Seattle Marriott Renaissance

Hotel is not particularly near tourist locations.  It is literally overlooks  I-5 freeway, and is next to an I-5 on-ramp.  To return to the hotel after sightseeing, you will be walking up hills.

I think this hotel is better suited for on-site conferences, and folks in town for all the world class medical facilities on "Pill Hill" located nearby.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Hotel is not particularly near tourist locations.  It is literally overlooks  I-5 freeway, and is next to an I-5 on-ramp.  To return to the hotel after sightseeing, you will be walking up hills.

I think this hotel is better suited for on-site conferences, and folks in town for all the world class medical facilities on "Pill Hill" located nearby.

Thank you. I assume the marriott at SeaTac isn't near anything either. What about the W Hotel 1610 2nd Ave Seattle? 

18 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

You seem to know what's going on in Seattle - do you know what the situation is with the protests?  We are coming in Wednesday night and staying at the airport but Thursday we are supposed to stay downtown.  Wanted to be able to walk around and do the tourist stuff but don't want to be near the protests so we may opt to stay out of downtown.  

I assume the pro-choice protest marches?  I don't believe any are scheduled for the coming week.  The big one (which was peaceful) was two days ago.  

If you're thinking about other protests, like the BLM protests, those were two years ago.   Nothing going on now.

As for the OP and the Renaissance Hotel, it's at the top of one of the steepest hills in our very hilly city.  There used to be a cable car stop (like those in San Francisco) opposite where the hotel is now located.

What about the W Hotel 1610 2nd Ave Seattle? 

Certainly a better location, closer to more activities, restaurants, etc.

15 minutes ago, lovetotraveltx said:

Thank you. I assume the marriott at SeaTac isn't near anything either. What about the W Hotel 1610 2nd Ave Seattle?

I believe the W is actually on 4th Ave.  If that is the W Hotel (on 4th Ave, and not 2nd) that you are interested in, then I think it is a fine location.  Still hilly, but there are less hilly routes returning to your hotel from Pike Place or Westlake.  Pike and Pine are more flat, but the area around 3rd and Pine has been a problematic area even in the 80's.  Best to avoid, or just be self-aware of your surroundings.  When you are around Westlake Center (Lightrail station/shopping/monorail), easiest way back to your hotel is up 4th Ave.

4 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

I assume the pro-choice protest marches?  I don't believe any are scheduled for the coming week.  The big one (which was peaceful) was two days ago.  

If you're thinking about other protests, like the BLM protests, those were two years ago.   Nothing going on now.

@Gardyloothank you my friend for answering that question.  Sometimes I just want to bang my head on my desk with the misconceptions about Seattle.  Sitting here and looking out on all this natural beauty, I feel so fortunate living here. 

Ferry Watcher

PXL_20220626_164222212.jpg

PXL_20220626_164624208.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

As for the OP and the Renaissance Hotel, it's at the top of one of the steepest hills in our very hilly city.

Steep hill walking down the hill?  Be sure the brakes on your shoes work.  Steep hill walking back to the hotel?  Be sure you don't have shortness of breath issues.  During my first visit to Seattle many years ago, this hotel was the Stouffer's Hotel Madison where I stayed.  Good memories of the hotel, but, as a tourist, not of the location.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

As for the OP and the Renaissance Hotel, it's at the top of one of the steepest hills in our very hilly city.  There used to be a cable car stop (like those in San Francisco) opposite where the hotel is now located.

What about the W Hotel 1610 2nd Ave Seattle? 

Certainly a better location, closer to more activities, restaurants, etc.

Yes I was talking about the pro-choice marches. The reason I ask is I read an article about someone getting pepper sprayed by Antifa members.  Thanks for the info.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:54 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

@Gardyloothank you my friend for answering that question.  Sometimes I just want to bang my head on my desk with the misconceptions about Seattle.  Sitting here and looking out on all this natural beauty, I feel so fortunate living here. 

Ferry Watcher

PXL_20220626_164222212.jpg

PXL_20220626_164624208.jpg

Shhh...house prices are high enough 😉

• Like 2

@lovetotraveltx
Look into the Westin at 1900 5th, I am using Marriott point for my pre-cruise stay there. I take the train (Link) to Westlake station and it’s just 1-2 blocks away. 
It is very walkable.  The only hard hill is the one right at Pike Market, but it’s worth it to get my Piroshky and Beechers Maz-n-cheese.

On 6/28/2022 at 9:32 AM, SLC1954 said:

@lovetotraveltx
The only hard hill is the one right at Pike Market, but it’s worth it to get my Piroshky and Beechers Maz-n-cheese.

Actually, if you just walk down to Pike Street, it's level onto Pike Place.  The hill you're talking about is a block or two (or three) north of Pike Street - 

Pike at First and Pike Place - https://goo.gl/maps/98X9MNTHCrSAn4yYA

First and Pine (1 block north) - https://goo.gl/maps/7B1utDkSkD1p7RBz6