Covid test Virgin Cruise

joy cruise

19 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I'd like to ask if we wanted to have Virgin do the test how does that Work? We have a 1:30 check-in time on July 27th?

Call VV and verify if they will still be doing testing at the terminal as of your cruise date; they told me they were planning to discontinue the service or begin charging for it as it was so much easier for people to have it done in advance.  currently, you show up at your arrival time.  If you have been tested already, there is a desk to show that and you move on.  If you have not been tested, you are directed to the testing area, get your test, wait 15 minutes for your results to appear on your phone.  When the results come in, you take them to the desk, get a wrist band, and move on.  It will do you no good to show up early as you will spend your time waiting in line until they open your time slot.

• Thanks 1

What type of test is performed?  I heard that it is NOT the very invasive one that sticks a q-tip up your nose and touches your brain.  Can somebody share details?

2 hours ago, metla said:

What type of test is performed?  I heard that it is NOT the very invasive one that sticks a q-tip up your nose and touches your brain.  Can somebody share details?

I had it done at the port for my NYE cruise, and it's possible something has changed since then, but I don't remember it being particularly invasive like that. Just a normal swabbing. 

4 hours ago, metla said:

To my knowledge all the required tests are shallow nasal swabs now. We had to do a nasopharyngeal swab (deep nasal) test to enter Barbados back in 2021. The PCR tests I do at work are all shallow nasal and have been that way the past 2 years.

On the Virgin website, it says the test must take place "in the 48 hours prior to boarding".  I know most cruise lines are not sticking to a strict 48 hours, but more like anytime 2 days prior.  Since I sail on a Friday, does that mean I can do the test anytime Wednesday or do I need to wait until 48 hours prior to my  boarding time?

1 hour ago, rebeccac said:

On the Virgin website, it says the test must take place "in the 48 hours prior to boarding".  I know most cruise lines are not sticking to a strict 48 hours, but more like anytime 2 days prior.  Since I sail on a Friday, does that mean I can do the test anytime Wednesday or do I need to wait until 48 hours prior to my  boarding time?

Again, I haven't tested the system....but I've heard that the embarkations from Barcelona are sticking to their 72 hours while those from Miami are a bit looser and making it more like 2 days.  If you can wait till Wednesday afternoon, I'd do that.  Why chance them insisting on another test if you don't have to?

The only place I've been required to do the "poke your brain" swab was at the hospital prior to surgery for a PCR test....and this was also one where they had to do the swab.  Everywhere else for whatever reason has been the much more superficial swab, regardless of which test they were running.