Why Cunard

swjumbo

We love Cruse Critic and love cruising. We are on a 4 night trip on QV from Southampton in November, Princess Grill.

There’s lots of negativity on this thread and we’re huge Celebrity fans.

We can’t get a drinks package as the voyage is too short.

We love dressing for dinner, Evening Chic is on Celebrity but it lacks the glamour.

What can we look forward to and be excited about on our Cunard cruise?

Afternoon tea as a starter. We are also long time Celebrity cruisers and we’re disappointed that afternoon tea had disappeared on our recent cruise. Full room service menu at no extra charge. 
Real, proper formal nights, not chic nights where “designer” jeans are allowed. Our 4th Cunard cruise coming up and can’t see us going back to Celebrity, Elite plus or not. 

• Like 2

As Passengers that started sailing on the Queen Elizabeth 2 long ago, we enjoy continuing sailing and experiencing the Cunarder Era of Sailing the Seas.

25+ voyages on Cunard Vessels and never losing the feeling and always looking forward to the next trip.

Our special feelings stir with the way the ship is transformed After Six with the formality  especially on Gala Nights.

The vessel design is like no other. Unfortunately we are not for these now a days Mega Ships. She is one of a kind.

So much activities too long to mention to enjoy and experience. Just a look at a Daily Programme of activities is fun and educational. 

BTW... Did I mention the way she is recognized and admired when we sails by the shore line and arrive in a Port of Call.

Lots of fun reviewing her catalog and past voyage paperwork we always bring home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

As Passengers that started sailing on the Queen Elizabeth 2 long ago, we enjoy continuing sailing and experiencing the Cunarder Era of Sailing the Seas.

25+ voyages on Cunard Vessels and never losing the feeling and always looking forward to the next trip.

Our special feelings stir with the way the ship is transformed After Six with the formality  especially on Gala Nights.

The vessel design is like no other. Unfortunately we are not for these now a days Mega Ships. She is one of a kind.

So much activities too long to mention to enjoy and experience. Just a look at a Daily Programme of activities is fun and educational. 

BTW... Did I mention the way she is recognized and admired when we sails by the shore line and arrive in a Port of Call.

Lots of fun reviewing her catalog and past voyage paperwork we always bring home.

But OP is on QV, which is like many others.

But for me the special thing of all Cunard ships is the calm and serenity.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But OP is on QV, which is like many others.

But for me the special thing of all Cunard ships is the calm and serenity.

and the wonderful way the staff look after you. There may be 'better' lines out there but once you've found your niche, the draw to book again and again, is irresistible.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swjumbo said:

We love Cruse Critic and love cruising. We are on a 4 night trip on QV from Southampton in November, Princess Grill.

We love dressing for dinner, Evening Chic is on Celebrity but it lacks the glamour.

If you are huge Celebrity fans, you will like Cunard.

Going from Fiat to Honda is always an upgrade. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Well I guess if Honda is good enough for the first [and second] placed team so far in this season's F1 constructors championship, Honda's a good enough analogy  for me!

Go Honda! 😀

43 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Well I guess if Honda is good enough for the first [and second] placed team so far in this season's F1 constructors championship, Honda's a good enough analogy  for me!

Go Honda! 😀

Sure.. till you try a Mercedes.. 🙂

22 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Sure.. till you try a Mercedes.. 🙂

You like Mercedes? You go with Mercedes. After all, Mercedes engines do figure in the constructors championship.

Just not in first place so as I said in #7, your Honda analogy will do for me! 🙂

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

What nobody has pointed out is that Celebrity is very American and Cunard is very British.  Well, maybe you can drop the 'very'.  How about going from a Chrysler convertible to a Wolseley or Humber?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

What nobody has pointed out is that Celebrity is very American and Cunard is very British.  Well, maybe you can drop the 'very'.  How about going from a Chrysler convertible to a Wolseley or Humber?

As a UK citizen, I would not say Cunard was very British or even quite British. For heaven's sake, they talk about tuxedoes and price things in dollars. Mid-Atlantic perhaps.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Cunard definitely provides more unique and special experience than many other lines, definitely more special than Celebrity. But this is still a mass market line, and even if you are in a suite, you are still on a 2,500 passengers ship.

The gap between mediocrity and luxury in the cruise industry is widening, and the gap between mainstream and Five-Star cruise pricing narrows.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Cunard definitely provides more unique and special experience than many other lines, definitely more special than Celebrity. But this is still a mass market line, and even if you are in a suite, you are still on a 2,500 passengers ship.

The gap between mediocrity and luxury in the cruise industry is widening, and the gap between mainstream and Five-Star cruise pricing narrows.

Neither QE or QV regularly have anywhere near 2,500 patients. And they have lots of space to spread them around.

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Neither QE or QV regularly have anywhere near 2,500 patients. And they have lots of space to spread them around.

image.png.04b29c25e36d3cb6cf400c2318f13240.png

Is this incorrect?

In any case, even QE and QV has 4-5 times more passengers than a typical luxury ship. Not to mention passengers to crew ratio and passengers to space ratio.

image.png.949306601527e9afe97064d6b97663c2.png

image.png.9b51126ab165c743ab3a96b384966b68.png

As you can see, there is no comparison, no matter which parameter you are looking at.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

The OP isn't asking for a comparison to Seabourn.

Exactly Hattie. As I read it the OP was asking for comparisons with Celebrity.

Comparing Cunard and Seabourn isn’t helping the OP. 

Edited by sandancer

6 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Exactly Hattie. As I read it the OP was asking for comparisons with Celebrity.

Comparing Cunard and Seabourn isn’t helping the OP. 

Seabourn was just an example and a response to poster that mentioned that Cunard ships "have lots of space to spread them around".

ak

You are one of those who brings up the word luxury. 

We get it.

You have Cunard pegged as an up-market, mass market cruise line and that's absolutely fine.

You are on a Cunard board and I rate Cunard.  Mass market, up market, down market or any old market, I for one couldn't care less which darn market or indeed, category Cunard is in. I enjoy the experience and so do many others. 

I also enjoy your posts by the way, Keep 'em coming! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

ak

You are one of those who brings up the word luxury. 

We get it.

You have Cunard pegged as an up-market, mass market cruise line and that's absolutely fine.

You are on a Cunard board and I rate Cunard.  Mass market, up market, down market or any old market, I for one couldn't care less which darn market or indeed, category Cunard is in. I enjoy the experience and so do many others. 

I also enjoy your posts by the way, Keep 'em coming! 🙂

We enjoyed many aspects of our Cunard cruise and would not hesitate to come back to Cunard - it's just important to keep things in perspective. Those who enjoy the Cunard experience don't really care if it's luxury or not. And those who book the Grills do enjoy a luxury experience and don't really care that they can book a truly luxury cruise on Oceania or Silversea for less money. This is why we all have choices and this is why different lines exist. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We enjoyed many aspects of our Cunard cruise and would not hesitate to come back to Cunard - it's just important to keep things in perspective. Those who enjoy the Cunard experience don't really care if it's luxury or not. And those who book the Grills do enjoy a luxury experience and don't really care that they can book a truly luxury cruise on Oceania or Silversea for less money. This is why we all have choices and this is why different lines exist. 

Your thoughts are clear cut and don't require any perspective. Cunard suits you when needs be and that's great.

Apart from that, can't disagree with you. We book  and haven't the slightest desire to try any other line at the moment.

Maybe one day if Cunard fails to delight we might try Regent or Silversea but until then, we'll stick with what we enjoy. 

• Like 1

OP: strictly my own opinion, based on experience:

1. In one word:  Elegant.

2. In a few more words: Elegance and understatement at competitive mainstream cruise line prices.

3. Nothing like the other UK mainstream cruise line, P&O. It would be like comparing a stay at Claridge's with one at Butlins. It's OK if you like Butlins.

4. Extras like  port area experts (e.g. wildlife) and speakers on a variety of themes.

5. What I dislike like about Cunard is my experience of their land side operations, eptimomized by a chronically bad website and an unimaginative marketing department. Newcomers to Cunard: do not judge the excellent onboard navigation and service based on your experience of Cunard's website; it's paradoxically like night and day. If you want land side answers, their telephone customer service people are generally on the ball, however.

Best,

Canuker

• Like 2

9 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Pretty much every thing. Cunard tries to maintain a level of British civility that started passing away right after WWI. Pretty good at it though many would have the line trash all tradition in favor of the "Luxury" lines but keep the price low. Of course one could have a Carnival line experience as many had last evening heading back to NYC. No level of tradition can result in-- well read about it on the  news.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Pretty much every thing. Cunard tries to maintain a level of British civility that started passing away right after WWI. Pretty good at it though many would have the line trash all tradition in favor of the "Luxury" lines but keep the price low. Of course one could have a Carnival line experience as many had last evening heading back to NYC. No level of tradition can result in-- well read about it on the  news.

Not sure why some people continue comparing Cunard to Carnival.. a completely different league.

There is no contradiction between luxury and tradition. A line can be both (see Silversea example). And Cunard prices are low only in low cabins, in the suites they can be sometimes higher than true luxury lines. Plus I think Cunard is among very few lines that doesn't include drinks, gratuities, internet etc. in the suites prices. 

I have traveled on many different big cruise lines, as I have previously posted in other threads.

My preference is still for large cruise ships that offer many activities, full performance theater shows,  formal nights, dancing, shopping, pools, multiple restaurants and bars, spas, and so forth. Singles and children's activities, and accessibility needs are not on our radar unless we travel with other family members. There are many other cruise lines to meet various needs.

I often choose Celebrity and Princess because they have unique and wonderful itineraries, which is a key reason for me for cruising.  When I book these trips, I book my shore excursions far in advance as well.  Princess is very American and upscale.  My first cruise was on the Chandris lines, and the Greek heritage somewhat continues with the offspring, Celebrity, but the style is still somewhat American modern.

But for the old world European cruise experience itself, Cunard offers elegance, tradition, and unique formalities not offered on other lines.  Yes, that British influence is always present!  At Cunard, the cruise experience dominates over the ports (and I do not think the itineraries are as unique or varied as other lines, although they used to be, a decade or more ago). I fret much less about shore excursions on my Cunard cruises.

I know that many cruisers like the more casual free-for-all experience, but for those who like standards maintained, Cunard is the perfect choice.  Where else can you read a topic about the importance of ballroom dancing except on the Cunard threads?

Also, Cunard is the only cruise line where DH brings his tuxedo, so I make sure to have us take lots of photos.

I am packed and ready to go--we sail QM2 in two days!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1