Hobart car hire and overnight parking?

Hi, I am doing a cruise which will overnight in Hobart and I am thinking of hiring a car for the two days.Β  However, we would return to the ship overnight so I am wondering if anyone knows of secure overnight parking which is walking distance to the cruise dock in Hobart.Β  I tried google but couldn't find any clear options.Β Β 

Β 

Thanks for any info.Β Β 

8 hours ago, lucymorgan said:

Hi, I am doing a cruise which will overnight in Hobart and I am thinking of hiring a car for the two days.Β  However, we would return to the ship overnight so I am wondering if anyone knows of secure overnight parking which is walking distance to the cruise dock in Hobart.Β  I tried google but couldn't find any clear options.Β Β 

Β 

Thanks for any info.Β Β 

I looked into it a few years ago and couldn’t find anything for free or with out a time limit.
I think the chancellor hotel was the best option but they charged .

We just got a car for a day which was enough to see what we wanted.

Make sure you book the car because there’s a long line out the door.

• Like 1

And it will be pretty expensive to hire - since COVID, there are a limited number of cars available and something of a premium in cost. A couple of months back it was about $1700 though Avis for a 6 day hire of a Hyundai Kona (last year was about the same but for 10 days - so still pretty dear).

And as advised, book early.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I looked into it a few years ago and couldn’t find anything for free or with out a time limit.
I think the chancellor hotel was the best option but they charged .

We just got a car for a day which was enough to see what we wanted.

Make sure you book the car because there’s a long line out the door.

Thanks - booking for the day was my next option.Β  πŸ™‚

Β Β 

Thanks MMdownunder and Aussieflyer.Β  I am looking at booking ahead (for November) and at Avis because it seems to be closest to the dock.Β  My elderly mother is coming on the cruise with us so a hire car is a better option than excursions for 3.Β 

CheersΒ 

• Like 1

Perhaps a one day hire would be enough with something more local for the other day Β - or maybe you could 2 separate one day ones?Β 

Β 

And I did see that Grand Chancellor does have public parking (I think overnight by the looks of it). It might be worth contacting them to find out.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

Perhaps a one day hire would be enough with something more local for the other day Β - or maybe you could 2 separate one day ones?Β 

Β 

And I did see that Grand Chancellor does have public parking (I think overnight by the looks of it). It might be worth contacting them to find out.

From memory the Grand Chancellor said if parking is available on the day. That was a few years ago though, things may have changed and they may book a parking spot.
We have done a couple of overnights in Hobart and one day car on the first works well.Hang around the port on the second day,nice and close to the ship.

Β 

One place we drove to was Opossum bay on the south arm ,what a lovely place.Β 
Β 

815B8F90-C750-46C0-858B-D72A1D125A4C.thumb.jpeg.31a8811c8802ce52fc6c3458451db060.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.Β  I have pretty much decided to do 1 day private tour (possibly to Brunie Island) which is expensive ($900) but when divided by three is not too bad and the second day maybe a ship's tour for two of us or hanging around the city.Β  Β  That will of course add up to more than 2 days car hire but not by much.Β  That way I won't have to do all the planning, driving, etc and mum can stay in the car if she doesn't want to do any of the more active things.Β  πŸ™‚Β 

Β 

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lucymorgan said:

Thanks everyone.Β  I have pretty much decided to do 1 day private tour (possibly to Brunie Island) which is expensive ($900) but when divided by three is not too bad and the second day maybe a ship's tour for two of us or hanging around the city.Β  Β  That will of course add up to more than 2 days car hire but not by much.Β  That way I won't have to do all the planning, driving, etc and mum can stay in the car if she doesn't want to do any of the more active things.Β  πŸ™‚Β 

Β 

If bit's a nice day ask one of the taxi drivers at the cruise terminalΒ  how much it would cost to go up Mt Wellington with a half hour stop at the top. It cost us about $120 in 2019. Cheaper and more comfortable than the HoHo. The views are amazing. Take a warm layer, it's usually about 12C cooler up there than at sea level.

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Near the city and enjoy challenging art, consider MONA.Β 
Β 

They have their own ferry service adjacent to cruise ship berth.

Β 

Now only open Fri-Mon.

The museum just near the ship is very good.

Two things that impressed me was the tinder box that the first explorer found near by.(Obviously not the first)

And a knife that was given to a local woman by James Bowie before he died at the Alamo.

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The museum just near the ship is very good.

Two things that impressed me was the tinder box that the first explorer found near by.(Obviously not the first)

And a knife that was given to a local woman by James Bowie before he died at the Alamo.

The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery across the road from the wharf is my favourite museum. Β It is free with donation Β tag.tas.gov.au Β It has a courtyard cafe

A short walk along the wharf is Salamanca, a delightful place to explore with all its small unique shops and cafes. There is a big market every Saturday from 8.30 am to 3 pm. Β www.salamancamarket.com.au

The beautiful Royal Tasmanian Botanical Garden is well worth a visit (local bus or taxi). Β 

The CBD with its shops is walking distance from the wharf. The Farm Gate Market in Bathurst Street is on every Sunday from 8.30am Β Great fresh food and farm products.Β 

Battery Point 10 mins. walk from Hobart CBD. Β "Climb the colonial era Kelly's steps and wander up through the lanes and quaint streets of Battery Point filled with stories of Hobart's historic past." Β  Β tasmania.com

There is so much to see and do around Hobart's Wharf, you don't need a car on the second day. Β 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery across the road from the wharf is my favourite museum. Β It is free with donation Β tag.tas.gov.au Β It has a courtyard cafe

A short walk along the wharf is Salamanca, a delightful place to explore with all its small unique shops and cafes. There is a big market every Saturday from 8.30 am to 3 pm. Β www.salamancamarket.com.au

The beautiful Royal Tasmanian Botanical Garden is well worth a visit (local bus or taxi). Β 

The CBD with its shops is walking distance from the wharf. The Farm Gate Market in Bathurst Street is on every Sunday from 8.30am Β Great fresh food and farm products.Β 

Battery Point 10 mins. walk from Hobart CBD. Β "Climb the colonial era Kelly's steps and wander up through the lanes and quaint streets of Battery Point filled with stories of Hobart's historic past." Β  Β tasmania.com

There is so much to see and do around Hobart's Wharf, you don't need a car on the second day. Β 

The maritime museum is another but it’s fairly expensive for the size.

There’s the some remains of a ship wreck in there that was found nearby .

They worked out it was British and was wrecked about 100 years before Cook discovered Australia.
Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Chiliburn

41 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

The maritime museum is another but it’s fairly expensive for the size.

There’s the some remains of a ship wreck in there that was found nearby .

They worked out it was British and was wrecked about 100 years before Cook discovered Australia.
Β 

Β 

Β 

I haven't been to the Maritime Museum. Β Where is it?

I've been to the Australian Antarctic Division Display at Kingston. Β It has a cafe. Β You need a car.Β 

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

......don’t forget some seafood or a scallop pie.

on our visit to Hobart in 2017, we had some very nice fish & chips for lunch just near to the dock. Yes I know we could have had free lunch on the ship just be walking a few hundred metres, but we just wanted some fresh fish & chips. I think it was called Flippers take away (they had tables and chairs to eat at), & I don' t think it was dolphin πŸ™‚Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mr walker said:

from memory. Uncle Les' son is involved in that

He is the CEO of the Mawsons Hut Foundation Neil, his part time job. Main job now is Chief Commercial Officer of Albatros.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2