Just back from our Britannia Cruise. Some thoughts...

loveheart

This was our third P&O cruise and our first on Britannia. We usually choose RCL or Celebrity but as we were travelling with an older gentleman we thought P&O would be more to his taste.

After all the faff with Covid  tests etc the actual boarding didn't take very long and was pretty well organised in the port. First impressions of the ship were that she isn't very pretty and there's definitely no wow factor involved but the ship was clean and functional.

We loved our cabin. A large super deluxe but hated where it was situated. We chose the  early saver fare and our cabin was on deck 15 right under the lido deck swimming pool with a large overhang so we didn't get any sun  on our balcony at any time of the day and we were woken at an ungodly hour by the attendants putting the sun beds out.

We were a party of 5 in three separate cabins and would have liked set dining at 8.30pm however despite speaking to 5 different people with promises of them sorting us out no one ever got back to us so we all had to meet up to be in the same place in the evening to join the virtual queue. Most times there was only a few people in the queue but a couple of times we had a long wait. The dining room staff were mostly miserable. No greeting when we arrived at the table, no chit chat and we barely got a good bye.  We like to have to same table and waiter every evening so we can build up a rapport with them and they know our likes and dislikes etc. The food was good most nights. Not a lot of choices but there was usually something for everyone.

We enjoyed the breakfast and lunches in the Horizon, again not a vast choice but quite enjoyable. The staff there were pleasant and helpful and there were always plenty of tables to be found.

Entertainment was the usual fayre. The singers and dancers really put on a good show. The three that we saw were slick and professional. The 3 guys singing were very good indeed but didn't care too much for the other acts. 

We didn't pay to go to The limelight Club or any special restaurants so I can't comment on them at all but I'm sure they were all open.

We all tested positive for Covid when we arrived home. No masks were required on board till Tuesday of the second week when the captain reported that there were a few cases on board.

We missed some of the old touches but the turn down service wasn't one of them. 

We had 4 formal nights on a 2 week cruise which I found excessive. 3 would have been plenty. Not having photographers around was kind of nice but I did miss them on formal nights.

All in all we enjoyed our cruise but I'm not sure if I would book to go on Britannia again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was on the same deck as you - what a bloody racket from above!! It did decrease slightly after a complaint to reception.

We had Club Dining in the evenings and after a shaky start we had good service and a better selection of food than on previous cruises.

Breakfast was always taken in the Oriental Restaurant and there appeared to be more staff than guests but it maybe that some were undergoing training.

There was a strange mixture of 'Guests' on the cruise and a small minority where not to my liking. In fact after a fight in the Live lounge some of them left us at Cadiz!

Some 'strange' happenings on board due to Covid. The Peninsular Club Cocktail Party was cancelled and we got a voucher for one drink each, which appeared strange because most nights in the Live Lounge, where the party would have been, it was jam packed and waiters were pushing their way throught the crowds to serve drinks - a bit like the cocktail Parties used to be!!, and, strangest of all I asked when the 'Themed' night was going to be. "Ahh Sir", was the reply, "Due to Covid Protocols they have had to be cancelled". When I asked if the Covid protocols dictated what our dress code was I got a nasty glare in return.

Not a bad cruise but certainly not the best. No real atmosphere and Britannia is really getting shabby.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

Britannia is really getting shabby.

A similar comment was also made regarding Azura.

When compared to the Princess ships operating in Europe,  it does seem that the P&O fleet ( with the obvious exception of Iona) are becoming unloved, and in need of some TLC.

I appreciate that the Princess ships are much newer, but that is not an excuse for shabby soft furnishings,  dirty carpets etc. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

A similar comment was also made regarding Azura.

When compared to the Princess ships operating in Europe,  it does seem that the P&O fleet ( with the obvious exception of Iona) are becoming unloved, and in need of some TLC.

I appreciate that the Princess ships are much newer, but that is not an excuse for shabby soft furnishings,  dirty carpets etc. 

I love Britannia and looking forward to sailing next month but when we went on it for a staycation last year several parts of it re: furnishings and carpets reminded me of a city centre bingo hall 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, loveheart said:

This was our third P&O cruise and our first on Britannia. We usually choose RCL or Celebrity but as we were travelling with an older gentleman we thought P&O would be more to his taste.

After all the faff with Covid  tests etc the actual boarding didn't take very long and was pretty well organised in the port. First impressions of the ship were that she isn't very pretty and there's definitely no wow factor involved but the ship was clean and functional.

We loved our cabin. A large super deluxe but hated where it was situated. We chose the  early saver fare and our cabin was on deck 15 right under the lido deck swimming pool with a large overhang so we didn't get any sun  on our balcony at any time of the day and we were woken at an ungodly hour by the attendants putting the sun beds out.

We were a party of 5 in three separate cabins and would have liked set dining at 8.30pm however despite speaking to 5 different people with promises of them sorting us out no one ever got back to us so we all had to meet up to be in the same place in the evening to join the virtual queue. Most times there was only a few people in the queue but a couple of times we had a long wait. The dining room staff were mostly miserable. No greeting when we arrived at the table, no chit chat and we barely got a good bye.  We like to have to same table and waiter every evening so we can build up a rapport with them and they know our likes and dislikes etc. The food was good most nights. Not a lot of choices but there was usually something for everyone.

We enjoyed the breakfast and lunches in the Horizon, again not a vast choice but quite enjoyable. The staff there were pleasant and helpful and there were always plenty of tables to be found.

Entertainment was the usual fayre. The singers and dancers really put on a good show. The three that we saw were slick and professional. The 3 guys singing were very good indeed but didn't care too much for the other acts. 

We didn't pay to go to The limelight Club or any special restaurants so I can't comment on them at all but I'm sure they were all open.

We all tested positive for Covid when we arrived home. No masks were required on board till Tuesday of the second week when the captain reported that there were a few cases on board.

We missed some of the old touches but the turn down service wasn't one of them. 

We had 4 formal nights on a 2 week cruise which I found excessive. 3 would have been plenty. Not having photographers around was kind of nice but I did miss them on formal nights.

All in all we enjoyed our cruise but I'm not sure if I would book to go on Britannia again.

Thank you for your thoughts having just returned from Britannia, particularly with regards to your cabin on Deck 15.  Whilst I appreciate the savings gained when booking a Saver Fare, compared to Select, there is always a risk involved, especially with the location of your cabin and dining arrangements.  It is unfortunate if you end up with something that does not meet your preferences, but then maybe it comes down to "you get what you pay for".  Having said that, it is not acceptable that 5 different people failed to respond to your request to sort the dining out, even if it was to advise that changing your allotted dining arrangements was not possible.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

Thank you for your thoughts having just returned from Britannia, particularly with regards to your cabin on Deck 15.  Whilst I appreciate the savings gained when booking a Saver Fare, compared to Select, there is always a risk involved, especially with the location of your cabin and dining arrangements.  It is unfortunate if you end up with something that does not meet your preferences, but then maybe it comes down to "you get what you pay for".  Having said that, it is not acceptable that 5 different people failed to respond to your request to sort the dining out, even if it was to advise that changing your allotted dining arrangements was not possible.   

I agree with you regarding you get what you pay for. I knew we could be unlucky with our cabin position so that was a risk. My brother booked on a late saver and he had a much better cabin than us position wise. I honestly didn't think there would be such a problem with the dining arrangements as I don't think it's a perk not to want Freedom Dining as such and there were plenty of empty tables at the 8.30 sitting as a lot of people went for an early dinner. 

16 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

We are booked on Britannia and need to pay the balance next week. We have considered cancelling,or moving the cruise. Having spent a few hours over the weekend looking at overpriced alternatives ,we have decided to stick with it. This will be our 7th time on Britannia,so its really quite sad to see the reported decline. We have Celebrity, RC and P&O booked for this year and will wait until we book anything else. I get the impression that we are seen as a captive market. Wake up cruise companies, there are alternative types of holiday.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, loveheart said:

I agree with you regarding you get what you pay for. I knew we could be unlucky with our cabin position so that was a risk. My brother booked on a late saver and he had a much better cabin than us position wise. I honestly didn't think there would be such a problem with the dining arrangements as I don't think it's a perk not to want Freedom Dining as such and there were plenty of empty tables at the 8.30 sitting as a lot of people went for an early dinner. 

We have looked at lots of P&O cruises over the weekend. For, typically £1000 per couple you get to pick your cabin, dining type/time , get a few quid OBC and 'Free ' parking. Are they serious ?🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We have looked at lots of P&O cruises over the weekend. For, typically £1000 per couple you get to pick your cabin, dining type/time , get a few quid OBC and 'Free ' parking. Are they serious ?🤣

Yes quite... We weighed up the value and thought it wasn't worth it to us. With hindsight I still don't think I would go for select dining despite the cabin position or dining experience.

Came off Britannia today. No complaints at all and I thought she was in pretty good shape, and very clean. Much better condition than Ventura last month although much younger of course! Food was very good and service excellent as usual. My best cruise this year so far.

• Like 8

Our last cruise was in 2019 on Independence of the Seas and our previous P&O cruise on Azura was several years ago. Whilst I enjoyed it it didn't really make me want to do another cruise on Britannia or with any other P&O ship. I am sailing with Holland America next year so will see how that pans out. 

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Add to that the problem that you can still get moved to something you don't want "for operational reasons"

• Like 4

We sailed on her in November 2019 just after her refit in October that year,  so am surprised to hear that she looks unloved and in need of some TLC!  I am booked to sail on her (my 5th time) next year along with my son and his wife and his in-laws (their first time) so hopefully things will have improved by then!

25 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Came off Britannia today. No complaints at all and I thought she was in pretty good shape, and very clean. Much better condition than Ventura last month although much younger of course! Food was very good and service excellent as usual. My best cruise this year so far.

Were all of the speciality (extra cost) dining venues open throughout your cruise?

44 minutes ago, loveheart said:

Our last cruise was in 2019 on Independence of the Seas and our previous P&O cruise on Azura was several years ago. Whilst I enjoyed it it didn't really make me want to do another cruise on Britannia or with any other P&O ship. I am sailing with Holland America next year so will see how that pans out. 

I think you will be impressed with Holland and America, we most certainly were on Konningsdam and would definitely sail with them again, not knocking P and O as we have cruised with them lots of times and have a few to go on still , but the HAL ship was far ,far superior 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I think you will be impressed with Holland and America, we most certainly were on Konningsdam and would definitely sail with them again, not knocking P and O as we have cruised with them lots of times and have a few to go on still , but the HAL ship was far ,far superior 

Just out of interest are the prices similar, and are the flights included in the price, plus do you have to tip onboard 

I don’t want to knock P&O either - our next cruise is Iona later in the year. But have to say, on our 3rd night on Enchanted Princess, that she’s a lovely modern ship. It’s now 23.30 and the Piazza is full, the band is singing and there’s a great atmosphere. Every meal has been good in the MDR and buffet - tasty veg, good meat. The bar staff are full of good humour and I think most people have the drink package! One annoying thing is that we’re docking 5 miles from Copenhagen tomorrow and the shuttle is $19 each. Glad it’s just the two of us!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I don’t want to knock P&O either - our next cruise is Iona later in the year. But have to say, on our 3rd night on Enchanted Princess, that she’s a lovely modern ship. It’s now 23.30 and the Piazza is full, the band is singing and there’s a great atmosphere. Every meal has been good in the MDR and buffet - tasty veg, good meat. The bar staff are full of good humour and I think most people have the drink package! One annoying thing is that we’re docking 5 miles from Copenhagen tomorrow and the shuttle is $19 each. Glad it’s just the two of us!

Paying for shuttle buses is one of my main bugbears. I don't understand why we have to pay to be taken to where we're supposed to be. $19.00 is a heck of a lot of dosh. I was moaning about paying £4 or £5 for our shuttle buses.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

But have to say, on our 3rd night on Enchanted Princess, that she’s a lovely modern ship. It’s now 23.30 and the Piazza is full, the band is singing and there’s a great atmosphere. Every meal has been good in the MDR and buffet - tasty veg, good meat. The bar staff are full of good humour

Princess are certainly showing that they are a step up in quality from P&O,  at little extra cost. 

We were on the one and only Arcadia cruise in March,  and the ship was dead at 10 pm. On Regal Princess last month, the ship was full of life at 11pm.

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Without wanting to be unkind,  that means your last cruise with P&O was prior to 2018. 

I'm not therefore sure why your opinion is of any relevance.  

Still, as you will never be sailing with P&O again, we can disregard your comments.

Why is my opinion not relevant? I have just come back from 2 weeks on Britannia if you had bothered to read my first post you will have seen that fact.I didn't say I would NEVER sail with P&O again I said I'm not sure I would sail on Britannia again so please get your acts right before you post such a rude reply.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fionboard said:

I agree with you, we also thought Britannia was looking to be in good condition, and the extra cleaning especially in the Horizon Court was very noticeable, carpets were well cleaned between busy periods, and the tables seemed to be cleaned more effectively as they were vacated.

Of course we had nothing go wrong, so maybe that helped us to have a rosier tinted view.

Many of the missing things like the turn down service, did not cause us the sort of inconveniences we had been expecting, and overall we thought it felt almost like pre covid cruises.. Even before covid we had stopped bothering with the Peninsular drinks parties, they were far too crowded and the canapes and scarce drinks made it feel like a wasted 1-2 hours.  However we did enjoy the Baltic and Ligurian lunch, and I do hope they bring back the officer hosted tables once covid is resigned to history.

We returned from our cruise really looking forward to our next foray in October.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, loveheart said:

Paying for shuttle buses is one of my main bugbears. I don't understand why we have to pay to be taken to where we're supposed to be. $19.00 is a heck of a lot of dosh. I was moaning about paying £4 or £5 for our shuttle buses.

P & O Shuttles are free with the Select Fare!!

1 minute ago, loveheart said:

Why is my opinion not relevant? I have just come back from 2 weeks on Britannia if you had bothered to read my first post you will have seen that fact.I didn't say I would NEVER sail with P&O again I said I'm not sure I would sail on Britannia again so please get your acts right before you post such a rude reply.

You didn't say that you had just come back from Britannia.  You said that your last cruise was on Azura.

You also said that you didnt want to cruise with P&O again. 

So, why did you change your mind ?

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You didn't say that you had just come back from Britannia.  You said that your last cruise was on Azura.

You also said that you didnt want to cruise with P&O again. 

So, why did you change your mind ?

I started this thread so I did in fact say that I had just come back from Britannia. I  also said that my recent experience didn't  make me want to sail on Britannia or any other P&O ship but I never said I wouldn't book with them ever again. 

• Like 1