Cancelled Juneau excursion last minute for this Tues- combo Mendenhall and tram

Jlhutch6

We’re only in port 4-8pm. Will we be able to disembark at Juneau port this week and get to a kiosk to purchase a round trip to Mendhenall Glaicer right away? I’m looking for one that takes me directly to visitors center and leaves enough time to walk to Nugget Falls?? Also, will we be able to get off the tour bus and ride the Mt Robert’s Tram on our own in plenty of time for the ship leaving at 8pm. I’m not sure how many glacier buses are running with last minute purchases and lines for the tram. I have MS and can’t stand forever either! Thanks for any advise. I’m trying to avoid booking one or the other through Princess bc I want to be efficient and get both in.  

First tip don't bother with combined trip. One way is to book the Blue Bus to the glacier. 

Land Tours | m-m-tours-of-juneau (mmtoursofjuneau.com)

It leaves and returns very near the tram ticket and loading area. Check the canceling policy. 

Depending on if the ship is late and how long it takes to get off the ship and to the tram area will determine if you have time for both or either. Check the timing for the last bus back from the glacier. (sometimes it is 6:00pm.). 

Upon being back at the tram check to see if you can see the top. If you can't due to weather don't bother. Then check the timing for last tram down. and see if that will work including time to get back to ship. Likely not much of a line. Leaving at 8 pm may mean all aboard at 7:30. 

I have got to say your inport time stinks but you likely already know that. 

Check youtube and you will be able to see everything including bus tickets, tram, trail to falls. Just about the whole thing. Look for the latest ones by individuals not the ad ones. 

Mendenhall Glacier & Nugget Falls Shore Excursion - Juneau Alaska - YouTube

sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

1 hour ago, Jlhutch6 said:

We’re only in port 4-8pm. Will we be able to disembark at Juneau port this week and get to a kiosk to purchase a round trip to Mendhenall Glaicer right away? I’m looking for one that takes me directly to visitors center and leaves enough time to walk to Nugget Falls?? Also, will we be able to get off the tour bus and ride the Mt Robert’s Tram on our own in plenty of time for the ship leaving at 8pm. I’m not sure how many glacier buses are running with last minute purchases and lines for the tram. I have MS and can’t stand forever either! Thanks for any advise. I’m trying to avoid booking one or the other through Princess bc I want to be efficient and get both in.  

You must be on the Crown. You will not have time to go to Nugget falls, nor will you have time to do the glacier and the tram, it's one or the other. I barely had time to do the glacier.

As a local, I’ll give you some important info: the ride to and from the glacier is at least 20 minutes each way.  The hike to Nugget Falls is at least a half hour each way. Probably more if you want to see anything along the way or spend any time at the falls. The tram line to board can be from 0 to 30 minutes. Same to return from the top. You do not have enough time to do either of these things without constant worry about your time constraints. It is going to be the hottest, record-breaking, day of the summer on Tuesday here in Juneau. Walk around town. Visit a brewery or two, go for ice cream, *maybe* make your way up Basin Rd and walk the Flume Trail.  Visit the Sea Walk. 3 hours is not enough time to leave downtown. That’s all you have if the ship gets in on time. I can’t believe Princess is still running this ship with such short port calls. It’s got to be a major disappointment for the passengers. 

Edited by AKfamily
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AKfamily said:

As a local, I’ll give you some important info: the ride to and from the glacier is at least 20 minutes each way.  The hike to Nugget Falls is at least a half hour each way. Probably more if you want to see anything along the way or spend any time at the falls. The tram line to board can be from 0 to 30 minutes. Same to return from the top. You do not have enough time to do either of these things without constant worry about your time constraints. It is going to be the hottest, record-breaking, day of the summer on Tuesday here in Juneau. Walk around town. Visit a brewery or two, go for ice cream, *maybe* make your way up Basin Rd and walk the Flume Trail.  Visit the Sea Walk. 3 hours is not enough time to leave downtown. That’s all you have if the ship gets in on time. I can’t believe Princess is still running this ship with such short port calls. It’s got to be a major disappointment for the passengers. 

Since you are a local, I would appreciate your recommendations. We are taking our first cruise to Alaska and looking at 2 tours from different companies - one is Whale Watching and the other is Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier Tour. Do you recommend doing the tour that has whale watching and the glacier combined? 

8 hours ago, ANNPAP said:

Since you are a local, I would appreciate your recommendations. We are taking our first cruise to Alaska and looking at 2 tours from different companies - one is Whale Watching and the other is Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier Tour. Do you recommend doing the tour that has whale watching and the glacier combined? 

It depends on how much time you have, and if you will be going whale watching or glacier viewing at other ports. Mendenhall Glacier has receded quite a bit and you won’t be very close to it. If you are going to Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay, you may find it underwhelming. It’s a beautiful area and the walk to the waterfall is nice.