Crown Princess Alaska

sjde

The definition of "Inside Passage" is much broader than most cruise passengers think.  It is more than that little strait between Vancouver Island and the rest of British Columbia.  It icludes the only routes to Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.  If a cruise itinerary stops at any of those ports, and I would be very surprised to see one that did not, it will cruise through the Inside Passage.  So, when an itinerary is described as "Inside Passage," it is, technically, correct.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

The definition of "Inside Passage" is much broader than most cruise passengers think.  It is more than that little strait between Vancouver Island and the rest of British Columbia.  It icludes the only routes to Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.  If a cruise itinerary stops at any of those ports, and I would be very surprised to see one that did not, it will cruise through the Inside Passage.  So, when an itinerary is described as "Inside Passage," it is, technically, correct.

Princess changed the actual map of the cruise where the arrows point where the ship is going and moved it from the "inside" route to the outside route.

The cruise is described as "inside passage with Glacier Bay" which is what has people upset

I mean, they even have "inside passage" clearly marked on the map and show you they are avoiding it

GMhICOH.png

Edited by Riley_Mon
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, sjde said:

But the most scenic part of the Inside Passage is the first part you described, right? And that’s what we may be skipping. Also, rougher seas then too? 

We sailed the May 7th Crown, we departed Seattle and went west of Vancouver Island, we did feel some motion but we were also near the front of the ship.  If you follow Cruisemapper you can see the routes of the current sailings, it looks like the Crown is going west of Graham Island as well before she makes her way to Juneau.  Our cruise was different as we went to Ketchikan instead of Juneau. It seemed like a lot of open ocean sailing on our cruise and not as much scenery as we were expecting.  On our Alaska redo cruise we are planning on the Northbound one way route from Vancouver to see more of the "inside passage". 

1 hour ago, sjde said:

I have heard not all sailings this season have done the Inside Passage even though it's on the itinerary. Is that correct?

Cruises which depart from Seattle will go around on the west side of Vancouver Island. Cruises which depart from Vancouver, BC will sail between the mainland and the east side of Vancouver Island. Otherwise, both routes are considered the "Inside Passage".

4 hours ago, Riley_Mon said:

Princess changed the actual map of the cruise where the arrows point where the ship is going and moved it from the "inside" route to the outside route.

The cruise is described as "inside passage with Glacier Bay" which is what has people upset

I mean, they even have "inside passage" clearly marked on the map and show you they are avoiding it

GMhICOH.png

I have been thinking about this for a while.

The Inside Passage extends above and below the area where the alpha literal is depicted in the attached map..  The waterways that allow ships to cruise to Icy Strait Point, Juneau and Skagway are, in fact, part of the Inside Passage.  I suppose the map could have little arrows from the alpha literal up to those waterways to show that the Inside Passage includes them, but that would make for a pretty busy depiction,

The map clearly shows that the ship's route takes it west of Vancouver Island and west of the Haida Gwaii Archipelago.  It then has to enter the Inside Passage in order for the ship to reach the ports of Icy Strait Point, Juneau and Skagway.  Yes, again, the map does not say "Inside Passage" in this section, but I do not understand what you are saying Princess changed.

Is there anyting misleading about the map?  From my perspective, I know the extent of the Inside Passage, and I think it is fine.  Maybe Princess should just remove that "Inside Passage" literal from the map.  I think that would actually clarify.

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

I have been thinking about this for a while.

The Inside Passage extends above and below the area where the alpha literal is depicted in the attached map..  The waterways that allow ships to cruise to Icy Strait Point, Juneau and Skagway are, in fact, part of the Inside Passage.  I suppose the map could have little arrows from the alpha literal up to those waterways to show that the Inside Passage includes them, but that would make for a pretty busy depiction,

The map clearly shows that the ship's route takes it west of Vancouver Island and west of the Haida Gwaii Archipelago.  It then has to enter the Inside Passage in order for the ship to reach the ports of Icy Strait Point, Juneau and Skagway.  Yes, again, the map does not say "Inside Passage" in this section, but I do not understand what you are saying Princess changed.

Is there anyting misleading about the map?  From my perspective, I know the extent of the Inside Passage, and I think it is fine.  Maybe Princess should just remove that "Inside Passage" literal from the map.  I think that would actually clarify.

what changed were the arrows of the map showing the route it was going to take. This is what it originally showed with our cruise and what they are showing for next years cruises. Its their definition of what an Inside Passage cruise is.

vNnQrfF.png

Edited by Riley_Mon

7 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

"On our Alaska redo cruise we are planning on the Northbound one way route from Vancouver to see more of the "inside passage". 

FWIW the big newer ships departing Vancouver follow the routing of the Seattle departures.  But, for me the the full day in the inside passage north of Vancouver is a big part of an Alaska cruise!  

3 hours ago, fishin' musician said:

FWIW the big newer ships departing Vancouver follow the routing of the Seattle departures.  But, for me the the full day in the inside passage north of Vancouver is a big part of an Alaska cruise!  

Thanks, yes we are looking at either the Grand or Sapphire specifically so we can cruise as much of the inside passage as possible.  But we are a little concerned with the older Princess ships after our Crown sailing. 

1 hour ago, sjde said:

So if I want to do that part of the Inside  Passage it’s not enough to leave from Vancouver. What is considered a big ship?

If you look at the itinerary maps for the Vancouver sailings Princess specifies which ship takes which route.  

16 hours ago, Riley_Mon said:

what changed were the arrows of the map showing the route it was going to take. This is what it originally showed with our cruise and what they are showing for next years cruises. Its their definition of what an Inside Passage cruise is.

vNnQrfF.png

OK, now I understand.  There were two maps.  I apologize, but thank you for the clarification.

Edited by XBGuy