On-Ship Medical Question

unclekinny

I now have to use an intermittent catheter 5 times a day and I am packing an ample supply with me. I will probably be on Princess or Holland America ship. However the Boy Scout in me always has to be prepared for any possibilities. Does anyone know if for whatever reason, I didn't have access to my supply of catheters, does the medical department on the ship carry any onboard?

Thanks.  

Absolutely.  However, they may not be able or want to provide you with/sell enough for your journey.  But surely you will be able to find a pharmacy or medical supply store ashore.  Maybe not in the tourist area.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Make sure you do not lose sight of your catheter supply while traveling.  Take them as a carry-on if you fly (medical supplies fly free) and keep them with you until you get to your stateroom (ie, do not let the porters take your bag of supplies).   If you have more than one suitcase, I would put a supply in each. 

Just in case . . .

And like essiesmom said, depending on your port stops, you should be able to find some at a pharmacy if need be.   

Many thanks!

I planned on splitting up my supply between mine and my wife's suitcases, just in case. I just needed the assurance that if something did go wrong, I would have access to at least enough to secure some in a port  otherwise I am in an ER.

This whole catheter episode is new to me this year after an accident and this would be my first real trip outside of my home base. All very unnerving indeed.

Sincerely! 

Uncle kinny

For any critical medical supplies, don't just put some in your bag and in her bag.

Put them in CARRY-ON BAGS, and do NOT let them out of your sight.  Ever.

We have meds like that, and they are always in carry-ons (and some duplicates in "the other's carry-on bag" as well).  And one of us ALWAYS has a hand on those bags, although we'll take turns of course.

This seems to be similar to your situation:  If we lost them... the trip is over.  We head home or go to an ER.

GC

• Like 2