Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 26

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, June 27 and Sunday, July 3.

Last week of the first half of the year. Are you going to post a photo?

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Happy FOURTH of JULY to all of us here in the Colonies, now called the United States.  Many fireworks upcoming today and Monday.  Sorry to the former King of England about your loss back in the later 1700's.

Below is from Central Ohio's Red, White and Boom fireworks that happened Friday night in advance of most smaller, local community celebrations tonight and Monday evening.  In the background, you can see some of the skyline buildings in Columbus.  Our fireworks are rated as one of the best in the Midwest and we had perfect seats to enjoy the music matched to the exciting sky show.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 244,543 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Snapped with just my iPhone, below are three visual samples from Central Ohio's Red, White and Boom fireworks on Friday night.  Does this help warm up and prepare for the July 4th fun and excitement?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.ea9ca71bea3627eaccb19f00ae652465.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.600aeb21be57cc926c82b3fe93896c45.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3d97a07437e9df5d20b747bc67cb9cbf.jpeg

• Like 6

For Father's Day, I usually just ask for Amazon gift cards to offset the latest tool or camera gizmo purchase. This year my Wonderful Wife decided that the kids would get together and chip in to help with the back yard renovation. On one of our main routes to anywhere, there’s a little nursery with a huge collection of pots and metal sculptures. For literal years, we have said to each other as we passed it, “we should stop sometime.” Well, we finally did and spent the better part of an hour wandering around the eclectic collection of yard decor and plants jammed into the tiny venue. I lingered over the metal dinosaurs, and I assume this is why we ended up adopting Rusty for Father’s Day. The gnomes are not pleased.

Bad Rusty! Bad! Bad!

2001840382_2022-26BadRusty.thumb.jpg.a8495c027dbb9b10d67b2cdd57593152.jpg

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The weekend visit to the wetlands on Saturday...some good sightings, including a first, and a very-long-time-since...

Black-bellied whistling duck family:

original.jpg

This fella was my long-time-since bird - I had spotted one far away about 5 years ago and couldn't get much of a shot...one flew by 3 years ago too high to get any detail...the last time I got a good shot of one was about 12 years ago - it's called a killdeer:

original.jpg

Had to snap a few shots of the killdeer because you never know the next time you'll see one:

original.jpg

A yellow-crowned night heron hanging out in the wetlands:

original.jpg

And nearby, a juvenile yellow-crowned night heron was taking a deep soak to cool off on a very hot day:

original.jpg

A pied-billed grebe was swimming along as the chick with the white and black stripes on his head follows hoping for some food:

original.jpg

The never before bird surprise - I will throw in an asterisk on that because technically I've seen 1/2 of one about 12 years ago - was this lovely fulvous whistling duck couple:

original.jpg

The previous sighting was a half-breed hybrid between a fulvous whistling duck and a black-bellied whistling duck - as close as I had come to a fulvous until now.  One more look at the surprising find - first time I've ever seen or heard of them in these wetlands, and even stranger to find them in the summer:

original.jpg

When it's really hot, and you're panting from the heat, the best thing to do is to sit down and have a rest in the shade.  This great blue heron had the right idea:

original.jpg

• Like 4