ArriveCAN - joint account or need two separate accounts?

chamima

We (mu husband and myself) are driving to Canada (Windsor) next week from Detroit in order to fly to Europe.

My husband is on my ArriveCan.

He is coming back before me and then will be once again driving to Windsor a week later (alone)  to pick me up.

We haven't used ArriveCan before this.

My question is how does he fill out the info 72 hours before his trip (if he's on my profile) and does he open a new App for himself?

Should we have done two separate accounts?

Should he download the App on his phone?

Sorry for so many questions - I'm obviously confused.

Edited by chamima

For a couple travelling together, a single ArriveCAN submission for the two of you will suffice, but as you have realized, either one of you travelling alone will need to have your own account.

Your husband has a choice of two options. The first is that he download the app onto his mobile phone and set up his account there. Then he's all set for those times he enters Canada alone.

The second option is for him to simply go to the online webpage version and open his account there. The webpage can be found here: https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/en/welcome 

He can then make his submission from the desktop rather than his phone.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chamima said:

We (mu husband and myself) are driving to Canada (Windsor) next week from Detroit in order to fly to Europe.

My husband is on my ArriveCan.

He is coming back before me and then will be once again driving to Windsor a week later (alone)  to pick me up.

We haven't used ArriveCan before this.

My question is how does he fill out the info 72 hours before his trip (if he's on my profile) and does he open a new App for himself?

Should we have done two separate accounts?

Should he download the App on his phone?

Sorry for so many questions - I'm obviously confused.

You can use a single account. Make a joint submission when travelling together. When travelling solo just select the appropriate person when making the submission, (just check the box beside the appropriate person). 

Each submission has to be done exclusively on either the web page or app. I haven't tried with two separate phones, but I suspect the app can be on separate phones and use the same account. But a submission started on one phone must be completed on that phone.

If I understand the plans:

• Joint submission within 72 hours before crossing for flight to Europe.
  • Presuming separate return flights: Husband only submission within 72 hours of returning flight. Wife only submission within 72 hours or returning flight.
  • If both returning on same flight, joint submission within 72 hours of scheduled departure time.
  • Husband submission within 72 hours before crossing to pickup wife.
Edited by broberts
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, broberts said:

You can use a single account. Make a joint submission when travelling together. When travelling solo just select the appropriate person when making the submission, (just check the box beside the appropriate person).

If I understand the plans:

• Joint submission within 72 hours before crossing for flight to Europe.
  • Presuming separate return flights: Husband only submission within 72 hours of returning flight. Wife only submission within 72 hours or returning flight.
  • If both returning on same flight, joint submission within 72 hours of scheduled departure time.
  • Husband submission within 72 hours before crossing to pickup wife.

Thanks!!!

As bad as I am (as evidenced here) I am still better with technology than he is and will be more comfortable making the submission for him.

If I understand correctly ArriveCAN will email the receipt . I can then forward that email to him to use upon entry.

1 minute ago, chamima said:

Thanks!!!

As bad as I am (as evidenced here) I am still better with technology than he is and will be more comfortable making the submission for him.

If I understand correctly ArriveCAN will email the receipt . I can then forward that email to him to use upon entry.

Yes.

• Thanks 1

I did DW's submission for her when we returned from Portugal.  Took all of five minutes.

Do not know what it is linked to but we were not asked to show the ArriveCan QR code when we entered the country or by the air carrier. 

Possibly because we used the Nexus line?  Not really sure.  Random?

2 minutes ago, iancal said:

I did DW's submission for her when we returned from Portugal.  Took all of five minutes.

Do not know what it is linked to but we were not asked to show the ArriveCan QR code when we entered the country or by the air carrier. 

We have Global Entry but I was under the impression that wasn't valid in Canada.

8 minutes ago, iancal said:

It is linked to your passport, so as soon as you enter at either a nexus kiosk or egate or regular line they know that you have completed it.

Just now, chamima said:

We have Global Entry but I was under the impression that wasn't valid in Canada.

We use Nexus in  Canada.  Have done so for quite some time.   Used it four or five times in the last six weeks.

23 hours ago, chamima said:

Global Entry cards can be used for priority security screening at Canadian airports, but not to enter the country.

NEXUS is the joint US-Canada program that allows people to use Global Entry lanes/kiosks to enter the US, NEXUS lanes/kiosks to enter Canada, plus TSA Precheck and priority security screening. Plus the fee is half of the Global Entry fee. The downside is the interview availability is a complete mess after years of them being shut down. 

• Like 1