HARMONY SAILING JUNE 19 - JUNE 26, COVID GOT SOME OF US

16 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

what am I missing? What's funny? they arrived home 30 minutes after getting off the cruise. There is no contradiction in his words: they got mild symptoms on debarkation day after getting home... With a 30 minute difference between these two events, who's to say whether something was a mild symptom or nothing of import.

That's what I'm thinkin', I&S. I might have to question Another_Critic's comprehension deficiencies. There is a lot of that going around as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

When we came down with symptoms after our AK cruise, we opted not to get paxlovid.  With my 'luck' I would get the 'rebound Covid' that is a problem for some.  Even though Covid kicked my butt, I didn't want two things to.

I totally understand your reasoning. Smart decision.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

what am I missing? What's funny? they arrived home 30 minutes after getting off the cruise. There is no contradiction in his words: they got mild symptoms on debarkation day after getting home... With a 30 minute difference between these two events, who's to say whether something was a mild symptom or nothing of import.

The poster is confusing embarkation and debarkation, not realizing that debarkation day is the day that you leave the ship.  

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

My mom's hasn't come back after two years (original covid).

Her sense of smell has not come back fully, or not at all?   😞

I hope you and yours completely recover soon.  And Mom's sense of smell too!

Edited by mpk
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

Not cruise related but interesting. My daughter started feeling ill last week...COVID like symptoms. She home tested 2 days in a row and was negative. Day 4 she lost both taste and smell...all thought for sure COVID since she had it about a year ago and lost her sense of smell and taste for like a month.  She went to CVS and got both flu test and PCR COVID tested. Again tested negative for COVID but positive for the flu. So seems like flu and COVID symptoms not that different.

I guess the flu is different for everyone too.  I don't ever recall losing the sense of smell from the flu, nor have I heard anyone ever mention that flu symptom...?

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

true.

By the way, if you don't have bad comorbidities, Paxlovid may be a bit much, like Orville said. For some side effects aren't worth it. Our doc refused to prescribe it to us, but we are relatively young (just under 50) with 0-1 comorbidities. 

my doctor didn’t prescribe it as well and I am 69.  I did a virtual visit with him and because my symptoms were no worse than a head cold he said I didn’t need…..and he was right I didn’t.

Three days and I was over it…..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Symptoms did not present until after we arrived home following the cruise. I am pretty sure that the ship's medical center was not anxious to see us return. A good lad, indeed.

We are certainly not surprised that some in our cruising party have contracted Covid. In fact, from now on, Covid will take its place right alongside the common cold, seasonal flu etc. as another nuisance to be aware of at all times. Where there are people there are sickening opportunities and no matter how cautious we are, susceptibility is always close by. We have four more cruises upcoming, and we are certainly not complacent about the possibility of future bouts with Covid. You do your thing and hope for the best. 

Post #6 makes perfect sense and emphasizes the fact that "I have Covid and I don't know it." In fact, without a test I may never know it. Thank you, FamilyCruiserUK,  for your good words and I hope you and your daughters have no residual effects from your Covid encounter.

All good here. Just slightly annoying as we stayed clear over xmas and then she caught it day three after going back to school....but thankfully was just a mild cold. In fact dau was aching and tired for 1 day then perfectly fine. As for myself had a day of feeling aching and sore throat and that was it. Just paracetamol and sleep and was fine.

28 minutes ago, TechDiva said:

The poster is confusing embarkation and debarkation, not realizing that debarkation day is the day that you leave the ship.  

not sure why you think that. OP clearly said that symptoms appeared on debarkation day so they tested when they got home 30 minutes later.

31 minutes ago, mpk said:

I guess the flu is different for everyone too.  I don't ever recall losing the sense of smell from the flu, nor have I heard anyone ever mention that flu symptom...?

I don't think I've ever had the flu, or if I did, I assumed it wa just an especially bad cold.  But I have lost my sense of taste and smell with a cold, but that situation is far different than with COVID.  When I have lost those senses with a cold, it's because of the sinus drainage and congestion.  With COVID, my sense of taste and smell just suddenly "turned off" and it was after I had recovered from the sinus/cold symptoms.  I could only taste one thing - salt.  Anything I ate that had any small amount of salt tasted like a box of Morton's had been dumped in my mouth.  And my sense of smell was absolutely gone. 

My normal sense of taste came back within a week or so, but my sense of smell came back slowly and not fully.  Many things I cannot smell, others I smell "very strongly" - like having a super-power.  Smells made up of multiple chemicals are strange because I can smell "part" of them but not other components, so the whole smell is just wrong.  Sewage, for example, is only a sulfur smell, as are eggs,.  If blindfolded, I could not tell a pile of poo from a plate of scrambled eggs.  Luckily, I don't eat with a blindfold over my eyes. 

I didn't die from COVID, nor was I hospitalized, and even back in 2020 with the "original recipe" virus, my respiratory symptoms were just a cold.  I feel lucky that I got out with nothing but a warped sense of smell.  Because of that, and the vaccine and boosters and my otherwise excellent immune system, I feel I am safe to go out in the world and live life as normal despite the current COVID variants.  

2 hours ago, coaster said:

Local weatherman here was on that cruise. He mentioned he got sick and some of his family got sick. He also mentioned norovirus as being the cause.

Felt so bad it happened to him. He kept posting Tampa area weather updates while he was on vacation from the ship. The guy never sleeps as he posts updates all times of the day for his many fans here. He does a lot of good things for the community and just a great people person.

Sorry to hear OP and their companions got sick also and glad you were able to get Paxlovid to help your recovery.

Edited by coaster

My Grandfather and Mother both took Paxlovid and both recovered within 2-3 days after starting the drug. My Mother said the first day after starting the drug she already felt better. Mother & Grandfather are both tripled vax'd.

My Uncle and Cousin both went with Monoclonal Antibody treatment and they also had relief within a few days after that treatment. They are both unvax'd.

Thankfully there are 2 very effective treatments available to fight this nasty virus.

53 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

not sure why you think that. OP clearly said that symptoms appeared on debarkation day so they tested when they got home 30 minutes later.

I meant the person that said that the original poster was being inconsistent and making jokes about it.

Edited by TechDiva
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mpk said:

Actually, loss of smell and taste is a symptom of other viruses besides Covid.  It just doesn't usually last long.  If you've ever had a really bad cold your sense of taste and small are definitely dulled.  

5 minutes ago, coaster said:

Felt so bad it happened to him. He kept posting Tampa area weather updates while he was on vacation on the ship. The guy never sleeps as he posts updates all times of the day for his many fans here. He does a lot of good things for the community and just a great people person.

Sorry to hear OP and their companions got sick also and glad you were able to get Paxlovid to help your recovery.

Thank you, coaster. Kudos to your faithful weatherman. As a TV personality loyalty to your viewing fans is what keeps you relevant and popular. Needless to say, he must be a very popular guy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

My Grandfather and Mother both took Paxlovid and both recovered within 2-3 days after starting the drug. My Mother said the first day after starting the drug she already felt better. Mother & Grandfather are both tripled vax'd.

My Uncle and Cousin both went with Monoclonal Antibody treatment and they also had relief within a few days after that treatment. They are both unvax'd.

Thankfully there are 2 very effective treatments available to fight this nasty virus.

They were given those because they were unvaxxed.  Normally, they're not given to someone unless they have really severe symptoms or are at high risk.  

Edited by BND

Obesity and Diabetes are two of the more serious comorbidities for covid. Just because you feel your infection is "just a common cold" doesn't mean that it won't turn into something more sinister and by then it's too late for the available treatments since both must be started fairly soon after infection. (5 days for Paxlovid and 10 days for monoclonal antibodies) So please if you or someone you know has comorbidities, inform them of their options so that they can decide for themselves which path to take.

16 minutes ago, BND said:

They were given those because they were unvaxxed.  Normally, they're not given to someone unless they have really severe symptoms or are at high risk.  

Thanks  I was just coming to ask if they give that to everyone   I didn't think so

19 minutes ago, BND said:

Paxlovid was prescribed for us because we are both over 65, and have several comorbidities. We were both double vaxxed and boosted, and our md felt we were at elevated risk. 

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Paxlovid was prescribed for us because we are both over 65, and have several comorbidities. We were both double vaxxed and boosted, and our md felt we were at elevated risk. 

That's why I said high risk.

• Thanks 1

Hope you're feeling better soon! We were on the Harmony sailing from June 12-19th. My husband ended up testing positive on the 21st. With that many people in close quarters, I knew it was inevitable. In the FB group for our sailing, ~200 of the 600 members reported having them or someone in their party test positive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barbeyg said:

When we came down with symptoms after our AK cruise, we opted not to get paxlovid.  With my 'luck' I would get the 'rebound Covid' that is a problem for some.  Even though Covid kicked my butt, I didn't want two things to.

I’ve read about the rebound issues

with paxlovid. If vaccinated and boosted, seems doctors would be really hard pressed to want to take this course of action unless they were really suffering.  I’m curious why they give it to folks with mild symptoms.  No idea how many get the rebound issue, perhaps it is just talked about loudly, but is rare?  Either way, I hope the OP has none of these rebound issues.  

• Like 1

I got Covid two weeks ago.  Dr gave me Paxlovid.  The only side affect I had was a metal taste in my mouth.  I sure made me feel better.  I got Covid in October 2020.  Very mild symptoms.  This time was totally different.  I ached all over.  I was in a hot bath one morning at 1 AM.  By the second day of taking the medicine, I started feeling better.  

Thank you all very much for your comments, suggestions and insights. I started this thread because Covid happened to me and members of my family. We are not unique, and we realize the importance of personal experiences with shared ideas, opinions, recommendations and even disagreements. I do not consider this thread to be the wherewithal for all things Covid. I do consider it relevant to what everyone has been and will continue to be challenged with for years to come. Please continue to share your viewpoints, remarks and experiences. Because you have not experienced Covid in any form or variation does not mean that your participation on this thread will not be relevant. As I said in a previous post, for now I want to keep up with where this virus is going and what it is doing. I think it is that important and crucial to what our lives might be like in three to five years. Hopefully, not deja vu all over again.

• Like 1