Walgreens starting to charge for Travel COVID tests

Just went to check availability for covid tests for this weekend and this banner comes up on the Walgreens website.  When I check that the test is for travel the cost will be $128.99

Costs may now apply

Due to recent changes with federal testing (or federal eligibility criteria), if you don't meet medical necessity guidelines, payment may be due at the time of your appointment. You may save your receipt to submit to your insurance for potential reimbursement.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Just went to check availability for covid tests for this weekend and this banner comes up on the Walgreens website.  When I check that the test is for travel the cost will be $128.99

Costs may now apply

Due to recent changes with federal testing (or federal eligibility criteria), if you don't meet medical necessity guidelines, payment may be due at the time of your appointment. You may save your receipt to submit to your insurance for potential reimbursement.

$129 per person or for more than 1 person?

3 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Well, it was nice while it lasted.  We won’t be going back at that price, though.  

I have any appt Saturday with my Healthcare provider for my travel test.  I wonder if I will have to pay for that.  If it has to do with Federal Funding I'm guessing it's not just Walgreens that will be charging

• Like 2

It is going to put pressure on the cruise lines if they require paid testing for every person who cruises.  I hate to see testing end because it does prevent people who know they are positive from lying and getting on the ship infected, but I do not want to add that much to the price of the cruise.  With as many cases as there are, it wouldn’t be a complete lie to state that you are requesting the test because you have been exposed to a positive person, as there is a good chance you have been. I wonder if there is still a charge for that. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I have any appt Saturday with my Healthcare provider for my travel test.  I wonder if I will have to pay for that.  If it has to do with Federal Funding I'm guessing it's not just Walgreens that will be charging

Will you please let us know?

And, I appreciate the heads up, but this was not a good way to start my day 😂

• Like 1

You will have to pay for your COVID-19 test

Based on your responses, you don't qualify to receive this COVID-19 test at no cost to you. The cost of this test is $128.99, which will be due at the time of your appointment. You may reach out to your insurance provider for questions about potential reimbursement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

It is going to put pressure on the cruise lines if they require paid testing for every person who cruises.  I hate to see testing end because it does prevent people who know they are positive from lying and getting on the ship infected, but I do not want to add that much to the price of the cruise.  With as many cases as there are, it wouldn’t be a complete lie to state that you are requesting the test because you have been exposed to a positive person, as there is a good chance you have been. I wonder if there is still a charge for that. 

It will also encourage people to fake the test results or alter previous results. And you can get away with if you did. I didn't in Seattle but NCL just took a look at the results on paper and accepted them didn't scan no code or call no company to confirm.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Based on your responses, you don't qualify to receive this COVID-19 test at no cost to you. The cost of this test is $128.99, which will be due at the time of your appointment. You may reach out to your insurance provider for questions about potential reimbursement.

And what were your responses?

Do they still ask if you have been in close contact?  Are testing because of high transmission and inability to properly social distance?  Those two were key in March for free tests.  Do they still ask that?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, poocher said:

Do they still ask if you have been in close contact?  Are testing because of high transmission and inability to properly social distance?  Those two were key in March for free tests.  Do they still ask that?

They ask the close contact one, they don’t ask the high transmission one.

Also they ask about the “symptoms”. If you’re a seasonal allergy sufferer like I am, you can pretty much say you have a runny nose any month of the year lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, poocher said:

Me too!  I went through the scheduling process all the way to having an appt today & it never mentioned a cost.  I did say I had a cough which is absolutely true.

What box did you check when asking if you needed it for travel?

1 minute ago, poocher said:

I checked yes 

So I guess you have to have some kind of symptom to get it for free now.  I checked that I had no symptoms and needed it for travel and they want to charge me

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

This message popped up as you were scheduling the test?

Or after you scheduled it?

Edited by OCSC Mike

So we may have the answer to getting it free again, have a symptom!

So you went full the process today with the answers your gave and didn't get the payment message, correct?

Correct. I went all the way to the end where it said you are scheduled for an appt today at 3:45.

Thanks. I booked a mock appointment, just didn't hit submit at the end.

Obviously please share how it went later. Thanks for the info!

Not all tests at Walgreens or CVS are for travel.  Do they charge less for non-travel?  If someone needs a negative test to return to work, is that person charged $129?  If different, don't tell them you need it for travel.