Covid test while overseas

Wayfairers

We (Americans) will have to take our first Covid test to cruise with HAL from Rotterdam.  I am trying to figure out how that works.  We will be in Italy 14 days before boarding and Rotterdam the day before boarding.  I have reached out to both hotels we are staying in after we become eligible to take the test to see if they have suggestions on how to get the test.  I’m thinking by now some of you must have taken a test while overseas - how did you do it?  

Edited by Wayfairers

I was able to get a test at the Hilton Schiphol.  It was quick and easy and a very clean location.  Perhaps you could stop in there as you exit the airport.    The front desk can point you in the right direction.  This was an unadvertised location, cost $35 

your hotel in Rotterdam may have a similar setup.

21 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I was able to get a test at the Hilton Schiphol.  It was quick and easy and a very clean location.  Perhaps you could stop in there as you exit the airport.    The front desk can point you in the right direction.  This was an unadvertised location, cost $35 

your hotel in Rotterdam may have a similar setup.

Thank you.  That is a good option.  And a good price compared to the $60 HAL charges at the pier.  Only downside is we will have to walk from the airport to the hotel then back to the train station. We are walkers and traveling with a backpack and a carry on rolling bag each so that shouldn’t be too bad.

Just now, Wayfairers said:

Thank you.  That is a good option.  And a good price compared to the $60 HAL charges at the pier.  Only downside is we will have to walk from the airport to the hotel then back to the train station. We are walkers and traveling with a backpack and a carry on rolling bag each so that shouldn’t be too bad.

Call them and be sure.  The Sheraton might even be more convenient and I think they have a service also.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayfairers said:

My TA recommended emed tests.  We can get 2 at $35 each then use wifi to do the test.  Has anyone used these?

We used emed for our cruise in May.  I bought a pack of six for $150+shipping.  I was able to get the $150 reimbursed by our insurance (ymmv).  Worked reasonably well, though I ended up using my laptop instead of my phone for the video call because the audio didn't want to work on my phone.  You need to keep the connection open and the phone camera pointed at the test for the 15 minutes or so to see the results appear.  Biggest nuisance is that the packages are a bit bulky and awkward to drag along, each about the size of a mid-size paperback book (you can't consolidate them because they need to see you break the seal at test time.

I would have a fallback in mind, in case of a failed connection or incomplete test kit.  The availability and pricing of local tests (with official results) seems to vary widely, and may be a little more erratic now that they aren't required for flying to the US.

We used emed.com last week and it worked great. Biggest challenge was keeping the camera on my phone pointed down at the test card for the 15 minutes required. We were told we'd have official test results in our email within 24 hours. We received the emails within minutes. Super convenient!