We hit something.

jskinsd

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/cruise-ship-that-hit-iceberg-alaska-returns-seattle/XTVC42P65VHV7EU7MVEIPZOZR4/

"Dave Morgan, a passenger on the ship, told KIRO 7 News that a repair person at the shipyard told him the damage was 14 inches by 10 feet and that the plan was to bring in a welder to put a piece of metal over the damage."

• Like 1

For those who doubted my statement in post 170 I can refer back to the actual wording in three letters we received on the Spirit cruise  of March 2020 that had all ports cancelled between Muscat and Cape Town leaving us with 17 sea days and a major shortage of food items.

11th March from Teo Radun the Master part of the offer was a 50% FCC for the inconvenience.

14th March from Teo Radun again upping that to 75% FCC for the ongoing inconvenience.

14th March from Katty Byrd VP Guest Services part of an offer was for 150% FCC of the Fare Paid for those who had an ongoing cruise cancelled.

I still have those documents and the first two also have refunds attached to them which were based on the Cruise Fare..

Not the two parts of your letter

image.png.255e2b6f7a486aee98820daa8bc48086.png

Refund states Cruise Fare while the FCC is for "this turn of events".

Our letters were delivered while on board and the Future Cruise Manager was was extremely busy for the 5 days after the delivery till we docked in Cape Town especially when people were convinced by those who had earlier sought confirmation that it did, in fact, have NO CONDITIONS at all concerning any barriers to the use except the final dates.

I know it works as we booked the same, Dubai-Cape Town, cruise for 2022 as soon as we got home to New Zealand.  We normally cruise Inside but booked a Suite using the 75% "discount" a saving of  NZD 7980 EACH!!

31 minutes ago, cigar connoisseur said:

Thank you for sharing.   It may just be me, but I’m not seeing anything that appears to be a hole in the hull as another member suggested.   In no way do I not believe damage was done,  damage is visible, and only what can be seen in photos above the waterline.  

7 hours ago, LNielsen said:

Thank you for sharing.   It may just be me, but I’m not seeing anything that appears to be a hole in the hull as another member suggested.   In no way do I not believe damage was done,  damage is visible, and only what can be seen in photos above the waterline.  

Yeah, if those photos were the "evidence", then they lost a little paint.  As you say, likely some damage was done, but I question whether it was actually a breach in the hull or merely a dent, and I would discount any third hand report from a "repair person" to a passenger.  Even if merely dented, they could weld a plate over the area just to relieve pressure on it.  If there was a breach anywhere other than the forepeak ballast tank, there would have been flooding in the engineering spaces (those run the full length of the ship from aft of the forepeak tank to the rudders) or a fuel leak from the fuel tanks.  The forepeak tank is designed to accept this kind of damage and not affect the stability of the ship, so it might have been breached, can't say without more visual evidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

OK, at 46 seconds into that DailyMail video.  What on EARTH are they trying to show by circling the spot in the hull where the anchor is located?  I had to pause the video to laugh at that!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hallux said:

OK, at 46 seconds into that DailyMail video.  What on EARTH are they trying to show by circling the spot in the hull where the anchor is located?  I had to pause the video to laugh at that!

Well, it's the Daily Mail, innit?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, casofilia said:

@jskinsd

I have just read your letter again.

image.png.aa064b3145b5ac8406ff8297e09d2e97.png

I do NOT see that there is a value limit on the FCC in the letter.

Find the LONGEST cruise you can find time for and use the 100% FCC  to book the Haven or the most expensive suite.   All you will pay are the taxes etc and the DSC.

Do it as soon as it appears on July 7th

All the best; good luck

Mike

Sorry, no. 

There are FCC (Future Cruise Credit) and FCD (Future Cruise Discount) and they are different.

FCC applies the credit valued to the base fare of the cruise that is affected times the percentage to your account for payment to your future cruise. This happened to cruises that ended early, were cancelled after final payment, or had something happen during voyage. 

FCD gives you the discount percentage that you can apply to the base fare of your future cruise. We received a few of these when NCL cancelled our future cruises long before the final payment due date.

The letter mentions FCC, not FCD.

Edited by bluesea777

29 minutes ago, hallux said:

Didn't actually scroll down enough to see the other photos or video.  The black marks on the hull are from the tire bumpers that tug boats use, or dock fenders, not an iceberg.  I guess the rust at the hawsepipe is evidence of damage.

Would someone who is receiving the 100% FCC,  "... for "this turn of events" on this cruise, please post what appears on the "My Account" page regarding the FCC after the 7th please?

It will be interesting to see if it is quoted as 10% or an actual "dollar" value.

Thanks

Mike

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

Would someone who is receiving the 100% FCC,  "... for "this turn of events" on this cruise, please post what appears on the "My Account" page regarding the FCC after the 7th please?

It will be interesting to see if it is quoted as 10% or an actual "dollar" value.

Thanks

Mike

FCCs are shown on your NCL account as dollar value; the FCDs aren't shown but NCL themselves can see them on your account as percentage.

Hopefully others will come back to this thread on or after 7th July to answer your question.

10 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

FCCs are shown on your NCL account as dollar value; the FCDs aren't shown but NCL themselves can see them on your account as percentage.

Sometime in the past few months (maybe earlier), FCD future cruise discounts have started appearing on your account (MyNCL).  We had nine Asia 2023 cruises cancelled by NCL, each has a coupon like this, for each of us:

10% Off Discount Future Cruise Credit 37XXXXX 10% Off

Expires On 6/6/2023

Sail by12/31/2024

Only one coupon can be used for each future cruise, of course (but your account can have many).  It's 10% (in this case) off the base fare.  No discount on port fees and taxes and other extras.

• Thanks 1

@bluesea777

I have the documents from the Spirit cruise and they clearly talk about FCC but in fact they were actually FCDs; they never appeared in "My Account" at that time.    People who booked through the Cruise Next person on board were actually told that while they were called FCC they were a Discount.

However that term does not appear anywhere that I have found. 

I am assuming from the wording of the letter people on this cruise have received is that what is clearly being called an FCC is probably an FCD.

Edited by casofilia

2 hours ago, Rob_H said:

Sometime in the past few months (maybe earlier), FCD future cruise discounts have started appearing on your account (MyNCL).  We had nine Asia 2023 cruises cancelled by NCL, each has a coupon like this, for each of us:

10% Off Discount Future Cruise Credit 37XXXXX 10% Off

Expires On 6/6/2023

Sail by12/31/2024

Only one coupon can be used for each future cruise, of course (but your account can have many).  It's 10% (in this case) off the base fare.  No discount on port fees and taxes and other extras.

Just be careful if traveling as a couple.  DW and I have received multiple 10% off deals, and they are assigned to each individual and applicable only to that person's cruise fare.  So, when DW and I use 10% it is technically two coupons.  I have called NCL to apply, as I really don't trust their website for stuff like this.

@ChiefMateJRK

I agree whole heartedly with you about the splitting; after the Spirit cruise there were lots of complaints about the refund value/FCC till people were told to check their partner's details.

I have called NCL to apply, as I really don't trust their website for stuff like this.

We have a very good PCC when it comes to bookings etc and he generally lets me know when there is something of benefit for us.   Again I agree; get a good PCC to do it for you.

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Just be careful if traveling as a couple.  DW and I have received multiple 10% off deals, and they are assigned to each individual and applicable only to that person's cruise fare.  So, when DW and I use 10% it is technically two coupons.  I have called NCL to apply, as I really don't trust their website for stuff like this.

I'm new to NCL, but so far my experience has been a bit like a twilight zone episode.  You know the one where they guys is talking to the Devil and wants to be an all powerful world leader in exchange for his soul.  The devil grants the wish and makes the guy Hitler in a 1945 bunker with the Allies closing in.  Every time I see a deal, it seems to come with the fine print that could only be written by a con artist.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

I'm new to NCL, but so far my experience has been a bit like a twilight zone episode.  You know the one where they guys is talking to the Devil and wants to be an all powerful world leader in exchange for his soul.  The devil grants the wish and makes the guy Hitler in a 1945 bunker with the Allies closing in.  Every time I see a deal, it seems to come with the fine print that could only be written by a con artist.

Not really.  You just need to pay attention to the great knowledge that is shared here on the forum and, if you still don't understand, just ask. 😎 I know that some think that NCL is trying to steal their money, but I just think that they put their focus on ships/crew/itineraries and phone service and web support sometimes gets the leftovers.  I have warmed up to their new web interface a bit, but have still found it to be a bit glitchy at times.  My only complaints about phone service currently is the long waits, but I just put the phone on speaker and do other stuff on the computer while waiting.  I believe that they've gone back to 100% reservations agents answering the phone and no longer some spill over to a PCC when things get busy.

My NCL experience has always been good, even with the credits and cancellations and everything that has happened over the last 2 1/2 years.. never felt someone was trying to scam me, or mislead me.. unfortunately, here we are today with our first post COVID lockdown cruise coming up on July 14 on the Norwegian Sun, and there is no information or even idea when we’ll know if we will be impacted.. if it was just the cruise it would be no big deal, but of course there’s a flight, there’s a hotel, and there is “COVID” insurance that is all up in the air as well..  that’s what I am feeling anxious about.. fingers crossed we’ll know soon.  I can’t believe after everything else, this ship hits an iceberg!!  It’s like a cosmic joke..

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 7:14 AM, jskinsd said:

And slowly creeping through Icy Strait in perfect weather was a dream come true.  Lots of wildlife.✌️

What kind of wildlife did you see?  We were on Encore late last year and didn't see any because we didn't know to look   😔    😔    😔 

5 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

Cheng I’m all for your commentary but this is a cruise ship with paying customers on a vacation not a cargo ship with 10 working employees. Not sure how I feel with slapping some metal in place and calling it a day…

Well, when the USCG, as port state control, and the classification society surveyor, acting as insurance underwriter and representative of the flag state say that a repair is satisfactory, and they operate to the latest statutory and industry best practice standards, you believe it.  "Slapping some metal in place", what do you think the hull is?  It's steel plate, welded together, just like the patch plate would be.  And, typically, this produces a "stronger" area, since the original hull plating is behind the patch, and is fully welded back after the patch plate is installed (if there was a breach).  As I've said, there are many ships (including many cruise ships) that have dents and wrinkles in the hull plating under the waterline, that are not severe enough to warrant replacement, and while noted on the ship's certificate of class, it is noted as "not required to be repaired" for the life of the ship, and the ship goes to the scrapyard with those dents and wrinkles.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, casofilia said:

@bluesea777

I have the documents from the Spirit cruise and they clearly talk about FCC but in fact they were actually FCDs; they never appeared in "My Account" at that time.    People who booked through the Cruise Next person on board were actually told that while they were called FCC they were a Discount.

However that term does not appear anywhere that I have found. 

I am assuming from the wording of the letter people on this cruise have received is that what is clearly being called an FCC is probably an FCD.

Most importantly, things change. How NCL handles things now is different than last year which is different than how they handled things pre-pandemic. 

Under similar circumstances in April with the damage to the Escape and cancellation of cruises, when NCL promised FCC in addition to a refund or rebook, it was a FCC. It didn’t show up online in the timeline promised, but it was there if an agent wanted to get to it and showed up online a month later. 

C08594AF-320B-42A5-A6B4-4647DFE97990.thumb.jpeg.e665bde4c7f982e96677eeab4e8691c0.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

My wife & I are still in dispute with NCL regarding compensation for the Sun Iceberg curtailment.

We paid for this cruise with 125% FCC’s received due to a previous Covid related cancelation and the rest (including the Tax and port fees) with cash. We also later paid for an upgrade.

We initially got four fifths of our FCC’s, plus another four fifths as additional FCC’s.

We have received the balance (including the Tax and port fees) in cash plus additional FCC’s for the non Tax and port fees element.

Since raising a complaint they have returned the missing one fifth of our original FCC’s but not the additional one fifth. They have also returned the upgrade money and associated FCC’s.

Our initial FCC’s have the original date (31st Dec 2022). As you can imagine, with life getting in the way, there is no way we can fit in a cruise in such a short period of time.

NCL have yet to actually respond to our complaint.