American Airlines Premium Economy

RTR 21-0

Booking our trip to Rome next May on American Airlines in Premium Economy on a 772-Boening 777.   Shows a 2-4-2 seat configuration with three rows in PE.  Since it's so far out seat selection is pretty open.  I'm aware flights can change before then but for now we are looking at seats 13 A/C or 13 J/L (two seats on either side of the 4 seat middle section) mainly for that extra leg room.  Row 15 doesn't look appealing to hubby because he said the seats look like they don't recline as far back (looks like a partition behind it).  The AA agent I spoke with said if someone with a baby needs a bassinette they would be moved to row 13 and we would possibly be moved to another row, although she did say she doesn't think that many people fly internationally with babies.  Row 14 looks like there's also plenty of leg room but not sure how far back the seats recline and don't want someone reclining in my lap for 8 hours lol.  

For all of you frequent international fliers who have flown on this airplane in PE, which seats do you prefer and why?  This will be our first international flight and looking for any suggestions from the pros on seat selection and also tips to make the flight more comfortable.  Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Row 14 looks like there's also plenty of leg room but not sure how far back the seats recline and don't want someone reclining in my lap for 8 hours lol. 

That extra recline that makes YOUR premium economy seat desirable is the same extra recline that puts someone "in your lap".

You are going to be asleep for much of that time.

Concur that there are more passengers with bassinette babies than you would assume.  And yes, they will move you elsewhere, regardless of what you may have chosen.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 4:39 PM, FlyerTalker said:

That extra recline that makes YOUR premium economy seat desirable is the same extra recline that puts someone "in your lap".

Whatever class that I book (unless it's Business Class where seat recline is really not an issue), I am VERY aware of what reclining my seat does to the person behind me.  A FCO to EWR flight on a Continental flight in Economy provided an unforgettable lesson.  The person in front of me reclined his seat to its maximum as soon as possible after we departed FCO.  He kept that way until he had to return to its normal position before landing.  My lunch tray, my snack tray:  all were in such a position that was most unpleasant for dining.  Then, climbing out of my seat and over my seatmate (I had a window seat) to get to the lavatory!  (One reason I never will again book a window seat on such a flight!)

Be considerate people!  Don't use the full recline (if whatever those limits may be) of those seats!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Whatever class that I book (unless it's Business Class where seat recline is really not an issue), I am VERY aware of what reclining my seat does to the person behind me.  A FCO to EWR flight on a Continental flight in Economy provided an unforgettable lesson.  The person in front of me reclined his seat to its maximum as soon as possible after we departed FCO.  He kept that way until he had to return to its normal position before landing.  My lunch tray, my snack tray:  all were in such a position that was most unpleasant for dining.  Then, climbing out of my seat and over my seatmate (I had a window seat) to get to the lavatory!  (One reason I never will again book a window seat on such a flight!)

Be considerate people!  Don't use the full recline (if whatever those limits may be) of those seats!

The same thing happened to me on a 4 hour flight and it was very unpleasant. The guy wouldn’t move it up.  We’re always respectful of those sitting behind us but know it’s not guaranteed from

those in front of us.   Might have to take our chance on that front row and see which way the dice rolls. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to be the contrarian.

Especially on an overnight flight, I'm reclining into the position of maximum comfort.  Let's be blunt - I paid for the ability to recline to a larger extent and choose to use it.  When I'm in business, how that impacts the passenger behind me doesn't come into play, but if I have bought a PE seat, I use it.

Want to fly where no one else can recline into you?  Try Ryanair, Frontier, or some similar discount airline.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Even if one paid for the recline or needs to recline for health reasons unbeknownst to the person behind?

Is that not part of the fare paid experience which we need to be ready for, rather we like it or not (upgrade price or seat location or seat type or ???) yet it sounds like an airline complaint rather than a passenger complaint or challenge even if cause by same. IMO

Unfortunately, when we pay for cattle steerage, we get treated as such...

When I travel coach, it is always aisle seat, no matter the additional cost in order to avoid a few of the issues you dealt with, especially on a long flight.

bon voyage

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Let's be blunt - I paid for the ability to recline to a larger extent and choose to use it

Of course.  But, doesn't one's conscious questions that "right" that you purchased?

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Is that not part of the fare paid experience which we need to be ready for,

Of course.  I am realistic.  I know what I have bought.

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

when we pay for cattle steerage, we get treated as such..

I try to have a bit of concern for my fellow "cows" behind and around me.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I try to have a bit of concern for my fellow "cows" behind and around me.  

I laud you for that... Which means that if someone needed to be more 'comfortable' on the same flight in front of you, they need to forego that because it would be considered 'rude' to do so?

Or is it your posit that if there is such a requirement, for medical or physical requirements, they need not be flying or best case scenario, seated in front of you, regardless?

Then how to know if it is for medical reasons vs just because, unless one asks?

I have been in similar positions often when flying coach and have set my personal parameters for flying coach just because of this type of situation and others.

I do not want to have to worry about the person in front of me for hours upon hours and wishing they would change their behaviour for my greater comfort. Would be nice, though.

bon voyage

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

they need to forego that because it would be considered 'rude' to do so?

Yes.  Unless they asked me if it would be OK to do.  How often does that happen?

8 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Or is it your posit that if there is such a requirement, for medical or physical requirements, they need not be flying or best case scenario, seated in front of you, regardless?

If there is a medical or physical reason for them to fully recline their seat for a long flight, defined as a trans-continental or international flight, I would accept such a situation.  (It might be me that required that.)  But, would the passenger behind that person know that was needed?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you buy a seat, are you aware that the person in front of you can, and often will, recline into "your space"?  If so, you are accepting that as part of your ticket purchase.  And if not, you are gravely naive.

Let's see if we can sum it up.  A person buys a seat with greater recline and pays a premium for such a seat.  But he should not use that function that was part of his purchase - because in doing so, it intrudes on the "Personal Space" of the person sitting behind them.  AKA.....you.

Yep....it's the guy in front who's the inconsiderate and entitled one.  I guess.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

When you buy a seat, are you aware that the person in front of you can, and often will, recline into "your space"?  If so, you are accepting that as part of your ticket purchase.  And if not, you are gravely naive.

Just a simple question, are you courteous enough to put your seat upright when meals are being served and eaten?

I have always felt it was bad manners to continue to recline my seat when people were trying to eat.

• Like 5

Net, Net, Net - the take away, for me at least, check seating info before booking to be sure if it is 'acceptable' on long haul flights...

If not, find an airline which is...???

bon voyage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

Just a simple question, are you courteous enough to put your seat upright when meals are being served and eaten?

You are supposed to put your seat upright during meal service.  If not, the FA can put it up for you, at the request of the passenger behind you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

You are supposed to put your seat upright during meal service.  If not, the FA can put it up for you, at the request of the passenger behind you.

Unfortunately I have not experienced this all the time, either with the FA requesting it or people being kind enough to do it themselves. One reason we try to get either first class or business class flights in the USA. That and the many oversized, to our mind, carry-on luggage which means our bags are less likely to get on except as checked luggage.

• Like 2

I don’t recall whether the row in front of the bulkhead has a full recline, OP might want to check SeatGuru for that info.
I found AA PE seats poorly designed and uncomfortable. AA food and beverage service and quality was also lacking.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 4:13 PM, garlinn said:

I have flown the back row in AA Premium Economy several times on different aircraft. They all  are  capable of fully reclining.

Thanks for that info.  Do you recall how far bag the middle row reclined while you were sitting in the back row?  I’ve seen a few videos and pics that looks like there’s plenty of leg and recline room in PE. Of course I also know until you’re actually on a plane those videos and pics can be deceiving.  

6 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Thanks for that info.  Do you recall how far bag the middle row reclined while you were sitting in the back row?  I’ve seen a few videos and pics that looks like there’s plenty of leg and recline room in PE. Of course I also know until you’re actually on a plane those videos and pics can be deceiving.  

The  seats recline 6". I am 6' tall and have  more than enough leg/knee room with the seat in front fully reclined. Just a personal preference, I would take the back row over the front. In the front you have the TV screen that folds down and no under seat storage. 

Another option is to book economy and pay extra to move up to the main cabin extra seats.

Go to Seat Guru to see the specs. for the various seats. https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_777-200ER_E.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, garlinn said:

Another option is to book economy and pay extra to move up to the main cabin extra seats.

As long as you know that MCE gives you more legroom, but is the same seat and same seat width as with regular economy.  PE is an entirely different seat, with different dimensions.

• Like 3

I have flown AA Premium Economy in every row. Front, middle, and back.  Have always picked the two seat selection.  My fav is the front row. Lots of leg room.  I can stick my feet straight and can not come close to the bulkhead wall.  The overhead bins are huge so I have no need to put a bag by my seat. Also, FYI Delta now have seats in Comfort + that slide when you recline; so you do not bother the person behind you when you recline.  I flew comfort + last week from Dublin-Boston

• Like 2

I'll post this question here since it's a related topic. 

Looking at flights DFW-LHR, have the option at the same price in PE for either AA 77W Boeing 777 or BA 789 Boeing 787. Any opinions/experience on which would be the best choice for PE? I've flown the AA PE there before and had no real issues or dislikes. 

Thanks

The 787 has the touch screen windows.  You can lighten or darken the windows by touching them.  The 777 is an old aircraft;  at least 20 years old; so the technology would not be as advanced as the 787.  I've flown both aircraft at least four times; and the bathroom on 787 are way better than 777

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1