Hilton Rome Airport

AC2

We had to stay overnight at the Hilton Rome Airport hotel last November after disembarking from the Riviera.  We had a very early flight the next morning.  The hotel was great and the room was clean and a nice size.  We had dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was good also.  The staff was very accommodating as we had to check-in for our flight by 5am and even though it was not scheduled that early, they had the shuttle take us to the terminal so that we didn’t have to call a taxi or walk with our cruise luggage. 

We would definitely stay there again if our cruise ended in Rome.  Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.  

Billie

• Like 1

We stayed at the Hilton June 1. I agree with mountain grandma’s remarks. The only drawback was that the air conditioning in the room could not be adjusted to a low enough temperature to make it comfortable for sleeping. It was hot in Italy when we were there, high 80’s. It was easy to walk to the check in area in the terminal. We didn’t have that much luggage and I didn’t even know the Hilton had a shuttle since it’s connected to the airport! If you have any specific questions about the hotel please ask.

Thank you for the info, our cruise ends in Rome, we are planning to stay for a few more days and then going to London for a few more before returning to the US. Just wondering if 3 days would be appropriate stay for an airport hotel.

Dear AC2:

The Rome Airport Hilton is a very nice hotel with good service and decent restaurants. I would not stay there for three days when Rome and all of its wonderful sights and great food is only 1+ hours away.  I would stay in Rome and either private car service or taxi to the airport.  if you have an early flight spend your third night at the airport Hilton.  Going back and forth to Rome each day is a hassle and wastes "valuable time".  My personal opinion.

Joel Barry

Joel is right on with his assessment of the situation. Hilton was not running their shuttle into Rome when I stayed there. You could take the Leonardo Express train from the airport each day but what a hassle. We had two nights after our cruise before we flew home. We chose to spend the first night in Rome proper so we would have easy access to the sights. We had arranged transport to the Airport Hilton with Rome Cabs for the next afternoon and everything worked out perfectly. Wishing you the same. 

Its a great transit hotel.  Clean and comfortable.  We arrived one trip at 9:00 pm and slept there for one night to save a few dollars then checked into our hotel in the city the next morning.  But… stay in Rome while you are there.  You will be walking miles and nothing is like heading to your hotel for a break during the day.  That is impossible at the airport Hilton.  The Leonardo express is only 25 min but you still have to get to termini first which not near most of the sights, aside from the colosseum and forum.

Thank you for all the advice......have changed my mind (whats left of it) now will stay in Rome, then to Naples and on to London. thanks again.

Dennis

Even better, if your stay is briefer than two or three days, I can thoroughly recommend Hotel Tiber, in the village of Fiumicino, close to the airport.  It's a lovely, modern hotel with an excellent restaurant and bar, and provides a shuttle service to the airport.  We have stayed there a couple of times, while waiting for flights home to our southern hemisphere homeland, and really enjoyed its comfort and superb location, almost on the banks of the ancient Tevere (Tiber) River.  This relaxing village removed from the hectic bustle of its big eternal city neighbour used to be Rome's seaport in ancient days, before the sea  retreated to the present coastline.  A fabulous experience is walking down to greet the fishing boats returning to their berths near the hotel in the morning (they depart about 2am).  Roman restaurants send their staff to haggle for the daily catch.  It goes without saying that there are numerous little seafood restaurants and trattorias lining the streets of this charming village, and the offerings couldn't be fresher.  Not far away is the awesome, ancient, Roman site of Ostia Antica.  Walk these ancient, cleverly excavated and preserved streets, and you can almost feel their original inhabitants walking with you.  Having said all that, Rome itself is a living museum, if you can forgive the littering problem.  I can say that because my husband was born in Italy, although in the far northern border region of Friuli, close to Austria and Slovenia, a long way from Rome.  He, like me, is always horrified at the condition of the streets, but Rome's beauty and elegance always seems to shine through.  You need at least three to four days, preferably longer, to really explore Rome's wonders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 4:25 PM, AC2 said:

Thank you for the info, our cruise ends in Rome, we are planning to stay for a few more days and then going to London for a few more before returning to the US. Just wondering if 3 days would be appropriate stay for an airport hotel.

For an extended visit, I recommend the Marriott that is right next to the Borghese Museum. Great hotel with multiple great restaurants within a couple of blocks. Subway system is close. We had an early flight out and our driver, arranged by the hotel had us at the airport in plenty of time .

The hotel has a great rooftop restaurant overlooking parts of the City where a delightful breakfast is served. Pre book your tour of the Borghese  early in the morning to beat the crowd, and enjoy the quick easy walk in the park to the mansion. To me, this is the greatest museum in Rome!

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

For an extended visit, I recommend the Marriott that is right next to the Borghese Museum. Great hotel with multiple great restaurants within a couple of blocks. Subway system is close. We had an early flight out and our driver, arranged by the hotel had us at the airport in plenty of time .

The hotel has a great rooftop restaurant overlooking parts of the City where a delightful breakfast is served. Pre book your tour of the Borghese  early in the morning to beat the crowd, and enjoy the quick easy walk in the park to the mansion. To me, this is the greatest museum in Rome!

I agree.  The Villa Borghese and its gardens are not only a tranquil respite (enjoy the ride on the little tram running through the grounds) but also a storehouse of some of the world's greatest art treasures.  We stayed a few visits ago in the Sofitel, very close to Borghese, also with a lovely rooftop restaurant and bar, and only a few paces from the iconic Via Veneto.

Pinot, thanks for the Marriott tip.  We always stay at the St Regis, beautiful but the pricing lately is just ridiculous to the point of being insulting.  It’s even double the Hassler.  We have stayed there many times but sadly, looking for a new property in the Marriott family.

Have been to Italy (and the airport Hilton) many times and would offer this assessment.  If you are an early flight than the airport Hilton is an excellent option.  We like the fact that there is a covered walkway (you must walk outside the main hotel entrance and go a few feet) that leads from the hotel through one of the FCO parking garages into the terminal.  We have no problem rolling our luggage and prefer walking to waiting around for a shuttle.   The hotel is a typical large Hilton.

However, we would not use this hotel for anything other than an early morning flight.  Otherwise, we much prefer to stay in Rome (our preferred area is in the Campo dei Firori - Piazza Navona area).  There is nothing easy (or fast) about moving between the airport Hilton and Rome for those that would seek to use this hotel for more than a pre-flight.  If their shuttle into Rome is working it is a pretty long ride and involves the usual waiting for a shuttle van.  Going over to the airport to use the Leonardo Express is an option but also somewhat of a pain considering the walk (or waiting for the shuttle) back and forth to the airport's internal train station...not to mention paying for the train and waiting.   Compare this to staying in the heart of Rome, and having easy access to Rom's sites and numerous eating venues.

Hank

Agree with Hlitner.  We've done both.  In 2019 we needed the Hilton due to early morning flights.  However, our recently completed cruise a couple weeks ago we had additional built-in time in Rome, so stayed in central Rome. For those early flights, the Hilton was great.  We also did not mind the walk under the covered walkway.  The restaurant was delicious, and the service we received was very good.  

This recent trip, we spent 2 nights at the Hotel Manfredi near the Spanish steps, and it was  fantastic, oozing with charm. Apparently there is a hotel with the same name close to the Colosseum.  Ours, by the Spanish steps, was a true boutique hotel on a very small street, and lots of restaurants all around.  That is the charm we were looking  for!

• Like 1