Doing Mexican Riviera Cruise: Looking for some places to eat in port after our excursions

RiceAndKimchi

In early August, I am going on a Mexican Riviera Cruise from LA on the Carnival Panorama.  We are doing some excursions in each port, but looks like we have some time to explore around before we leave port.  So was looking to try out some food while we are there.  We are pretty adventurous and are willing to try new things.  

Puerto Vallarta, in port from 9a-9p.  We have an excursion until 5pm.  So got maybe 4 hours?  We wanted to at least hit up the PV sign which looks to be down south on the Malecon (maybe 10 min taxi ride).  There was a place called Pancho's Takos that looks to be very popular and is about a 10 min walk from the sign, but looks to have a decent line there from other reviews.  But not sure how many people are taking pictures at the sign so not sure how long I will have for food + taxi back to the port.

Mazatlan, in port from 9:30a-6pm.  We have an excursion till around 1:30p.  So roughly 4 hours here.  Also wanted to hit up the Mazatlan sign up north on the malecon.  I believe this is a good place for shrimp?  

Cabo San Lucas, in port from 630a-230p.  We have an excursion until around 12.  Only got a couple hours here, so figure just eat around the main area?  I see chocolate clams and smoked marlin mentioned alot.  

Looking around on Yelp/Google/TripAdvisor has lot of recommendations, but almost an overload of places to try out.  So hoping to get some recommendations or narrow things down from people who been there, maybe try certain things at certain ports, etc.  I usually would walk around to explore and just look for places to eat at when I travel to places, but being on a cruise and a limited time in port (even more limited since our excursions), I don't have the luxury of doing so.  Some cruise videos I have watched tend to stick around around the terminal itself or mostly share tacos for the most part (not that I want to avoid tacos, just looking for a variety of foods rather than just tacos at every port).  Thanks in advance.  

Edited by RiceAndKimchi
Added more detail

We are doing the same itinerary on the same ship in October. I would also be interested in some local fare! Looking forward to seeing who answers 🙂 

I will say Cabo Wabo in Cabo is wonderful food, drinks and atmosphere!

• Like 1

In Puerto Vallarta you need about 20 minutes by cab to get to the PV sign at the Malecon. In general some people will be around for taking photos, but I have never seen a real line there. 

This website gives you some street food restaurants and others.https://vallartainfo.com/street-food/

Apart from that by just walking around you will see plenty of nice places to have a meal. 

Always make your price before entering a taxi. Cabs at the terminal charge in US$ per person, they can only drop you off not pick up in town. Regular cabs charge per ride, not per son, but again check the price before entering.

• Thanks 1

Pancho Tacos opens about 6pm and the line is generally pretty short around that time.  The small place is well known for its tacos al Pastor and is a very inexpensive place to eat.  DW and I have often had enough to fill our tummies plus beer for less than $20 (for two).  They do not take credit cards so you should have some Pesos in your pocket.  To get back to the port you would simply head down Basilio Badillo (the street in front of Pancho Tacos) towards the sea, make a right at the corner (Olas Altas) and walk a couple of blocks until you see the taxi stand.   A taxi from there to the Port would take about 20 minutes in the early evening (there tends to be some traffic in town).  Also be warned that Pancho Tacos is closed on Sundays.

Since Pancho Tacos does not have much seating you would be wise to get into line before they open.  Once all the seating is gone you would need to wait until some folks finish and that can take at least a half hour.  We live close to that location and will admit that they do have amazing al pastor...although we are not sure it is worth waiting in line for more than a few minutes.  Decent tacos are found in many parts of PV (often at street stands).  

Hank

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 5:31 AM, jlwilliams4 said:

We are doing the same itinerary on the same ship in October. I would also be interested in some local fare! Looking forward to seeing who answers 🙂 

I will say Cabo Wabo in Cabo is wonderful food, drinks and atmosphere!

Sorry but I'll disagree...over priced tourist trap. 

• Like 4

On 6/30/2022 at 12:41 AM, Ashland said:

Sorry but I'll disagree...over priced tourist trap. 

That's okay. You are probably right about it being over priced and a tourist trap but we have gone twice and really enjoyed it and it was convenient for us to get to 🙂  Generally we like to go off the beaten path, but sometimes we like to go and see what all the fuss is about. We will go again on this trip 🙂 

• Like 2

I just remembered this place, one of our favorites in Puerto Vallarta. 

Restaurant Barracuda, close to old town. Situated on the beach, more or less behind Hotel Buenaventura.

I can advise you to order the Molcajeta. You can choose it with beef (arachera), shrimps, seafood, or a combination of this. A special mexican dish, served sizling hot with rice and avocado. 

If you google it you will see examples. 

http://www.elbarracuda.com/en/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 5:32 AM, jlwilliams4 said:

That's okay. You are probably right about it being over priced and a tourist trap but we have gone twice and really enjoyed it and it was convenient for us to get to 🙂  Generally we like to go off the beaten path, but sometimes we like to go and see what all the fuss is about. We will go again on this trip 🙂 

We were just in Cabo again in January and was surprised at how long the line was at Cabo Wabo to get in....so it still attracts many tourist's.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do...after all it's your vacation.

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We were just in Cabo again in January and was surprised at how long the line was at Cabo Wabo to get in....so it still attracts many tourist's.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do...after all it's your vacation.

Exactly!  I went to Cabo Wabo on my first trip to Cabo.  And to Giggling Marlin.  These were "must see" places, but for me, once and done --  I've never been back.  I have a couple of friends who visit these bars every time they go to Cabo.  To each his/her own!

One of my "every trip to Cabo" places is the Haagen Daz (sp?) in Puerto Paraiso Mall.  We don't usually go to Haagen Daz at home, but in Cabo, it is a must do for my wife.  And it has to be via pedicab.  If that makes her happy, it makes me happy!  It is her vacation as much as mine, and it doesn't detract from my enjoyment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cabo Wabo is an over priced tourist trap, but I actually like it if there is no line, but that is when we are doing a land based Cabo trip. I don't think I'd choose for my one and only Cabo dinner experience.

Chamuyo, Rodizio Grill and Madeira Bistro are three of our favorite Brazilian/Argentine restaurants in Cabo.

In PV we usually eat in the Zona Romántica, a place like Tintoque or Maria Baja.

In Mazatlan we love Restaurante Campestre Mamá Chana, but it would take an Uber or cab to get up there, but worth the effort for us.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 12:51 AM, RiceAndKimchi said:

For -

Puerto Vallarta, in port from 9a-9p.  We have an excursion until 5pm.  So got maybe 4 hours?  We wanted to at least hit up the PV sign which looks to be down south on the Malecon (maybe 10 min taxi ride).  There was a place called Pancho's Takos that looks to be very popular and is about a 10 min walk from the sign, but looks to have a decent line there from other reviews.  But not sure how many people are taking pictures at the sign so not sure how long I will have for food + taxi back to the port.

Ine & Hlitner would be your subject matter experts for Vallarta.  The day of the week you are in Vallarta does impact you options and our advice.

Your four hours is really three. You should be back at the ship roughly 45 minutes before departure.  You have plenty of time to taxi to the PV sign, walk the Malecon south to Pancho's Takos (or one of the many restaurants in the area you will walk past) and taxi back to the port.  You will have no problem getting a taxi back to the port, they are all around you.

The taxis from the port will likely drop you at the north end of the Malecon unless to specify "the arches" or "city hall".  The PV sign is normally in the general area of those two locations.

The taxi that returns you to the port is supposed to be regulated by zone.  Rates (in pesos) are posted in the lobby of any hotel that you walk by.  The river is a zone boundary and the rate will drop if you are back north on the river in downtown.  

Ine & Hlitner (and to a limited extent, Me) will offer advice from the viewpoint of long time visitors. We operate with pesos, we walk or use the city bus and we know that cruise passengers tend to stick out and somebody will try to take advantage of you.  AND . . .  Ine's Restaurant Barracuda recommendation is a great place for your next visit but it is not going to work in your limited timeframe this trip.

Enjoy . . . 

• 1 month later...

In Cabo - it is easy to find a place right on the Marina Walk so that you are close to the tender pier. My recommendation would be Solomon's Landing. If you can get a seat right along the Marina Walk it is great for people watching. We've always had a good meal there. Captain Tony's also on the Marina Walk also has a great reputation but I've never personally eaten there. If you are craving something non-Mexican then the Tiki Bar further down the Marina Walk is also great. Outstanding Fish & Chips as well as sushi. Pretty good burgers for the beef eater in your group. It is a smaller place though (and always crowded) so it can sometimes challenging to get a table. But a personal favorite of mine on the Marina (as well as Solomon's).

• 2 weeks later...