Oslo to Bergen 2 day extension - where does Viking's included tour go?

GoNavyFamily

We are on this extension in April 2023 and researching what we want to see on our own. Viking's description of their tour on their web site states it takes you to the Viking Ship museum, among other places. I know that museum is closed until 2025. For those of you who recently experienced this extension, where did you go on the Viking included tour?

• Like 1

We will be on this extension in a few days and the description of the included (sounds like half-day) tour includes Akershus Fortress, Parliament, the National Theater and of course the Viking Ship Museum.  Being that the museum is closed, I’m not sure what they will do as that would have been a highlight.  There are other similar museums (Kon Tiki and Fram) but they’re not nearly the highlight the ship museum would have been.  We have been to Oslo before and covered most of what there was to see but somehow we missed the Ship Museum … guess that’s their way of keeping us coming!

10 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

I am wondering this myself! 
I arrive in Oslo July 1 and join Viking July 2. 
I’ll try to come back and let you know!

Please do reply once you return! And I would appreciate any other insights into excursions through or outside the ship you arranged that you enjoyed. Safe sailing!

The Fram Museum was on the Oslo included city tour in 2019. As was the Olympic ski center, high o a mountain above town.

I found the Fram very interesting. Full size, early 1900s Norwegian Arctic and Antarctic exploration ships, sleds, etc. You can walk to the ferry across to the main part of the city.

The June 10th tour of Oslo included Vigeland Park and the Norwegian Maritime Museum.  The train to Bergen on the 11th turned into a bit of a fiasco.  An hour into the train journey were were informed of track maintenance, and that there would be busses waiting for us at Voss.  When we arrived at Voss there were no busses.  We arrived at the ship considerably later than we expected. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, traveljkkk said:

We have two free days in Bergen in late August.  What are suggestions to fill the time?

Norway in a Nutshell

Walking tour of Bergen

Floyen to the top, look around and hike down

I would suggest the Hanseatic Museum/walk, but I believe it is permanently closed.

Wandering the Fish Market

• Like 3

Just now, FolsomMike said:

Related train question…is there room in the car for carry on luggage or do you have to give it to Viking to stow?

Plenty of room for carry on luggage in the cars we rode in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

Related train question…is there room in the car for carry on luggage or do you have to give it to Viking to stow?

When we took a Viking extension that included the train from Bergen to Oslo, Viking put all our luggage on a separate van and drove it to Oslo for us. It was at our hotel when we arrived. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, janetcbl said:

Norway in a Nutshell

Walking tour of Bergen

Floyen to the top, look around and hike down

I would suggest the Hanseatic Museum/walk, but I believe it is permanently closed.

Wandering the Fish Market

And check out the reindeer sausages at Trekroneren ( 3-Kroneren ) … just past the McDonalds … which by the way is one of the cutest McD’s I’ve seen!

On 6/28/2022 at 6:14 PM, Flyer55 said:

The June 10th tour of Oslo included Vigeland Park and the Norwegian Maritime Museum.  The train to Bergen on the 11th turned into a bit of a fiasco.  An hour into the train journey were were informed of track maintenance, and that there would be busses waiting for us at Voss.  When we arrived at Voss there were no busses.  We arrived at the ship considerably later than we expected. 

Yes, it was a fiasco but Viking gave us $100 OBC to compensate.

From what I gather… what is on your tour depends on if you have just one guided tour or two? Our email said one thing and the Viking desk today told us something different. We are going to be going to Vigeland and the Mariner’s Museum. (We popped over to the new Munch Museum today and really enjoyed it!)

Yes. We have two cars today going from Oslo to Bergen. They gave us a bag lunch with a sandwich, chips, apple, water. And a bar of chocolate. We also have a coupon for a free hot drink from the canteen. (Will probably get a coffee and a cinnamon roll later.)

We are “not allowed” to get off the train at stops. So that would be a plus to booking this on your own. It would be nice to get out and walk the length of the train to get some fresh 

9BBA505C-6D60-411F-BBA3-67B4E997841D.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you Liz for the information on the Oslo to Bergen train. Since you are not allowed to get off the train during stops, is there a partially open car where you could take photos while the train stops or during the trip? Sometimes taking photos through glass windows show many reflections.

Liz,

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  We will be on the Oslo to Bergen extension next month.  We have not been to Oslo, so we are coming in a few days early and are trying to plan our time in hopes of not duplicating what the Viking tour on Day 2 covers.   You have been very helpful.   Enjoy your trip.

Yes. We have two cars today going from Oslo to Bergen. They gave us a bag lunch with a sandwich, chips, apple, water. And a bar of chocolate. We also have a coupon for a free hot drink from the canteen. (Will probably get a coffee and a cinnamon roll later.)

We are “not allowed” to get off the train at stops. So that would be a plus to booking this on your own. It would be nice to get out and walk the length of the train to get some fresh 

18 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

There was a cafe care which I understand had larger windows suitable for photography and also I think a special car were bikes etc were meant to be put that could do the same. 

On our 2019 trip, the cafe car and the baggage / bike storage car were one and the same.  Viking had exclusive use of the last two cars of a scheduled train, The cafe car was two cars ahead.

Stops en-route to pick up passengers were relatively brief, as I recall. A minute or two other than the connection for the Flam train where some bikes were unloaded. Most stops had a few passengers arriving or departing.

Looking back at several years of The European Rail Timetable,  it seems like a baggage car and cafe car appear on the morning train from Oslo to Bergen on a consistent basis.