Royal Caribbean changed our cabin

Hi! We are on the Adventure of the Seas September 15th, sailing from Bayonne. We picked oceanview cabin number 2300 when we booked because of its midship location (I'm prone to seasickness).

I've just noticed that we have been moved to cabin 3548, and received no e-mail about the change. It's closer to the front of the ship. Is this a good cabin/location (appears to be right next to elevators and the theater)? Do we have any options in asking for another change, or should we wait to see if we get moved again? 

Thanks for any insights!

Did you book with a TA or direct?  If it was with a TA, have them track down what happened.

I'm guessing it's possibly that that section of Deck 2 is being set aside for quarantine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BND said:

Did you book with a TA or direct?  If it was with a TA, have them track down what happened.

I'm guessing it's possibly that that section of Deck 2 is being set aside for quarantine.

We booked directly through the Royal Caribbean website

15 minutes ago, BND said:

My guess is they are using that area for quarantine.  We were on Constellation in an OV on Deck 3 and they moved us to a Concierge stateroom on Deck 8.  They wanted to keep that entire area where we were for new crew quarantine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

My guess is they are using that area for quarantine.  We were on Constellation in an OV on Deck 3 and they moved us to a Concierge stateroom on Deck 8.  They wanted to keep that entire area where we were for new crew quarantine.

That is my thinking as well.  I booked a GTY on Voyager on Sept. 4 and they assigned us a Deck 2 cabin, months ago, when Ocean View sold out.   We just got the email that due to covid protocols and to keep people safe, yadda yadda, upgrade.  I guess they are doing them all in order, and just got to the September sailings.

Just now, ceo418 said:

We selected our own cabin

That sucks.  If they’re changing your room, are they refunding or giving you OBC for the difference in price from a GTY cabin?

27 minutes ago, iuki said:

That sucks.  If they’re changing your room, are they refunding or giving you OBC for the difference in price from a GTY cabin?

I don't know. We haven't heard from RCI. I noticed the room change when I looked in the app

33 minutes ago, ceo418 said:

I don't know. We haven't heard from RCI. I noticed the room change when I looked in the app

Call and ask for a supervisor and get it elevated to resolutions.  Someone has to explain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, iuki said:

Did you pay for a GTY cabin or a Selected cabin?  This concerns me, because we always book with a selected stateroom.

Getting moved usually has nothing to do with booking type - once assigned, GTY cabins don't usually change.

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Getting moved usually has nothing to do with booking type - once assigned, GTY cabins don't usually change.

People pay more for a specific room.  GTY cabins are assigned by RCCL.  If RCCL is changing/assigning their room, why should people pay more for a selected room?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iuki said:

If RCCL is changing/assigning their room, why should people pay more for a selected room?

On cruises booked in the US market, once a GTY cabin assignment is made, there's no diff between that and a specific cabin booked, for RCI moving purposes. RCI moving customers, has nothing to do with how it was booked, nor are the chances of being moved (after GTY assignment) likely any diff either.

Customers pay more to select a specific cabin vs the uncertainty of a GTY booking. Despite the report of the move in this thread (and others) you are very unlikely to ever get moved.

Edited by Biker19

1 hour ago, iuki said:

People pay more for a specific room.  GTY cabins are assigned by RCCL.  If RCCL is changing/assigning their room, why should people pay more for a selected room?

Read your contract.  They can move you and do not need to offer you any compensation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

I believe people get a discount when they choose GTY.

Not always, I have seen several times that GTY is more expensive than "pick your own".  I have no clue why except "crappy Royal IT".

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Since the OP paid to select the cabin, , he/she has a good chance of being moved or receiving OBC for being moved to a worse location. 
I would certainly pursue it. 

They said they could only move me to another Ocean View, and there were no other cabins in that category open. I did receive $100 in OBC, though, so something did come out of it. They also just changed the itinerary for the sailing, to go to Sydney, Nova Scotia, instead of Halifax.

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Read your contract.  They can move you and do not need to offer you any compensation. 

canival moved me pre covid to a smaller hc cabin and my pvp kept telling me this. No sympathy just took carnivals side. She said it was in my record and perhaps they thought they were doing me a favor, even though was my sister not me hc. 

Imo if they change you cabin they should email you. I didnt check and actually unpacked in the cabin I booked, one of those large port hole cabins. I got moved to a higher category at the front which has windows you have to cover at night for steering. I was so mad. After that I am not sure I used her again I was so mad at her attitude. I'm owed a email or a phone call and let me know. I hated the new cabin. Tiny hc the beds didnt push together with half the cabin the bathroom. A much smaller cabin is not my idea of a upgrade, dont care about category. I never forgave her for her bad attitude. 

Dont move me without the courtesy of a email. I dont care if they have the right. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That’s really screwy. It’s like a company offering you something and you pay for it. They then say sorry, but you can’t have it with no compensation. I can understand if ports change or something out of Royals control, but to not compensate someone is just wrong if they are downgraded in the customers eyes. I say in the customers eyes because maybe someone is upgrade to a higher category but it’s obstructed. That isn’t necessarily an upgrade to some people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

That’s really screwy. It’s like a company offering you something and you pay for it. They then say sorry, but you can’t have it with no compensation. I can understand if ports change or something out of Royals control, but to not compensate someone is just wrong if they are downgraded in the customers eyes. I say in the customers eyes because maybe someone is upgrade to a higher category but it’s obstructed. That isn’t necessarily an upgrade to some people.

I had a call last week.  They wanted one of my clients rooms for someone doing a B4B.  My client was in a 2D.  They tried to tell me that giving them a 1D was an upgrade.. .nope.  exact same cabin, same location just that the 1D has a sofabed and can sleep more than 2.  We did move to another 2D two cabins away and got $100 obc.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rudeney said:

Not always, I have seen several times that GTY is more expensive than "pick your own".  I have no clue why except "crappy Royal IT".

Agree, I see Pick your own Cheaper at least once a week

5 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

I believe people get a discount when they choose GTY.

True.  Unless I misunderstood, the OP did not choose the GTY price.  She paid the full price to select her own room.  So, my point is, why pay the full price if RCCL chooses another room for you?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, iuki said:

So, my point is, why pay the full price if RCCL chooses another room for you?

Again, you are paying a higher price to pick your own room - the slimmest chance of ever being moved, has nothing to do with what you initially booked. Also, with some negotiation, you can get OBC to compensate you for being moved so you may be paying an overall price similar to GTY.

18 hours ago, rudeney said:

I'll give you one better.... on my Brilliance sailing next year, Suite GTY is less than obstructed balcony.

• Like 2