Traveling with a medical device...problem??

topaz123

7 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

You are good to go. Once the TSA knows about the catheter you will be fine. Carnival won't care one bit.

DO I need to tell TSA in advance about wearing the catheter?

33 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

DO I need to tell TSA in advance about wearing the catheter?

This is from GentleCath website. 

• Carry a note from your healthcare professional or a TSA notification card stating your need for intermittent catheter supplies. This can help to avoid any issues or questions as you’re going through security.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since the catheter has to stay in for two weeks, it sounds like a Foley catheter versus an intermittent catherization yourself. We have traveled in both circumstances so if you need more information about how to handle the intermittent catherization issues that may arise, then please post and I will try to address those questions as best I can.

What you described sounds like what you have is a Foley catheter so you will have a bag attached to the catheter which will need to be periodically emptied.  Only problem I can see with that is that you will likely have more than 3 oz of liquid.  I doubt that it will arise as an issue, but just in case, you may want to take a letter which verifies that you will have a Foley catheter and bag which will contain the urine.

Go to the bathroom before you get into the security line and empty the catheter. Hopefully any delay through security won't cause the catheter bag to have much urine.

As long as you can walk unassisted, the catheter should not set off the security devices like the metal detector.  The only issue you could have is if you get selected for the intensive search. If that happens I suggest you ask for a private screening.  

I am assuming that you would be wearing a leg bag so that the catheter bag is not showing.  This could pose an issue in the more intensive screening and you may have to show that bag.  I suggest the private screening if you are unlucky enough to be randomly selected for the more intensive search.

I suggest that you bring some spare catheter bags with you in case your bag develops a leak.  All of them except for one could be put in your checked luggage. Put at least one in your carry-on in case of a bag leak on your travels. I also suggest that you bring one catheter kit with the size Foley catheter that you use and carry this in your checked luggage.  In the event something happens to the catheter and it needs to be replaced, you will have a replacement handy. There is a likelihood that the ship or other clinics you may go to would not have exactly what you are using.

If you need to carry the larger bag which is not a leg bag, there are bag covers which you might want to purchase.

Also I suggest you talk to your doctor about a prophylactic antibiotic.  Since you will be traveling and using public and hotel/ship bathrooms, you could pick up an infection. The antibiotic may keep that from happening.