COVID cases on Viking Orion

Alaskadaughter

No fever but bad cold symptoms. They got their fourth booster shortly before the trip. Glad it isn’t worse but shocked Viking told them the ship doesn’t have antiviral meds on board which is now the standard treatment for symptomatic elderly patients.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alaskadaughter said:

shocked Viking told them the ship doesn’t have antiviral meds on board

I don't know about the supply chain for covid meds but maybe the industry tries to conserve it for those who really need it?  It's relatively easy to transfer meds between pharmacies on land but not so much on a ship.

Edited by The Other Tom

My SIL just came down  with it.   The MD gave her a prescription for the antiviral and told her not to fill it unless her symptoms worsened because the drug can cause kidney problems.  On that basis alone, I can understand why Viking doesn't want to dispense the drug.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, The Other Tom said:

I don't know about the supply chain for covid meds but maybe the industry tries to conserve it for those who really need it?  It's relatively easy to transfer meds between pharmacies on land but not so much on a ship.

I think you are right about a shortage of anti-virals due to the supply chain.  I asked my doctor before we left on our trip if I could get a prescription of anti-virals before we left on our trip just in case and he said no.  He said that they were generally reserving them for serious cases right now.

• Like 1

In the UK advice is that most won't get any benefit from antivirals if vaccinated and boosted, so the risk of side effects is not worth it. 

They're given out only if symptoms are very bad, or the person's condition deteriorates rapidly. And there are several types depending on what and when the symptoms are or worsen

There's been no mention of a shortage, the idea of getting  prescription medication in case you get an illness seems odd, particularly as you wouldn't know which option would be best, or if circumstances or symptoms might result in contraindications

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 3

There is a massive contingency of folk in the UK deemed vulnerable who are on an automatic fast track for antivirals. As soon as a positive result is discovered, antivirals are delivered, irrespective of severity of symptoms. These have to be administered within the first five days but the sooner the better.

Others who deteriorate and are hospitalised will not be given the antivirals but may be treated with corticosteroids, other treatments and oxygen if needed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

My SIL just came down  with it.   The MD gave her a prescription for the antiviral and told her not to fill it unless her symptoms worsened because the drug can cause kidney problems.  On that basis alone, I can understand why Viking doesn't want to dispense the drug.  

Hi Peregrina, sorry to hear about your sister-in-law.

I have been listening each Friday to the

twiv podcast

this week in virology

From doctors epidemiologists in New York City actively treating patients.

You can find this in your favorite podcast player. Last Friday’s update number 120 with Dr. Daniel Griffin

They emphasize that paxlovid should begin to be taken immediately upon testing positive / showing symptoms.

In the June 24 podcast, they talked about the latest data Supporting this, especially in high-risk age groups and people

They said there is something like a five day window when Pax Lovid can be effective after the person shows symptoms

If this were my sister-in-law

I would ask her doctor to show me the data supporting  kidney related aspects.

I would say, “the time clock on effectiveness is five days. Five days to begin paxlovid upon first showing symptoms.

Please respond today if it all possible”

In an earlier episode Dr. Griffin described how doctors are saying no to patients but there Is plenty to go around in inventory. My doctor told me that it would be a good idea to Bring it with me on next vacation in case I can’t get a hold of it while away

Please listen to the episode first hand. They focus on what actions the hard data supports

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

There is one for immediate, and one for later on

Oh, I don't know about the other one then.  I was thinking of this one, quote taken from a local news website, in Ontario: "Paxlovid is an oral medication that must be taken within five days of symptoms developing. Those taking the medication must take three pills, twice a day, for five consecutive days."

22 hours ago, Alaskadaughter said:

My parents tested positive and are quarantined on the Viking Orion in Alaska. Does anyone know if there are isolated cases or a larger issue on the ship? They said there were positive cases on the train portion before they boarded the ship.

If Viking follows its usual practice, your parents will be relocated to an isolation section of the ship. It should be relatively easy to see if other passengers (and crew?) are moved to that section.

2 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Hi Peregrina, sorry to hear about your sister-in-law.

I have been listening each Friday to the

twiv podcast

this week in virology

From doctors epidemiologists in New York City actively treating patients.

You can find this in your favorite podcast player. Last Friday’s update number 120 with Dr. Daniel Griffin

They emphasize that paxlovid should begin to be taken immediately upon testing positive / showing symptoms.

In the June 24 podcast, they talked about the latest data Supporting this, especially in high-risk age groups and people

They said there is something like a five day window when Pax Lovid can be effective after the person shows symptoms

If this were my sister-in-law

I would ask her doctor to show me the data supporting  kidney related aspects.

I would say, “the time clock on effectiveness is five days. Five days to begin paxlovid upon first showing symptoms.

Please respond today if it all possible”

In an earlier episode Dr. Griffin described how doctors are saying no to patients but there Is plenty to go around in inventory. My doctor told me that it would be a good idea to Bring it with me on next vacation in case I can’t get a hold of it while away

Please listen to the episode first hand. They focus on what actions the hard data supports

My SIL who is a critical care RN and has treated many COVID cases said the hospital is routinely giving paxlovid to elderly patients who are positive which is why I was so surprised they don’t have it in the ship.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. My parents are still symptomatic but are improving. They were allowed to stay in their room rather than being moved to an isolation cabin. Unfortunately they will be quarantined in their room until 7/2 even if they test negative in the upcoming days. They will also have to spend an extra three days in Vancouver because Canada has a ten day quarantine mandate before air travel. Viking is covering the extra costs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SempreMare said:

This is what I was told by my primary care physician when I came down with Covid.  Paxlovid should be started within 5 days of showing symptoms.  By the way, I didn't test positive (with a home rapid antigen test) until 2 days after showing symptoms.  The window indeed can be very narrow from the time of testing positive. 

• Thanks 1

The other aspect these doctors talk about a lot is how you should not give steroids in the first week of showing symptoms. That steroids in the first week can actually be damaging.

I Keep notes on the if-THIS, THEN THAt they review each week.  I am positive I will eventually get Covid. I would I would not trust any doctor to have the latest info and have it all straight.

@Alaskadaughter  In the last episode they talked about the rebound effect that many who show symptoms on day one will experience Day 10 . Apparently day 10–11 are the ones to really watch out for. Even if you feel great on day four through seven. 

Where will your parents be on day 10 and 11?

if my mom were still living, I would probably not share that data with her if she were quarantined in a cruise cabin.  It could add too much to the stress level. But I would also make extra phone calls on days nine through 12.

Please keep us posted on how your mom and dad are doing.

- - - - - 

This darn link would not paste in earlier.

In friday’s June 24. clinical update number 120,

They talk about how Covid is worse for someone the second time, and also that this day 10 “rebound effect” is the same for paxlovid takers as those who did not take it. No better no worse. The thing you get from paxlovid apparently is it improves odds of keeping you out of the hospital & from dying.

https://overcast.fm/+CB0dpryKw

5738D801-9358-4647-958C-8670723D1B8E.jpeg

3 hours ago, SempreMare said:

The other aspect these doctors talk about a lot is how you should not give steroids in the first week of showing symptoms. That steroids in the first week can actually be damaging.

I Keep notes on the if-THIS, THEN THAt they review each week.  I am positive I will eventually get Covid. I would I would not trust any doctor to have the latest info and have it all straight.

@Alaskadaughter  In the last episode they talked about the rebound effect that many who show symptoms on day one will experience Day 10 . Apparently day 10–11 are the ones to really watch out for. Even if you feel great on day four through seven. 

Where will your parents be on day 10 and 11?

if my mom were still living, I would probably not share that data with her if she were quarantined in a cruise cabin.  It could add too much to the stress level. But I would also make extra phone calls on days nine through 12.

Please keep us posted on how your mom and dad are doing.

- - - - - 

This darn link would not paste in earlier.

In friday’s June 24. clinical update number 120,

They talk about how Covid is worse for someone the second time, and also that this day 10 “rebound effect” is the same for paxlovid takers as those who did not take it. No better no worse. The thing you get from paxlovid apparently is it improves odds of keeping you out of the hospital & from dying.

https://overcast.fm/+CB0dpryKw

5738D801-9358-4647-958C-8670723D1B8E.jpeg

Thanks for the information. This is their first time with COVID and they will be in Vancouver on days 10-11. I am checking on them several times a day via text and they actually had cell service today for a voice call which was great. They are in good spirits and are improving.

• Like 2

As I see that several people of this thread are active posters, passing along that my parents were told that some cruise companies (maybe all?) have an agreement with the state of Alaska that they will not disembark COVID positive passengers which is why my parents have to stay onboard until the cruise ends in Vancouver. It is probably for the best since they have easy access to food and medical professionals. However, Canada has a mandatory 10 day quarantine instead of the five days in the US.

20 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Over on The Site Not To Be Mentioned the site manager is documenting his Orion Alaska cruise with a dozen or so photos a day. I'll watch to see if any news comes up.

If he follows his usual protocols, he is unlikely to mention it unless he is asked or the situation becomes dire. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

If he follows his usual protocols, he is unlikely to mention it unless he is asked or the situation becomes dire. 

He most definitely will not mention it because he doesn't want to tarnish the Viking image.  Tends to gloss over the negative postings by other people.

• Like 5