Walgreens starting to charge for Travel COVID tests

There must be some misunderstanding on my part I guess and no I didn't see that poster's experience. That said, he made the appointment before the site had that warning and I have no idea how he answered the questions.

I was under the impression that you (Ellen/Molly) received that notice of the fee when you filled out the questions online. Is this part right?

Going on that, when others answered them differently and did NOT get notified of a fee, I (rightly or wrongly) assumed it would be free if you answered the questions differently.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

Quick clarification and update: when we made our Walgreens appointments it did not ask all of the questions about exposure, etc.  So we said the purpose of the test was for travel.  Perhaps if we had said we had exposure when we got there they would have done the test for free.  I don't know.  I just know they said we would have to pay for our tests when we showed up at 11:30am today.

The update part is we were able to get an afternoon appointment with CVS.  CVS also asked about exposure, symptoms, etc.  We truthfully said that we had been exposed recently to a family friend who tested positive yesterday, and also that we had recently been in a situation where social distancing was difficult (we just got off a different cruise on Monday).  So I guess with those answers we qualified for the free test.  We did the tests this afternoon.  CVS was very efficient and we just got back our negative results!  So off to Celebrity Equinox on Saturday.  Good luck to everyone getting tested.  I would suggest using CVS because Walgreens seems a bit disorganized right now.

Edited by RobertoF
  • Like 3

Thanks for clarifying Roberto. I suspect Walgreens is just more similar to CVS now with the questions and how you answer them.

My extended family used CVS for our recent cruise while we used Walgreens and no one had any issues.

Enjoy your cruise!

17 minutes ago, RobertoF said:

Quick clarification and update: when we made our Walgreens appointments it did not ask all of the questions about exposure, etc.  So we said the purpose of the test was for travel.  Perhaps if we had said we had exposure when we got there they would have done the test for free.  I don't know.  I just know they said we would have to pay for our tests when we showed up at 11:30am today.

The update part is we were able to get an afternoon appointment with CVS.  CVS also asked about exposure, symptoms, etc.  We truthfully said that we had been exposed recently to a family friend who tested positive yesterday, and also that we had recently been in a situation where social distancing was difficult (we just got off a different cruise on Monday).  So I guess with those answers we qualified for the free test.  We did the tests this afternoon.  CVS was very efficient and we just got back our negative results!  So off to Celebrity Equinox on Saturday.  Good luck to everyone getting tested.  I would suggest using CVS because Walgreens seems a bit disorganized right now.

They are going to ask that question when you fill our the health questionairre the day before boarding

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, RobertoF said:

They are going to ask that same question on the pre boarding health questionairre

Sorry but I have no moral issue with listing my allergy related cough for free testing and not listing it on the health questionnaire as I confirmed over & over that it is not covid related.  I’ll go to confession after the cruise. Unless there’s a priest on the cruise in which case I can go sooner!

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, torpeedo said:

Somebody else had posted that he went for a test at Walgreens and had scheduled when free but when he arrived he was told it was $128.99.  He argued that he made the appointment and nothing was said then but that didn't work.  He left.   I assume I will have to pay also since that balloon is there now even though I booked the appointment yesterday.  I tried to get a real person on the phone to ask without success. 

What happens if you cancel your appointment with Walgreens and go thru and rebook but answer Yes to having a cough or one of the covid symptoms - then you get a free test?   I would do a mock booking first to make sure they have an opening for tomorrow before you cancel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobertoF said:

You do realize the health questionnaire will ask if you have been in contact with anyone that has covid in the last 10 or 14 days.      Will you answer that honestly?   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, poocher said:

Sorry but I have no moral issue with listing my allergy related cough for free testing and not listing it on the health questionnaire as I confirmed over & over that it is not covid related.  I’ll go to confession after the cruise.

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Joking aside, would like to read someone’s first hand account of receiving a free test over the next week or so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our daughter was directly exposed and then we were exposed to her, so I think we will pass the Kevin Bacon test.  Regardless, if everyone answered truthfully to every allergy-related runny nose, and every dust-related sneeze, and every sore throat from yelling too much at the TV during the Stanley Cup playoffs, and every migraine headache they had over the past 14 days, I suspect half of the passengers would fail the pre boarding health questionaire.  I would be careful about being "too honest" on those surveys.

18 minutes ago, RobertoF said:

Our daughter was directly exposed and then we were exposed to her, so I think we will pass the Kevin Bacon test.  Regardless, if everyone answered truthfully to every allergy-related runny nose, and every dust-related sneeze, and every sore throat from yelling too much at the TV during the Stanley Cup playoffs, and every migraine headache they had over the past 14 days, I suspect half of the passengers would fail the pre boarding health questionaire.  I would be careful about being "too honest" on those surveys.

I live at high elevation. Every trip to the coast for a cruise I get congestion and a sore throat, never fails.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

Easy to do the video telemed testing. We ordered a time slot, and did 4 of them. Searched several sites. Found 3 that allowed us to use the free ones mailed to us from the government. Then, got some more free ones at the local public library that we will be using for this upcoming July cruise. We found one that was $25 /pp. They sent us an email with our results. VERY easy. Do a google search for video proctored covid tests sites and you will find a bunch. Less of a stressor than all the worries about CVS, Walgreens, and confession! You can even find some sites for over seas use, a Celebrity Med cruise. So easy to do. Just need wifi for the video connection. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

In our part of So Cal neither CVS, Walgreens or other sites....including our medical provider... ever offered Covid Testing for travel at no cost. 

Wow, that's surprising.  Always assumed CA was big on testing

We're on the Adventure cruise that leaves Saturday, so today is our testing day.  A number of folks in our social media group arrived at CVS or Walgreens to be told the testing was no longer free and they would have to pay.  The change went into effect today. 

My party used the emed proctored tests we ordered through the Royal site so it didn't affect us, but I can understand why people are steamed, as the tests were free when they signed up, and they never got any notice of the change.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

For my entire life until the last two years, if you were sick you went to the doctor, and they administered the test, or ordered the test.  I firmly believe the nonsense of getting a test for free because you want to travel is a waste of taxpayer money.  Travel is a luxury, and the test is part of the cost of traveling.  Now, I'm not saying I did not get free tests in the past, because it is available, just saying, it should not be the case.  Also, you don't need a test to travel now except for a cruise.  

Testing is like port charges, taxes and tips.  It is part of the trip.  

Hopefully soon it will be gone but that would require more small countries to stop it.

Edited by PCWalton1

8 hours ago, RobertoF said:

Here is my experience: made an appointment Monday for testing today at Walgreens.  Showed up and they said it would be $129.  They said that changed today.  I argued with them how can you charge me when I made the appointment when it was free to no avail.  I left without getting tested.  Looking at my options now.

Let us know how it goes.

I do not know if it is because I have:

High Blood Pressure,

High Cholesterol,

Diabetes,

am over 70, 

and my insurance is via Medicare but when I went through the scheduling process it did not say anything about paying. 

• Haha 1

How long are we citizens going to let this theatre go on?

Testing, and vaccinating….  Not stopping the infections nor saving the planet.  Just wasting money and resources.

Living with this horrible pestilence we must.  That was a little Yoda… out of place.  😇

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sandy toes said:

Easy to do the video telemed testing. We ordered a time slot, and did 4 of them. Searched several sites. Found 3 that allowed us to use the free ones mailed to us from the government. Then, got some more free ones at the local public library that we will be using for this upcoming July cruise. We found one that was $25 /pp. They sent us an email with our results. VERY easy. Do a google search for video proctored covid tests sites and you will find a bunch. Less of a stressor than all the worries about CVS, Walgreens, and confession! You can even find some sites for over seas use, a Celebrity Med cruise. So easy to do. Just need wifi for the video connection. 

Do you have the info on the on line tests sites you used that were approved by the cruise line? 

17 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I saw a post here awhile ago that there’s a site that charges 10.00 to proctor a test, and we can use the free ones that we received from the government. I don’t remember the site, maybe someone can post a link here. 

1 hour ago, volk904 said:

Do you have the info on the on line tests sites you used that were approved by the cruise line? 

These were posted awhile ago by someone on CC.

https://rapidtestandtrace.com/product/observed-test-for-travel/?fbclid=IwAR0bo0mxML7Ysl5JvPAUjC-LH9bqLpWNXTwyBqZQUgrypgqA31PoPAT5iSs

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service

Our experience today:

Three days ago, we scheduled 4 tests for today at noon, indicating test was for travel.  Today added a 5th person, indicating this person had exposure at a conference and a cough.  All 5 of us were told we had to pay for testing regardless of travel or exposure/symptoms. Disappointed and a bit panicked, I remembered all the options for proctored testing.  On drive home at 12:30, I was making appts with the company below starting as early as 1:00.  By 2:00 all 5 of us were tested and had our negative results.  So easy and huge relief.  If in the future we need this again, would definitely go this route even if CVS were an option, this was so convenient and easy worth every penny.  $20 pp using free ihealth we received from the government distribution.  

I have been reading these boards picking up tips, but usually don’t join discussions as it’s not generally my thing, but this information might be helpful to others and I know I would have been lost without all the previous posts about testing, so I thought I would pay it forward.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4