easily.    I use a bag like this for my stuff at the beach https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PHVJ7XK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nassau while I have never had an issue and have walked all over the place is dirtier and has many more poor seeming areas that felt a little sketchier at times.  If you are sticking to the tourist areas you should not have any problems but you will have to deal with a lot more pushy sales people.  Never done the golf cart thing in Nassau.

• Like 1

My advice, having been to Nassau a few times, is to be very aware of your surroundings. I wouldn't call it dangerous per se, but there are a large number of poor people and some sketchy individuals, depending on where you go.

• Like 1

My simple advice to the OP is do not make the mistake of leaving your brain at home when you depart on a vacation/cruise.  Common sense will go a long way in protecting you are your loved ones no matter where you cruise/travel.  Heading to an isolated beach is not a very good idea in the Bahamas as the island have more than their share of crime.   Should you be scared?  No.  But you should be wise when traveling just like you are when near home.   Leaving valuables, unattended, on any beach is never wise.  Get yourself a waterproof pouch or fanny pack (this stuff can easily be found on line and in dive shops) to protect your valuables such as cash, credit cards, and perhaps phone.  

Just to give you confidence I will tell you a truthful tale.  A few years ago we were on a Med cruise and were in Ashdod and went over to Tel Aviv for the day.  A fellow couple from our cruise decided they wanted to take a swim in the sea (they had swim suits under their clothes) and left their stuff on the pretty crowded beach to take a short dip.  They even asked some nearby folks (from the ship) to keep an eye on their stuff.  When they returned a few minutes later their Passports and wallets were missing.  This created a real mess for these folks.  But the punch line is that both of them were New York City Police Detectives.  I kid you not.  When we later had a drink with this couple on the ship they admitted that they were embarrassed to show their faces on the ship.  And it screwed up their following day (Haifa) when they spent the entire day (and some money) getting emergency replacement Passports.

So follow a simple rule.  If you leave an item behind on the beach you should assume that it might disappear.  To deal with this do not take any valuables off the ship that you do not really need, and always protect your valuables (keep in mind there are also some good pickpockets around the world).  

Hank

Hank

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 7:03 PM, New Traveler Dude said:

All Great advice guys. Thank you!!

I've got a much better idea of how to conduct myself on the islands. I've also ordered a wateerproodf bag to keep what valuables I do take off the ship safe.

Thanks again to all!

I would take the same precautions in the islands of any port of call similarly to how I would in a big city in the USA. Are you in danger? Not necessarily. But you do need to be mindful. Expensive purses and other things of value really should stay home or on the ship. At home I carry an expensive purse, but it doesn’t come to the islands with me. I just don’t want a target on my back that says “rob me”. Otherwise, my husband and I always have a nice time walking around and feel safe on excursions. 

• Like 1