Embarkation time 11:40am??????

Mountainduo

This morning I got the usual "Important Notification" email saying simply that my assigned time for my upcoming (July 17 departing Amsterdam) cruise had been assigned or changed.  (The assigned time previously had been 1:40pm, Group C).

Now, my boarding pass reads that the assigned check in time is 11:40am!  I have literally taken dozens of HAL cruises over 15 years, and I have never known embarkation to be before noon.

Something new???

45 minutes ago, Mountainduo said:

This morning I got the usual "Important Notification" email saying simply that my assigned time for my upcoming (July 17 departing Amsterdam) cruise had been assigned or changed.  (The assigned time previously had been 1:40pm, Group C).

Now, my boarding pass reads that the assigned check in time is 11:40am!  I have literally taken dozens of HAL cruises over 15 years, and I have never known embarkation to be before noon.

Something new???

11:30 am is about the time things get going, so I would be there.

30 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It will change before you go.  I have never seen 10 am but if they can be ready that quickly, why not?  

It was 12:20 PM, changed to 10:00 AM this past week. No worry we are staying at Canada Place.

9 hours ago, RSWBADGER said:

Yes, we have a 10:00 am boarding time on our July 10th Noordam sailing out of Vancouver, it was 12:20 pm.

We got the exact same notification yesterday for our 17 July Nieuw Amsterdam out of Vancouver.  I am assuming it is a typo and is supposed to be noon.  It seems like all of the boarding times are staggered by 20 minutes, so moving from Group B at 12:20 to Group A would make noon make sense.  I also checked that our ship arrives in Vancouver that morning at 7 am.  Is it realistic that they will get all of the passengers and luggage off and get the ship cleaned in less than 3 hours?

But if it sticks, 10:00 would be great (we are flying in the day before)!

8 minutes ago, ewildcat7 said:

We got the exact same notification yesterday for our 17 July Nieuw Amsterdam out of Vancouver.  I am assuming it is a typo and is supposed to be noon.  It seems like all of the boarding times are staggered by 20 minutes, so moving from Group B at 12:20 to Group A would make noon make sense.  I also checked that our ship arrives in Vancouver that morning at 7 am.  Is it realistic that they will get all of the passengers and luggage off and get the ship cleaned in less than 3 hours?

But if it sticks, 10:00 would be great (we are flying in the day before)!

We've never had such an early check-in,  but if that the case we will welcome a 10:00 AM check-in. 

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

What is wrong with your earlier boarding time? Usually, people here complain because they want earlier than what they were assigned.

Right?! My memories of boarding discussions are that it was always “how early can we board?” With people arriving at the port at 10am even though that usually meant waiting in a holding area. 

I’ve done the super early thing many times, and I’m kind of over dealing with my backpack half the day. We were assigned noon for our upcoming (in Seattle). That seems pretty rational. If I remember right, HAL usually has rooms open by 1. I’d think maybe noon might give us time to grab MDR lunch, but our stomachs will still be on east coast time. In fact, my biggest issue with noon is it’s a really long time for our east coast bodies to be hanging in an airport hotel.

edit to add a question - do people follow their check in times? It seems I recall getting times before, but it was clearly a suggestion only. Not enforced and people just showed up when they showed up. 

Edited by rubytue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rubytue said:

Right?! My memories of boarding discussions are that it was always “how early can we board?” With people arriving at the port at 10am even though that usually meant waiting in a holding area. 

I’ve done the super early thing many times, and I’m kind of over dealing with my backpack half the day. We were assigned noon for our upcoming (in Seattle). That seems pretty rational. If I remember right, HAL usually has rooms open by 1. I’d think maybe noon might give us time to grab MDR lunch, but our stomachs will still be on east coast time. In fact, my biggest issue with noon is it’s a really long time for our east coast bodies to be hanging in an airport hotel 😂

Your cabin will be ready when you board, so we drop our stuff off there.  Boarding often starts at 11:30 am.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveOKC said:

Your cabin will be ready when you board, so we drop our stuff off there.  Boarding often starts at 11:30 am.

Thanks. My most recent trips have been on NCL, which does not have rooms available until mid afternoon. I can’t keep it straight 😂

20 hours ago, Mary229 said:

It will change before you go.  I have never seen 10 am but if they can be ready that quickly, why not?  

Are there not a few people still getting off near 10:00?  That has been my recent experience in Vancouver with  HAL and Cunard.

A few years ago we checked in for the Noordam in Vancouver shortly after 10:00 (at the recommendation of a port agent I spoke with the day before).  We have no status with HAL, but being in a Neptune suite we boarded at 11:30.

15 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

We do not get our boarding times until final check-in July 7th for our August 21 Oosterdam cruise from Trieste. My wife and sister have already booked spa treatments on embarkation day starting at 1:45pm so we would love a 11:30am boarding time to give us all time for lunch in the MDR before the women go off to the Spa.

8 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Are there not a few people still getting off near 10:00?  That has been my recent experience in Vancouver with  HAL and Cunard.

A few years ago we checked in for the Noordam in Vancouver shortly after 10:00 (at the recommendation of a port agent I spoke with the day before).  We have no status with HAL, but being in a Neptune suite we boarded at 11:30.

I know the last assigned debarkation is 9 ish.   10 am seems cutting it very close and adding stress to the crew. 

We have a 10:00 am boarding time in Genoa on a MSC cruise in October in a Yacht Club stateroom. MSC does use a rolling embarkation for most of their European cruises. I believe that most of the disembarkations are down which allows the ships to be ready for embarkation sooner.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 1