Comparison of 3 Queens

DaisyUK

I have been trying to find a description as to how the 3 Queens differ from each other; the pros and cons of each, but have been unsuccessful. I know that the QM2 is a true ocean liner, whereas the other 2 ships are not, but what about the decor/ambience onboard/difference in amenities etc? Is the QM2 everyone's favourite, with the other 2 ships being the 'poor sisters'? Be interested to hear opinions..

• Like 1

It's some time since I was on 'Mary', and I was a solo traveller on 'shorties and not in a Grill cabin so can't really say much about her as there's a huge difference between short and longer cruises. I will say though,  the décor both pre and post her refit reminded me of an elderly lady who kept up appearances but with faded elegance.

I can't fault the service I had which was excellent, especially for what were essentially party cruises, but I don't like her general layout and  having had a good look, the Grills area, and would never choose to take a longer cruise with her. 

QE and QV are to outward eyes, pretty similar apart from their décor and there QE has a lighter touch and QV a darker décor. We have had  Q3 and 2 on both so nothing to chose between 'hardware' of the cabins.

The difference for me though  before  Covid, was although I enjoyed my trips on QE, the staff seemed better trained and more in tune with their passengers' needs on QV and somehow, the general QV atmosphere  seemed  much happier for both staff and passengers which made for  great cruises. 

So my choices would be

QV

QE

QM2

I realise I might be praising from a position of QV familiarity with the ship and  staff etc, the latter which might have changed if staff have been redeployed around the line.

We shall see what the post Covid QV experience is but whatever the glitches or changes if any, we will enjoy being back in our home at sea.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Victoria, that's helpful. We have been on a short 4-day cruise on QM2 and are booked on a 14-day on QE. We are considering a much longer cruise on one of the 3 ships and will look predominantly at itineraries, but our comfort and surroundings are also important (at least for me, less so for my husband) and so that was the reason for the question as we may not get to experience all 3 ships before we need to make a decision.

Although I admire QM2 enormously, we are off on a Med. cruise on her soon, and I find myself wishing I were on one of the Vistas. This would not be the case if we were crossing the Atlantic. But otherwise, the Vistas are cosier size, with fewer long walks involved, and with the glaring exception of the PG cabins, the Grills facilities are much nicer. They are still large enough to feel grand and spacious. Of the two I prefer QE slightly, because the decor seems slightly lighter. 

Having saId that, if I were only going to make one Cunard voyage ever, it would have to be on QM2

• Like 3

I like the lighter more Art Deco feel of the QE. Our one cruise on QV was Southampton to Fort Lauderdale and as lovely as the ship is, I didn't enjoy her as much as QE or QM2. I've done 2 TAs on QM2 and loved them both for the dress-up and the experience of sailing across the Atlantic on a "proper" ocean liner. 

For me it's QM2/QE followed by QV. 

I like whichever one I'm on ! We're going to the Mediterranean on QV in September and then a similar itinerary on QM2 next June so that will make a direct comparison easier.

QM2 will always be unique and people either love or hate her quirky layout. My husband definitely prefers her but I find the smaller ships are much easier to navigate.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I like whichever one I'm on ! We're going to the Mediterranean on QV in September and then a similar itinerary on QM2 next June so that will make a direct comparison easier.

QM2 will always be unique and people either love or hate her quirky layout. My husband definitely prefers her but I find the smaller ships are much easier to navigate.

But I love those little galleries where the board games are on QM2, and you can sit and watch the waves breaking beside you. And the bridge viewing area and outside lifts, which are quite special.

• Like 4

Thank you all; it's great to hear any little tips and/or opinions. I am so looking forward to this cruise, with Alfie Boe being the icing on the cake - and actually the reason for booking the first segment. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

Thank you all; it's great to hear any little tips and/or opinions. I am so looking forward to this cruise, with Alfie Boe being the icing on the cake - and actually the reason for booking the first segment. 

I do hope he actually turns up, and doesn't have to cancel for some reason. 😀

5 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

I have been trying to find a description as to how the 3 Queens differ from each other; the pros and cons of each, but have been unsuccessful. I know that the QM2 is a true ocean liner, whereas the other 2 ships are not, but what about the decor/ambience onboard/difference in amenities etc? Is the QM2 everyone's favourite, with the other 2 ships being the 'poor sisters'? Be interested to hear opinions..

The QM2 has the Chart Room and the others don't. The QM2 has Samuels and the white hot chocolate which I cannot wait to have. And that is it for me. Though I do wish Golden Lion would be open for food at night in the same vein as O Sheehans on NCL. They would only need a couple of staff on I think.

Plus the hull design of QM2 is different and unique I think so you get a smoother ride.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

Hi Daisy, we decided in 2017/18 to do all the three Queens for a second time. One Fjord (QM], one longer Med (QE) and lastly a Baltic cruise on the QV in July 18….scorchio it was! 

I think we chose the right ships for those itineraries, firstly sailing up the Fjords on a ship of QM’s impressive height was special. Secondly, the QE was undertaking a unique voyage celebrating the 50th anniversary of the QE2 with past Cunard masters and staff on board. And lastly the QV was making a maiden call at Kiel where the Captain and some officers had afternoon tea alongside the ship with local dignitaries, in nearly 30C temperatures! 

So each ship and cruise had its merits and hard to choose a favourite going forward…it would depend on the itinerary….I think. 🙂

PS We do prefer the Queen’s Room being central as in the Vistas. 

• Like 1

Lots of viewpoints but may I emphasise the fact if you're thinking of QG, and I imagine PG too although I didn't sneak a look into the QM2 PG restaurant, my personal view is the Grills area on the Vistas is brighter and a better layout to that of the  Grills facilities on QM2.

Of course, the cabins may be better so that might swing it for some.

Having cruised on all 3 ships I dont think you can say which is the best it is down to personal choice and everyone is right and nobody wrong. For us personally QM2 is our favourite because we love roundtrip TAs but dont know if this would change in the event we did an actual cruise on her.

With reference to QV/QE cannot honestly say that there is much difference except for decor which doesnt impact on us on a cruise and the staff on both have been excellent and cannot say one is better than the other.

I have travelled aboard all three and they all have their merits.

The QM2 is an essentially an Atlantic liner - her seakeeping qualities are excellent   albeit she can dance about a bit in a heavy swell! We have only ever travelled in PG and the PG cabins are much nicer than the the Vista class, however the dining lacks drama.

I agree with Victoria2 that QV seems to be a friendlier ship - for me she has special something. 

We have travelled on all three ships, and will (hopefully) do so this again year. I love all three and would be very happy to be oboard any of them. However, if I had to choose my favourite, it would be QV first by some way, then QM2 closely followed by QE.

OMG!!!!!!! I wish folks would realize the Stephen Payne designed a liner  for the Atlantic and not a cruise ship. He pointed out to Mr. Arison at the initiation of the design process that to build something like they were then building, Mr Arison might live to regret it-having in mind rogue waves in general and SS Michelangelo in 1965 in particular; forward superstructure horribly damaged and 3 passengers killed.

All these remarks about QM2’s ‘quirky’ design. Other builders submitted proposals for what was The Queen Mary Project. The other builders’ proposals  were in fact designs for a now common ship design for cruising in calm waters-restaurants overlooking the stern, and large public spaces way forward.

A friend and I made the Maiden TransAtlantic on both QV and QE. It was winter and we had wild rides. On QV we crossed with QE2-we got a picture of QV’s forward hull up to the superstructure going underwater - at least one time-we could also see the sky under QE2’s bow section as she pitched-the Atlantic was that violent. On the QE Commodore Warwick was at a large table in the Britannia against the back windows. Stewards and trays with dishes often  crashed  to the floor or tables-and high waves were slamming against the windows. The Commodore and his table mates put on a good face  but I’m sure there were ‘moments’. To top it off on QE, sections of ceiling fell in a corridor outside QG restaurant and over part of the bar in the Commodore Club.

As Mr. Payne has noted-the King’s Court and the Britannia are at the ‘center of pitch’; in my experience QM2 deals with the Atlantic exceptionally well - which is why she was designed the way she is. Nearly all of her main public spaces are either safely down on Decks 2 or 3 or on Deck 7; with a great deal of ship above.

If you don’t like the ship fine - but she does what she was designed for. Cruising is a very large cherry on top.😊

• Like 5

8 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

OMG!!!!!!! I wish folks would realize the Stephen Payne designed a liner  for the Atlantic and not a cruise ship...

If you don’t like the ship fine - but she does what she was designed for. Cruising is a very large cherry on top.😊

Although a very interesting post, why the irritation? I would imagine most contributors to this board are aware of the differences between the two cruise ships and the liner.

DaisyUK asked for comparisons and not a marine architect perspective on the builds and  that is what she is getting. The QM2's interior is, as you put it, quirky in comparison to her sisters and I for one prefer my travels to be with QE or QV and not QM2. A subjective opinion and one many will disagree with. All viewpoints add to the final picture for DaisyUK.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2022 at 5:57 PM, DaisyUK said:

I have zero interest in the QM2 because her itineraries are of no interest to me 

On 7/1/2022 at 12:37 PM, lissie said:

I have zero interest in the QM2 because her itineraries are of no interest to me 

And as have said elsewhere on this site, I am booked on a transatlantic round trip and would rather not get off at all at New York, but the rules say I have to.

Horses for courses.  In most cases I pick the trip with the ports of call the deciding factor, not the line I am travelling with.  But there can be exceptions and the occasional TA is well worth it.  

The quirks and unusual layout of the QM2 is no problem to me.  I reckon I managed to work it out in 7 days on my first TA!

QM2 for crossings, definitely (I'm a fan of the sheltered balcony for a crossing). And a Vista for cruising, although the itinerary is a factor there, especially since QM2 offers the most options for sailing out of NYC. 

I haven't been on QV, but there's something about QE that speaks to me. I stepped on that ship for the first time 3 years ago and I thought "I'm home." And that was before I found the shrine to QE2 up in Commodore Club! I like HAL's Vistas, too. It's a good size and easier to find your way around than on QM2. 

I've been in Britannia and PG on both ships. I agree with others who say the Grills are much nicer on the Vistas. They're brighter and, because you enter in the middle of the room rather than the end, they don't feel like a long hallway. The PG cabins on QM2 are a nicer layout, more square than rectangular, and they have larger balconies because of the shape. Even if I'm in the grills, I like to have lunch at the buffet because I can put together a quick and "healthy" salad lunch and not have a multi-course meal. Here is where QE beats QM2 by several nautical miles. I despise the buffet on QM2. I don't think the refit did anything to improve it. Friends I have cruised with tease me because I have often threatened to throw my plate up in the air and scream " I bleeping hate this bleeping place." 

OTOH, Carinthia on QM2 is a gem. That's my embarkation day spot for a light lunch, before people discover how quiet it is. 

Bottom line, they're all Cunard, so I would sail on any of them.

• Like 2

May I butt in and say I have suspicion DaisyUK might be looking at a Grills cabin, which if QG [no experience of PG so can't comment there] on QE or QV, a salad to your own ingredients is just as good a bits and bobs healthy meal as the Lido pick'n mix salad bar. I frequently ask for a sushi lunch and alternate it with 'my' salad. Lunch in the restaurant does not have to be a two or three course meal.

35 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Of course it doesn't have to, but some days it is hard to resist. 😀

I can resist and it's better for me as it's hard sometimes not to overload a plate in the buffet as I love a pick 'n mix buffet.