Portland Maine to Freeport Question

norskenancy

We are stopping in Portland Maine on a Sunday in October.  Because its a Sunday, the bus does not run and the train has very limited hours.  Is there a less expensive way then paying for an excursion on the cruise line?  We most likely want to stay longer than the RCCL's shore excursion.

5 minutes ago, norskenancy said:

We are stopping in Portland Maine on a Sunday in October.  Because its a Sunday, the bus does not run and the train has very limited hours.  Is there a less expensive way then paying for an excursion on the cruise line?  We most likely want to stay longer than the RCCL's shore excursion.

Ask/research on this forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/9-canadanew-england/

You can rent a car - I have no idea how much that would cost, but it’s a super easy drive

For what it’s worth, I’ve been to Freeport and to Portland many times each. Unless you are some sort of LL Bean groupie, Portland is the much (much!) more interesting place (IMO)

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the train schedule is set up primarily to take people from Freeport to Portland and Boston, and return them at the end of the day, which is the opposite of what is desired here. And the bus only operates Monday through Saturday. (If the stores in Freeport are open on Sundays, those stores should demand Sunday bus service, if only to allow their employees to get to their jobs, and even if the stores themselves have to pay for the bus service!) There is a paratransit service that appears to operate daily, so it might be an option. Tours can be taken from Portland to Freeport, such as the ones offered by Scenic Route Maine Tours (hourly shuttle between Portland cruise terminal and Freeport for $25). http://www.thescenicroutemainetours.com/tours/freeport-shuttle. Otherwise, the only practicable option is a taxi or TNC vehicle. Given these circumstances it might be best to remain in Portland, rather than venturing to Freeport, especially given that buses do operate within Portland on Sundays, though if one has already been to Portland, it might be nice to visit someplace else not visited previously.

On 6/28/2022 at 6:20 PM, wcook said:

You can rent a car - I have no idea how much that would cost, but it’s a super easy drive

The problem with that plan is that you would have to know how to operate an automobile (and being competent in doing so), including making certain to obtain a license to do so prior to embarking on the cruise. Additionally, many companies that offer rental vehicles have strict requirements that not all can meet (e.g., minimum age), so it is not a certainty that one "can" rent a car. I do not know how how to operate an automobile, and I would not want to undertake that effort of learning--or undertaking the potential dangers of doing so--for the sole purpose of a relatively short port call. (I probably would not describe it as "super easy" if one has never driven an automobile before!) While some other people might be able to use car rental as an option, it is probably best to plan use other transportation that anyone can use, be it bus, train, TNC vehicle, or tour.

I live in Maine, and as said above, unless visiting LL Bean's flagship store(s) is on your bucket list, I'd stay in Portland. There are some good restaurants in Freeport, but Portland is considered a foodie mecca. The rest of Freeport is your basic outlet town, but spread out.

There are lots of wonderful independent little local shops within walking distance. There are great restaurants everywhere. One of my favs has always been DiMillo's on the Water. It's a converted car ferry and pretty nice. Every seat has a view of the waterfront. 

There are ferries to take to some of the islands in Casco Bay, a wonderful art museum, and the Victorian Mansion all within walking distance as well.

If there is anything specific you'd like to know about Portland, just ask!