any chance Arrivecan will go away?

I think that is a supper fair comment.  If the sole purpose is to determine if your vaccinated or not which it seems it is/was then it will likely go but if the Canadian Government wants to use it to replace customs forms and what not then it will be here to stay, it might become one of those recommended things to speed through the line.    But all that said this is a Government of Canada thing so really your guess is as good as mine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sunsetme said:

What purpose does it serve at this point?

They use it to aid in verifying vaccine status.

If every country had high vaccination rates and provided a Govt issued vaccination status and QR Code that can be scanned like the passport, it could probably be shut down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sunsetme said:

we don't all have internet access when we are traveling.

You can go in right now at home and fill in the preliminary information (name, passport number, etc.) then within 72 hours of entering Canada fill the rest in.  If you are boarding a cruise ship, it must be filled in prior to boarding.  There's free Wifi everywhere.

• Like 2

Agree that it really is a simple form to complete. And times have changed- once upon a time there were long forms to fill out prior to entering a foreign country. Visas to apply for months in advance. And you had to register upon arrival, and hotels took your passports. Smart phones are everywhere- the Maasai had them in the middle of the Serengeti as did islanders in Papua New Guinea, despite having no electricity. (They found someone with generators to charge their phones). The future is now. Most visas can be applied for and received online.

And if I can figure it out at age 76, anyone can. 

• Like 1

Our family just got off the Grand Princess on June 22 in Vancouver.  The ONLY person who even asked about the ArriveCan app was our cabin steward when we boarded on June 15.  Nobody after that ever mentioned it.  Nobody certainly ever asked to see the QR code.  If fact, after we got off the ship, Canadian customs took our paper customs form but never looked at our passports, ArriveCan or anything else.  Nobody even checked our ID at all until be got to US Customs in the Vancouver airport.  That's right we got boarding passes without any ID check.   There was not any interest on anyone's part  in ArriveCan.  There was women on our ship to airport whose phone lost her ArriveCan stuff so she was trying to frantically re-enter it.  She shouldn't have been stressed.  NOBODY CARED.  Probably just a Canadian joke on Americans.

As understand it, ArriveCAN is connected to your passports  they don’t actually need to see it once it’s completed. We arrived back in Canada in may and the only ones being asked to see proof were those who hadn’t filled it in. There was a dedicated desk to help people fill it in.  All those who had submitted were just checked through normally 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, martinprof said:

Our family just got off the Grand Princess on June 22 in Vancouver.  The ONLY person who even asked about the ArriveCan app was our cabin steward when we boarded on June 15.  Nobody after that ever mentioned it.  Nobody certainly ever asked to see the QR code.  If fact, after we got off the ship, Canadian customs took our paper customs form but never looked at our passports, ArriveCan or anything else.  Nobody even checked our ID at all until be got to US Customs in the Vancouver airport.  That's right we got boarding passes without any ID check.   There was not any interest on anyone's part  in ArriveCan.  There was women on our ship to airport whose phone lost her ArriveCan stuff so she was trying to frantically re-enter it.  She shouldn't have been stressed.  NOBODY CARED.  Probably just a Canadian joke on Americans.

Don't you have to show ArriveCan when boarding a flight in U.S. Bound for Canada? We will be connecting on Alaska Airlines in Seattle for short flight to Vancouver, so I had thought they would require it to board the plane.

2 hours ago, martinprof said:

Since the ship sends the pax manifest to Canada Border Services prior to the ship's arrival, all the Immigration checks are complete prior to the ship's arrival.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:59 AM, cruiseryyc said:

For heaven's sake it's not that hard!!! People are spending more time whining about it then it takes to go online and fill it out.

Ha ha well yes it is very easy but somehow I managed to screw it up.. I got a QR code BUT it only shows one traveler even though I added my husband.  When I log in to the website it shows both of us but it doesn't on the QR code.  I'm so tech - tarded! 😒

On 6/29/2022 at 8:25 AM, cruiseryyc said:

The one QR code should cover both of you, especially if he is showing up on the website.

So one QR code for our extended family group of six ?

Directly from the Government of Canada website, so one submission = one QR code.

Families

As the primary traveller, you may provide travel information for yourself and for:

• your spouse or common law partner
  • your children (or children for whom you have legal guardianship), aged 18 years or younger
  • any other adult for whom you're a legal guardian

You can provide information for up to 8 travellers, including yourself, in a single submission."

On 6/28/2022 at 6:23 AM, edgee said:

Don't you have to show ArriveCan when boarding a flight in U.S. Bound for Canada? We will be connecting on Alaska Airlines in Seattle for short flight to Vancouver, so I had thought they would require it to board the plane.

Yes, that airline needs to know it was completed and the Canadian government is ok with your entry.  That could be at the gate or at online or in-person checkin depending on how your airline does it.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:58 AM, martinprof said:

That should be expected.  In some Canadian ports they will clear the entire ship prior to it docking.  If they have an issue with specific travelers they will advise the cruise line to page them or restrict how they get off the ship with the key cards.

Downloaded and set up ArriveCan app today. Entered enrollment, passport and covid vaccine documentation info for the two of us 9 days ahead of 72 hour point where we can submit travel plans and get confirmation email. Took about 15 minutes including some slight frustration scanning in our passports. Sort of like occasional difficulty when I scan a check into my banking app to deposit by phone. Had I not been able to scan my passport in could have entered info manually, so not a big deal. But I do understand frustration some have trying to enter info on a rushed basis or from locations with weak cell service. 

For those of you complaining about ArriveCAN- have you ever tried to visit the USA as a foreigner? Yes AC can be a tiny bit pesty- but just a tiny bit. And yes- some of the instructions have been confusing. But nothing like the red tape many have to go through to visit here. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

For those of you complaining about ArriveCAN- have you ever tried to visit the USA as a foreigner? Yes AC can be a tiny bit pesty- but just a tiny bit. And yes- some of the instructions have been confusing. But nothing like the red tape many have to go through to visit here. 

Really?  Like what (for a Canadian)?

We were the ones that started the passport requirement. And until very recently required testing. A visa can also be required. And Canadians coming in are the easiest. For many foreigners coming to the US, or even transiting through the US, it is very complicated. 

Edited by 5waldos