Baby Monitors - wireless

15 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

My Kids were little 2 different Neighbors Monitors were on same Freq as ours. At times heard some interesting conversations

Imagine the stuff that happens with wifi cameras (not on ships).  I’ve heard some stories in neighborhoods

on those from friends.  That kept me from ever considering a wifi camera.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, topnole said:

What if it is just a monitor and camera?   These aren’t on the banned list.  No where on mine does it say baby monitor.  So I think that answers the question. 

Sure, use that story when you explain to security that you are not bringing a baby monitor.  I am sure they will be interested in seeing who you actually do want to monitor.

54 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Sure, use that story when you explain to security that you are not bringing a baby monitor.  I am sure they will be interested in seeing who you actually do want to monitor.

Why would you have to explain it to security if it isn’t prohibited?   You do realize every phone is both a camera and monitor nowadays.  So are laptops and tablets.   So are go pros.  Etc etc.   

Are we sure they are banning what is thought of as a traditional baby monitor? Makes zero sense given they allow cameras and monitors.  

OT, but many years ago I was cabin counseling some high school kids at a weekend camp. I caught one of our boys trying to plant a baby monitor in the girls cabin. Mind you, back then they were just audio. Apparently, he has got away with it at a previous camp and the boys had a hoot listening to the girls. He got an "A" for creativity, two hours picking up trash, and some girls who wanted to kill him.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

Thanks. We have connecting cabins and would use it only in the other cabin when the kid was napping.

Several years ago we had 2 connecting cabins. Our niece with her 2 year old daughter were next door to ours and when we were out of the one cabin and/or on the balcony they worked very well.

2 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

My Kids were little 2 different Neighbors Monitors were on same Freq as ours. At times heard some interesting conversations

When baby monitors were becoming A Thing, a friend was in her garden with hers, as her newborns were napping.  She heard 'mama! mama!' and about had heart failure - it was the neighbor's toddler.  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/30/2022 at 6:44 PM, topnole said:

I probably wouldn’t admit that.   

Sorry, different strokes for different folks.   I was 30 seconds away.  What is the problem?  In my house at home they are way further away on the other side of the house.  

4 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Sorry, different strokes for different folks.   I was 30 seconds away.  What is the problem?  In my house at home they are way further away on the other side of the house.  

Probably many fewer people who could go in and take your child at home. 

4 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

There isn't any problem.

31 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

Probably many fewer people who could go in and take your child at home. 

Just ignore this kind of stuff.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:10 PM, flamingos said:

When baby monitors were becoming A Thing, a friend was in her garden with hers, as her newborns were napping.  She heard 'mama! mama!' and about had heart failure - it was the neighbor's toddler.  🙂 

Used on on vacation when our oldest was about 8 months old, woke up to her singing, then she sang the alphabet song. We thought she was a genius, turns out it was another child (she’s now 26, very smart, and a fabulous singer/performer).

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

You had dinner in a restaurant while your baby or small child was in the cabin by themselves?  The whole ship is 30 seconds away if I’m running.   Sorry, what exactly is your point?  Are you saying it is fine to leave a baby oin the room alone if you have a monitor?

On 7/2/2022 at 7:33 PM, topnole said:

You had dinner in a restaurant while your baby or small child was in the cabin by themselves?  The whole ship is 30 seconds away if I’m running.   Sorry, what exactly is your point?  Are you saying it is fine to leave a baby oin the room alone if you have a monitor?

I don't see what the problem is.   We were the second cabin on deck 17 and ate at CC every night.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/30/2022 at 8:28 AM, TheMastodon said:

No, will not get confiscated.  

Edit - apparently they can based off the replies - we have brought them on 3x and never had them taken!  

Note - they don't work very well on board.  We brought two different models and both only worked INSIDE the cabin or very close by.   We planned on putting our infant twins to sleep in the loft suite, then eating dinner a short distance away at coastal kitchen.  But, monitor did not reach so we just had to hire the baby sitters on board.  

Also, WIFI monitors WILL NOT work on the ships network.  

I know this is an old post, but do you mind sharing what monitors you used that worked? 

27 minutes ago, FamilyCruiser2024 said:

I know this is an old post, but do you mind sharing what monitors you used that worked? 

DXR-8

Wifi enabled monitors will not work on board FYI.   Sister was in the ultimate family suite - baby in diff room in the suite - WiFi monitor wouldn’t connect.  Ended up downloading an app on an extra iPad that turned it into a monitor.  Worked perfect.  

• Thanks 1

The BabyCam app installed on two devices, one as the camera and one as the receiver, worked perfect connected to ship wifi even without buying the internet package.  Worked anywhere on the ship.  We honestly didn't need to use it, but it worked!!  We also had this local monitor that we used within the room only and worked great, it stopped working when you got about 5 cabins away.  We got a Jr. Suite so the baby crib was in the closet and let us shut the door but still monitor if he fell asleep.  https://a.co/d/cY9D1vz

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2024 at 10:46 AM, aswoff said:

The BabyCam app installed on two devices, one as the camera and one as the receiver, worked perfect connected to ship wifi even without buying the internet package.  Worked anywhere on the ship.  We honestly didn't need to use it, but it worked!!  We also had this local monitor that we used within the room only and worked great, it stopped working when you got about 5 cabins away.  We got a Jr. Suite so the baby crib was in the closet and let us shut the door but still monitor if he fell asleep.  https://a.co/d/cY9D1vz

thanks for the info! just to clarify, you didn't end up using the hello baby monitor because you just used the BabyCam app, right? did you try the hello baby monitor at all and see that it worked? thinking of getting one for travel and just want to make sure it would work. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, FamilyCruiser2024 said:

thanks for the info! just to clarify, you didn't end up using the hello baby monitor because you just used the BabyCam app, right? did you try the hello baby monitor at all and see that it worked? thinking of getting one for travel and just want to make sure it would work. 

We actually used the Hello Baby monitor more because it had night vision and our tablet we used as the camera did not, and we were mostly using it at night while we were in the room.  Also, because we had both and I wanted to test both. The BabyCam app would have worked for everything, even in room if it had night vision or we left a nightlight on in the baby's room/closet lol. 

Edited by aswoff
  • Thanks 1