Luggage trackers?????

lactmom4sons

Has anyone used a luggage tracker?  Was it worth getting?  recommendations of what to look for in a tracker.

I usually take one cruise a year.  with all the difficulties with air travel i thought i may invest in a tracker.  Usually have to swithch planes to get reasonable faries so more likelihood of lost bags.

Appreciated any advice and information.

good travels to all

17 minutes ago, lactmom4sons said:

Has anyone used a luggage tracker?  Was it worth getting?  recommendations of what to look for in a tracker.

I usually take one cruise a year.  with all the difficulties with air travel i thought i may invest in a tracker.  Usually have to swithch planes to get reasonable faries so more likelihood of lost bags.

good travels to all

Pick the right airline and their app tracks your bags. (e.g., United - including it’s Star Alliance partners).

3 hours ago, lactmom4sons said:

good travels to all

We used Delta's app to track our luggage a few months ago.   They thought we had missed a flight so where our luggage might be was anyone's guess.  Their app worked great.   

I've always used the Delta app for my bags when flying.  

i picked up a new iPhone 13 Pro yesterday.  With all the traveling and moving around via bus, trains and non-Delta flights this summer i decided to invest in some Apple Tags.  I will be  finding out how well they work over the next 2+ months of travel.   The one thing that surprised me was all the different kinds of tag holders there were. Picked one that locks with a hex wrench for my most-used bag.  2 that are on big split rings for packs.  1 that is on a carabiner to hide in a purse.  Who knows...

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I've always used the Delta app for my bags when flying.  

i picked up a new iPhone 13 Pro yesterday.  With all the traveling and moving around via bus, trains and non-Delta flights this summer i decided to invest in some Apple Tags.  I will be  finding out how well they work over the next 2+ months of travel.   The one thing that surprised me was all the different kinds of tag holders there were. Picked one that locks with a hex wrench for my most-used bag.  2 that are on big split rings for packs.  1 that is on a carabiner to hide in a purse.  Who knows...

I have AirTags for a couple of things, and I find that they send me sad little messages whenever I and my phone get too far away! It’s somewhere between cute, reassuring, and annoying. I will be trying them for my luggage later this year.

We have gone to carry on only since retiring 12 years ago.  Best travel decision we ever made.

AIr tags would not be of much use to us in any event.  We want our bags.  Does not matter to us  if Air tags tell us that bags are in  London  when we are in Athens or Istanbul about to board a cruise ship or take a ferry to some Aegean island. 

The bottom line is the same.   No bags.  The airline baggage app will probably tell us the same without the air tags.

Edited by iancal

6 minutes ago, iancal said:

We have gone to carry on only since retiring 12 years ago.  Best travel decision we ever made.

AIr tags would not be of much use to us in any event.  We want our bags.  Does not matter to us  if Air tags tell us that bags are in  London  when we are in Athens or Istanbul about to board a cruise ship or take a ferry to some Aegean island. 

The bottom line is the same.   No bags.  The airline baggage app will probably tell us the same without the air tags.

to me, it's not the luggage in the hold that I have issues with.  it's in the other places where things can't be put in an overhead near me (have had a bag accidentally removed from a bus hold), or i have to leave in my rental while i do something, leave at the bell stand, or i am away from my campsite.  Working in the hotel/condo business, I've also seen too many guests who were missing luggage, had someone take their bag by mistake, things like that.  Trying to track and find them "manually" is a big PIA when you have to do it as part of your job.  

7 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Packing light /traveling with a carry-on only is the way to go. 

Where's my suitcase?  Oh, in my hand.  

Sure- if you’re going on a <1 week boat ride. Long itineraries (e.g., 3-5+ weeks), particularly to locations where you’ll add “gear” (snorkeling, hiking...) don’t work well for just a “carry-on.”
Have you flown since the beginning of this spring?

Many airlines have started to more strictly enforce the carry-on “bag box” limits as well as require the last passengers to board to check their carry-on bags. And don’t forget that most international carriers have more restrictive size/weight carry-on limits than do US domestic carriers.

On 6/27/2022 at 5:53 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sure- if you’re going on a <1 week boat ride. Long itineraries (e.g., 3-5+ weeks), particularly to locations where you’ll add “gear” (snorkeling, hiking...) don’t work well for just a “carry-on.”
Have you flown since the beginning of this spring?

Many airlines have started to more strictly enforce the carry-on “bag box” limits as well as require the last passengers to board to check their carry-on bags. And don’t forget that most international carriers have more restrictive size/weight carry-on limits than do US domestic carriers.

Sure they do -- you just pack for one week and do laundry /send laundry out.  

When I was a child, my parents both worked for the airlines, and we flew "space available" all the time.  One of the requirements was that each person was only allowed one of the official airline suitcases -- they were about 1/3 the size today's rolling carry-ons.  It does require planning.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Sure they do -- you just pack for one week and do laundry /send laundry out.  

When I was a child, my parents both worked for the airlines, and we flew "space available" all the time.  One of the requirements was that each person was only allowed one of the official airline suitcases -- they were about 1/3 the size today's rolling carry-ons.  It does require planning.  

Doing laundry on a vacation? We keep it to a minimum with 10 day wardrobe. However, it is the aforementioned “excursion gear” for serious outdoor activities that will always make a “carry-on only” not work.