Portland to Freeport on a Sunday

norskenancy

We are stopping in Portland Maine on a Sunday in October.  Because its a Sunday, the bus does not run and the train has very limited hours.  Is there a less expensive way then paying for an excursion on the cruise line?  We most likely want to stay longer than the RCCL's shore excursion.

1 hour ago, norskenancy said:

Is there a less expensive way then paying for an excursion on the cruise line?  We most likely want to stay longer than the RCCL's shore excursion.

You could take an Uber for about $35 each way. My concern wouldn't be getting one in Portland but more finding one close for the return from Freeport. 

Local car service that you hire for the day could also be an option but that would be pricier if it was by the hour. Possibly they would let you book a scheduled round trip. Rental cars are still difficult up that way but could be easier come October. 

Is it possible that you could use the train in one direction? Where the railroad cannot provide timely service, you could try the Regional Transportation Program, which offers door-to-door service between Portland and Freeport for $5.00 each way. The service constitutes general public transportation and caters to persons without transportation seeking to make shopping and other types of trips trips, and I would anticipate that it would carry many people between Portland and Freeport on Sundays when the bus is not operating. The agency explains that "[a]nyone [can ride], as long as the trip takes place within Cumberland County, there is space available, and we already have a vehicle scheduled in your area." The transit agency asks that all intending passengers complete an application in advance--so that the agency can seeking appropriate government funding based on the characteristics of the passengers it carries (e.g., low income)--afterwhich a "rider welcome packet" will be mailed back. You can then schedule the trips each way, no more than two weeks in advance and no less than 48 hours in advance.

I just answered this question in another post. Unless seeing LL Bean's flagship store(s) is on your bucket list, Portland has way more to offer IMHO. 

I've lived in Maine my whole life (so far) and I pretty much only go to Freeport to go to Bean's (as we locals call it)