We hit something.

jskinsd

I understand that radar cannot pick up these small growlers but why does the ship not have some kind of sonar to see underwater in front of the ship?

If not a iceberg maybe some other garbage or a fallen shipping container that can damage the ship.

This really affects the industry and the confidence in the cruise ships.

After Titanic advanced capability to see in front of the ship even in fog and bad weather i thought was mandatory, but it seems i was on the wrong.

Edited by retrocedat
added some plus

They usually lash a crew member to bow where the crew member screams terrifying shrills and points in the general direction of the ice.  That's where most of your gratuities go towards on Alaskan cruises.

Dense Fog messes up just about everything and strong forward looking Sonar would be bad for wildlife in the area.  Just slap some Bondo on it and send her back out.  As my coach would always say - "Just rub some dirt on it."

• Haha 16

24 minutes ago, retrocedat said:

I understand that radar cannot pick up these small growlers but why does the ship not have some kind of sonar to see underwater in front of the ship?

If not a iceberg maybe some other garbage or a fallen shipping container that can damage the ship.

This really affects the industry and the confidence in the cruise ships.

After Titanic advanced capability to see in front of the ship even in fog and bad weather i thought was mandatory, but it seems i was on the wrong.

No, the ships don't have sonar.  And, anyway, a growler would be lost in the "surface clutter" of waves, even for the most advanced sonar out there.  Just as waves give false echoes to radar, they do the same for sonar, which is essentially the same principal.

What the Titanic brought about was SOLAS, with mandatory lifesaving equipment, and as far as icebergs, better watertight integrity to mitigate a strike.  Titanic did not sink because she struck an iceberg, she sank because she was not designed to survive one.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

You guys are killing it, everybody loves Moby Dick and waves so not much to go on that.

We all hope these new ships are designed to withstand a solid hit below water level, forget about the goddamn 4D cinema, safety is more important.

Hopefully nothing worst is going to happen with the next crash into underwater obstacles.

Maybe limit access to these areas to those beasts that can crush ice and such?!

My wife is not going to be happy when I tell her about this news..

What can we say, good thing we have AI that can identify when we smile in the photos on our phones but we pray to not hit an underwater object riding a 800 million bucks brightly lit mettalic case.

Btw, in that video that is running around, that piece of ice looks alot longer than 4-5 meters a growler is classified. Probably even deeper than 1-2 meters, so this ship is more impressive if so.

12 minutes ago, kewcf said:

Thanks for posting this here and keeping this conversation going.  We are supposed to be cruising on the July 14 sailing … 🙃 Fingers crossed..

Sailing July 5th Fingers really crossed here!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retrocedat said:

Roald Amundsen has armored hull and built like a tank. It can sail through ice field with relatively ease.

34 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Roald Amundsen has armored hull and built like a tank. It can sail through ice field with relatively ease.

Actually, the Amundsen is rated PC6, which is the second lowest polar class rating, and is designed to only operate in areas of medium first year ice, which may include old ice inclusions.  She is no more designed to plow through growlers (multi-year ice, which requires a PC2 rating for year round operation), than a PC1 ice breaker.  An ice breaker does not push ice aside, it rides up on it, and uses the vessel weight to crush the ice.  But, they still worry about the ice as it flows down the sides of the ship, and gathers at the stern.

1 hour ago, retrocedat said:

What can we say, good thing we have AI that can identify when we smile in the photos on our phones but we pray to not hit an underwater object riding a 800 million bucks brightly lit mettalic case.

Why don't you ask someone with unlimited funding, like the US Navy, why their radars and sonars cannot filter out surface clutter any better than commercial ones.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, casofilia said:

@jskinsd

Thank you.   I was really interested to see what they would offer you so I could compare with what we were given following the  "similar" circumstances on the Spirit in March 2020  when we went from Muscat to Cape Town with no port stops.

The letter specifies that passengers will receive a full refund of the cruise fare paid.  If NCL follows that promise precisely, it would seem to indicate that the refund would not include the amounts allocated as taxes, port fees, gratuities, etc., but just the amount of the cruise fare itself.  Once the refunds actually are made, would it be possible for some of those on this cruise to post a report of whether your refund was for the total amount you paid or just for the cruise fare.  As Mike @casofiliahas stated, this sort of refund offer has been made under similar circumstances before, and the actual results have varied.  I'd like to know how it works out for passengers in this instance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Unsurprisingly, Thu 30 June (5 nights) now seems to be off sale (judging by the NCL website - although I can only see the UK version).

But Tue 5 July (9 nights) is still on sale.

When the Escape ran aground in the Dominican Republic earlier this year, NCL was cancelling future cruises each Tuesday for a Saturday departure,,, one week at a time.

We were given 24 hours to decide on two options. One option was a full refund + 50% FCC. The second option was to switch to another cruise same-week and get a 100% FCC. We chose to go on another cruise same week (already took time off of work) and the 100% FCC for another cruise. 

We were very happy with how NCL handled the transfer to another cruise. Totally seamless. Reservation, check-in time, pre-pays all moved with no action on our part. ShoreEx was refunded and other items that could not transfer were refunded. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

When the Escape ran aground in the Dominican Republic earlier this year, NCL was cancelling future cruises less-than-a-week to departure,,, one week at a time. They were cancelling cruises on Tuesday for a Saturday departure. 

We were given 24 hours to decide on two options. One option was a full refund + 50% FCC. The second option was to switch to another cruise same-week and get a 100% FCC. We chose to go on another cruise same week (already took time off of work) and the 100% FCC for another cruise. 

Was the 100% FCC based upon the total amount you paid for the cruise, or just on the amount designated as "cruise fare"?

@The Traveling Man

Then major problem with refunds in a situation like this is that NCL won't/can't tell you where the figure you see on your "My NCL" comes from.

I admit we had a problem in that we had B2B cruises affected and that some idiot in NCL had them on one booking number with one set of figures regarding costs.

I numerous time queried the figures I was quoted and NEVER had a satisfactory answer; even when they changed what I was getting.

Remember that when some ports are missed port fees are usually refunded.   In our case we missed the Suez Passage so that large fee was probably refunded!!   There is no telling just how NCL comes to the FCC figure.

BUT I bet that the 100% FCC is not the exact figure of the Cruise Fare nor is the overall cost of the cruise!!!

7 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Was the 100% FCC based upon the total amount you paid for the cruise, or just on the amount designated as "cruise fare"?

Looking back, it did not include travel protection (which we filed claims on for changes in airfare) or the taxes/port fees (which were a very minuscule part of the cost). Not sure why this is a big deal. 

Yes, we were not given future FCC for all of the adders (Shore Excursions, pre-booked spa, pre-paid grats, Internet packages, additional dining packages, etc.). Those were all refunded or transferred to our replacement cruise. 

2 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@The Traveling Man

Then major problem with refunds in a situation like this is that NCL won't/can't tell you where the figure you see on your "My NCL" comes from.

I admit we had a problem in that we had B2B cruises affected and that some idiot in NCL had them on one booking number with one set of figures regarding costs.

I numerous time queried the figures I was quoted and NEVER had a satisfactory answer; even when they changed what I was getting.

Remember that when some ports are missed port fees are usually refunded.   In our case we missed the Suez Passage so that large fee was probably refunded!!   There is no telling just how NCL comes to the FCC figure.

BUT I bet that the 100% FCC is not the exact figure of the Cruise Fare nor is the overall cost of the cruise!!!

OK, but how did the final FCC figure compare to your cruise docs that you received prior to the cruise?  Those should have shown a breakout for the amount of the fare, taxes, fees, etc.

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Looking back, it did not include travel protection (which we filed claims on for changes in airfare) or the taxes/port fees (which were a very minuscule part of the cost). Not sure why this is a big deal.

Not so much a big deal as a point of curiosity.  Also, on some cruises the stated cruise fare is relatively low, but the taxes and fees add up to almost as much as the fare.

8 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Not so much a big deal as a point of curiosity.  Also, on some cruises the stated cruise fare is relatively low, but the taxes and fees add up to almost as much as the fare.

We just have a single FCC value on our MyNCL account. No breakout. "Future Cruise Credit $xxx Expires on mm/dd/yyyy Sail by mm/dd/yyyy"

@The Traveling Man

OK, but how did the final FCC figure compare to your cruise docs that you received prior to the cruise?  Those should have shown a breakout for the amount of the fare, taxes, fees, etc.

No idea!!!   Our final cost figures were based on a single 48 (?) day cruise; Dubai-Cape Town-Singapore and the first thing was that Singapore was changed to Athens.   Then the first cruise (22 days) was a shambles and the second (29 days) was cancelled.   That meant that there were a number of refunds/PCCs relevant to the specific cruises and the cost of the individual cruises.

Our problems were caused by the inability of anyone in NCL to state a value for the separate cruises based on the combined fare we had paid.   It took 5 months to sort out and included an NCL lawyer based in the UK!!

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We just have a single FCC value on our MyNCL account. No breakout. "Future Cruise Credit $xxx Expires on mm/dd/yyyy Sail by mm/dd/yyyy"

So, my original question still stands.  How did the final amount of FCC you received compare dollar-for-dollar with the amounts shown on your original cruise payment confirmation?  Was the FCC equal to the total amount you had paid, or just the amount originally designated as "cruise fare", or some other amount?

Some advice to everyone.

Keep a copy on your computer/on paper of ALL your Confirmation Emails.   I used to keep only the most recent one and that hindered the sorting out of the problems with Refunds/FCCs on the Spirit cruise.

You get one for every change that occurs; I have 11 for one of our Jade cruises in November.

• Like 2

A 20-30 tonnes if not more, 5+ meters by 2-3 meters deep ice piece is not quite a needle but lets get back to praying or maybe something more fun.

(I’m joking, let them figure it out, the garbage will probably be more and more in the future. The damn icebergs will be replaced by junk.)

Now, how many cruises NCL will cancel until Sun is patched and back with guests? 2-3-5? Any bids? 🙂