Solo Travelers Must Eat Alone In Dining Room

fshepinc

Just returned from a cruise on the Carnival Radiance, where their policy is to not seat solo travelers with anyone else in the dining room. I didn't see any warning of it here, nor did my travel agent know about it -So I'm posting a heads up to other solo travelers: be prepared to be seated alone at a table for two.

I got the same message from everyone, and even spoke to the maitre'd. I was told it was the ship's policy, and there was nothing to be done. I asked about the option on the hub app to request a shared table, and was told that didn't apply. It was actually very embarrassing, as the staff's reply was to say, "If you wanted to socialize with people you shouldn't travel by yourself." 

That was my tenth Carnival cruise. I never had a bit of trouble or a problem until this one. But this was definitely my last trip with CCL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fshepinc said:

It was actually very embarrassing, as the staff's reply was to say, "If you wanted to socialize with people you shouldn't travel by yourself." 

As a fellow solo traveler I can understand where that would be embarrassing and upsetting.

The manner in which solo travelers are supported is one reason I've enjoyed my NCL cruises, though for 2 of 3 it turned out to not really matter anyway but the option was there if I wanted or needed it.

2 hours ago, fshepinc said:

It was actually very embarrassing, as the staff's reply was to say, "If you wanted to socialize with people you shouldn't travel by yourself." 

That's inexcusable!  It's insulting!  Time for an appointment with the Hotel Director and "make a stink" that is heard in Miami.  

2 hours ago, fshepinc said:

That was my tenth Carnival cruise. I never had a bit of trouble or a problem until this one. But this was definitely my last trip with CCL.

I don't blame you for scratching CCL from your list of cruise lines to consider.  

If it were me, I would pursue the issue with a snail mail letter, certified and return receipt requested, to the Senior Vice-President of Onboard Services (or whatever the person's title might be).  Finding the person's name before writing would increase the letter's effectiveness.  

• Like 2

I personally would rather eat alone than with others… but I know that’s not for everyone! I usually have to visit the restaurant at the beginning of my cruises to change to a solo table - the thought of small talk with strangers at every dinner is the exact opposite of why I travel solo! 

Edited by carmenincalgary
Grammar
  • Like 5

In the last year I have done NCL Bliss, RCL Symphony, Celebrity Reflection and RCL Vision and on all of them I had to ask to set alone.  At the first part of the cruises, they wanted to put me with others or at the least each of the solo people in tables for 2 next to each other.  I had to ask to set alone so I could do dinner in 40 minutes and not the 2-hour dinner.