Hobart car hire and overnight parking?

In 2018 

On 7/5/2022 at 6:04 PM, lucymorgan said:

Thanks everyone.  I have pretty much decided to do 1 day private tour (possibly to Brunie Island) which is expensive ($900) but when divided by three is not too bad and the second day maybe a ship's tour for two of us or hanging around the city.    That will of course add up to more than 2 days car hire but not by much.  That way I won't have to do all the planning, driving, etc and mum can stay in the car if she doesn't want to do any of the more active things.  🙂 

That is expensive. In 2018 there were tour operators on the Hobart waterfront, I met a young chap there and we did a "Hobart Wanderer" tour. It was great, very informative and got to see a lot on the day. Hobart is a beautiful place. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 6:04 PM, lucymorgan said:

Thanks everyone.  I have pretty much decided to do 1 day private tour (possibly to Brunie Island) which is expensive ($900) but when divided by three is not too bad and the second day maybe a ship's tour for two of us or hanging around the city.    That will of course add up to more than 2 days car hire but not by much.  That way I won't have to do all the planning, driving, etc and mum can stay in the car if she doesn't want to do any of the more active things.  🙂 

I have been to Bruny Island and, in my opinion, there would be better ways to spend $900! The best activity we have done on Bruny was a boat trip with Bruny Island Wilderness Cruise. They offer a trip that picks passengers up in Hobart but the timing might not work for you. The trip was so good we have done it twice. 

If the Bruny Island Cruises trip doesn't work out time-wise I suggest there would be other options for sightseeing in Tassie, particularly if you are prepared to hire a hire. The obvious one would be Port Arthur, but if you have been there I also suggest a drive through New Norfolk to the Mt Field National Park, or a drive that goes to Richmond.

While you are in Hobart, I suggest a walking tour (if that is physically possible!) up the Kelly Steps (built 1839) to Battery Point where there are several houses and a hotel built in the 1840s to 1850s. I can give you more info if you wish.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:40 AM, Aus Traveller said:

I have been to Bruny Island and, in my opinion, there would be better ways to spend $900! The best activity we have done on Bruny was a boat trip with Bruny Island Wilderness Cruise. They offer a trip that picks passengers up in Hobart but the timing might not work for you. The trip was so good we have done it twice. 

If the Bruny Island Cruises trip doesn't work out time-wise I suggest there would be other options for sightseeing in Tassie, particularly if you are prepared to hire a hire. The obvious one would be Port Arthur, but if you have been there I also suggest a drive through New Norfolk to the Mt Field National Park, or a drive that goes to Richmond.

While you are in Hobart, I suggest a walking tour (if that is physically possible!) up the Kelly Steps (built 1839) to Battery Point where there are several houses and a hotel built in the 1840s to 1850s. I can give you more info if you wish.

thanks - i will look further into options.  walking is fine for day 2 for dh and i (not for mum).  any info about the kelly steps would be good.  🙂

7 hours ago, lucymorgan said:

thanks - i will look further into options.  walking is fine for day 2 for dh and i (not for mum).  any info about the kelly steps would be good.  🙂

Hi, if you are able to do a self-guided walking tour, I would suggest you google Hobart self-guided walking tours. You will find a few there. A few years ago I made up a Google map of Hobart and plotted on it the route from one of these self guided tours (actually, I blended info from two different ones). I also printed out the narrative complete with pictures (which you could use just on its own, I preferred, but didn't need, the reassurance of a map) and we had an awesome time navigating the tour and doing our own commentary.

Unfortunately I didn't keep the map 😕 I will say also that it looked like it was going to be a very long walk but that was wrong, everything was much closer than my A3 map made it look, so don't be put off by thinking it looks too much 😀

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 6:42 AM, Jean C said:

Thanks Jean C

I've decided to ditch the hire car and the private tour ideas.  Now we are doing a self visit to MONA (with taxi), followed by the walking tour you suggested on the first Hobart day as my mum can return to the ship after MONA.  I've already purchased the MONA tickets as I suspect they may be in short supply when the ship docks and MONA is only open on the first day of the port visit (Quantum of the Seas). 

Then we will do a ship's excursion to Port Arthur on the second day (to ensure the ship waits if we are late back).   

Thanks everyone for the advice 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, lucymorgan said:

Thanks Jean C

I've decided to ditch the hire car and the private tour ideas.  Now we are doing a self visit to MONA (with taxi), followed by the walking tour you suggested on the first Hobart day as my mum can return to the ship after MONA.  I've already purchased the MONA tickets as I suspect they may be in short supply when the ship docks and MONA is only open on the first day of the port visit (Quantum of the Seas). 

Then we will do a ship's excursion to Port Arthur on the second day (to ensure the ship waits if we are late back).   

I was going to suggest you take the ferry to MONA, then I learnt there were 99 steps, so taxi is a good idea.  Enjoy your visit to Hobart.  I love Hobart which I visit bi-annually for the Wooden Boat Festival. If you have any spare time on your first day, you might enjoy the beautiful Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens which your mother could enjoy at her leisure.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I was going to suggest you take the ferry to MONA, then I learnt there were 99 steps, so taxi is a good idea.  Enjoy your visit to Hobart.  I love Hobart which I visit bi-annually for the Wooden Boat Festival. If you have any spare time on your first day, you might enjoy the beautiful Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens which your mother could enjoy at her leisure.  

Yes - we could handle the steps but not my mum.  Thanks for the botanical gardens idea.  

I take it you build wooden boats?  When I was a kid, my father built us a 125 sailing dingy from a kit and put 15 coats of varnish on it to get it as smooth as possible.  (He was an engineer so you can imagine how much he liked precision!)

5 hours ago, lucymorgan said:

Yes - we could handle the steps but not my mum.  Thanks for the botanical gardens idea.  

I take it you build wooden boats?  When I was a kid, my father built us a 125 sailing dingy from a kit and put 15 coats of varnish on it to get it as smooth as possible.  (He was an engineer so you can imagine how much he liked precision!)

My response disappeared.  No, but I admire the skill involved.  Your father must have been proud of his 125 sailing dingy,  

On 8/7/2022 at 12:32 PM, lucymorgan said:

Thanks Jean C

Sounds great, enjoy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We looked at hiring a car for the day, but decided to go with a private tour instead, it was more expensive but I'm really looking forward to having our own guide for the day! I contacted Tours around Tasmania who were able to help put together a tailored day out for us, I can't wait to see Hobart again! The Argyle Street car park in Hobart's CBD is probably the most secure, but also the most expensive. From memory it was about $25 for the whole day last time I was there, so not sure what their overnight fees are like!