Friday 1st July QM2 sailing now masks are required indoors .

MCC retired

• Host Hattie changed the title to Friday 1st July QM2 sailing now masks are required indoors .
46 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Just received the anticipated Masks Required indoors message for tomorows sailing . 

Options to reschedule included in the email.

Kind of late notice , not happy.

Would it be possible for you to post the text of the message you received? I'm especially interested in the options to reschedule and whether those included the option to cancel for a full refund. I've asked this before when we get word here of similar notifications. The only reason I'm asking is that knowing the full details of the wording of the notification can offer clues as to whether the mask requirement is at Cunard's discretion or is being imposed by the CDC in response to the onboard situation on QM2 being reported to the CDC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

Just received the anticipated Masks Required indoors message for tomorows sailing . 

Options to reschedule included in the email.

Kind of late notice , not happy.

i would not be happy either. The offer to reschedule comes too late. Luggage may have been fowarded (mine has) flights booked, overnight hotel booked. If there is enough Covid onboard to warrent masking everywhere I wish we had been given notice earlier.

I am also sailing tomorrow, but there is a caveat: masks do not need to be worn when eating or drinking. Apparently COVID cannot attack while one is consuming food or liquid. Therefore, I plan to carry a martini with me everywhere on the ship, sipping it, and can avoid the mask mandate. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Would it be possible for you to post the text of the message you received? I'm especially interested in the options to reschedule and whether those included the option to cancel for a full refund. I've asked this before when we get word here of similar notifications. The only reason I'm asking is that knowing the full details of the wording of the notification can offer clues as to whether the mask requirement is at Cunard's discretion or is being imposed by the CDC in response to the onboard situation on QM2 being reported to the CDC.

Hard to copy the whole message but basically it said if you wish to reschedule contact your TA or  several phone numbers depending on country booked from .

1 minute ago, MCC retired said:

Seems no other cruise line has returned to masking indoors .

It is time that we accept Covid will be around long time and rely on up to date vaccines .

Equally, you could be relieved that Cunard is the one that is most concerned for its passengers' well-being in this area. 

• Like 7

IMO, because Cunard does the transatlantic crossings, the passengers are together all the time, and probably indoors a lot with cooler weather, so the opportunity for Covid spread is probably a bit more efficient.

I know cases have been rising in Britain, so it may also depend on the overall nationality make-up of each cruise as well.

On our cruise people will be moving off and on and about outside (hopefully nicer weather), so the proximity time is reduced.  Yes, of course, the dining could be the greatest challenge, but we have to trust that all the new arrivals have tested negative and are not carrying any virus. 

I would never cancel just because I have to wear a mask.  Husband and I had to work the past year wearing masks daily and getting tested weekly.  We look forward to some time on the water and with the lovely QM2 amenities.

• Like 4

Here is the letter I received yesterday for the July 1 QM2 sailing. 
I hope I don’t get in trouble for posting it here. It’s better for others to see the full document instead of it being commented  on. 

Dear Mr ******,

We are looking forward to welcoming you on  board Queen Mary 2. 

However, before travelling to the ship, we would like to inform you that as we continue to see COVID-19 cases around the world, there are currently a number of isolated cases on board.  

In conjunction with the UK Health Security Agency (formerly Public Health England), EU Healthy Gateways and the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) we have developed a framework of protocols to protect the health and wellbeing of our guests, crew and the communities we visit. These protocols are designed to flex and adapt to these situations given societies are moving to living with COVID-19 in our everyday lives.

Out of an abundance of caution, we are now requiring that all guests wear masks indoors on board – except, of course, when eating or drinking and in your own stateroom.  Please note that visors and face shields are not accepted as a substitute for a face mask.

Complimentary masks are provided in your stateroom. If you need additional masks, please ask your stateroom steward, or visit Guest Services. If you have your own mask, you’re welcome to use this. We recommend you change your mask every 3-4 days or when spoiled or difficult to breathe through.

In consideration of your and others’ wellbeing, we would encourage everyone to:

• Wash your hands regularly or use hand sanitizers where handwashing facilities are not available.
  • Try to avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Always cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If no tissues are immediately available, sneeze or cough into the top of your arm rather than your hands.

If you develop any COVID-19 symptoms whilst on board, please immediately notify the Medical Staff by phoning 999 on your stateroom phone.

If you develop symptoms or suspect you have COVID-19, our medical team on board will be able to assess you free of charge. Guests may also be required to undergo testing for COVID-19 at any time before embarkation and during your voyage.

Having read this notification, we encourage you to assess your individual risk factors for developing severe COVID-19. If you have concerns about joining the ship and you wish to transfer, postpone or cancel your voyage on Queen Mary 2, please contact your travel agent, or us (on the following numbers) who will be able to discuss options with you.

+44(0) 344 338 8630 – UK guests
+1 800 728-6273 – US guests
+49 (0) 40 415 33 555 – German guests
13 24 41 – Australia guests
0800 543 431 – New Zealand guests
+44 (0) 2380 657064 – EMEA and Rest of the World guests

Thank you for taking the time to read this advisory and we wish you a very enjoyable holiday.

Yours sincerely,

Dr K Ramsdale
Medical Director
Carnival UK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, @SeaWatch12. The key word I was looking for here is the offer to "cancel". That tells me this mask mandate is most likely coming from the US CDC. As discussed before, a mask mandate and an offer to cancel are among the steps the CDC requests to mitigate moving a ship from "orange" to "red" status.

Edit to add: I notice the word "refund" does not appear in that notification. If the offer is to cancel for FCC instead of a full refund, that would shed new light on the situation.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Honestly,  cruising is a terrible mode of travel for those who don’t understand the particular level of constraints there are with health and safety unique to this mode of transportation.

There are hundreds of things you can do and places to go. If wearing a mask is a non starter, do not book a cruise,

Do not blame Cunard for not being able to predict the future when you clearly haven’t had the imagination to consider another Covid wave.

It may be hard to imagine from your lofty heights, but  the crew live and work below decks in very tight areas where they probably don’t have fantastic air exchange (as they are below decks). While you might not care about yourself, there are thousands of people who are working under tough situations to do their jobs.

Keeping them safe and healthy is not a big sacrifice, for me.

if it is for you, take cruising off your calendar for the next year or so,

• Like 12

I cancelled this morning via my travel agent(they were not aware of the letter above or the current situation onboard QM2 presently.

By noon today(1 July) i spoke w the TA & the cancellation went through cunard & I'll receive a full refund from Cunard in 60-90 days.

For me it wasnt worth taking the chance of getting covid....now to unpack...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

I cancelled this morning via my travel agent(they were not aware of the letter above or the current situation onboard QM2 presently.

By noon today(1 July) i spoke w the TA & the cancellation went through cunard & I'll receive a full refund from Cunard in 60-90 days.

For me it wasnt worth taking the chance of getting covid....now to unpack...

Was that for today sailing or a future one?

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Hopefully your refund won't take too long.

thanks, I was fortunate in having a good travel agent &they sent all correspondence w Cunard to me.... i understand these are tough time so

I'll happily wait...tonite I'll go out for a very good diiner......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

You may of course catch it in NY, but being ill at home is hugely less daunting than quarantining at sea. 

anyone can catch it anywhere....but ive taken precautions like being vaccinated and boosted and wearing masks..... i was hoping that times would be better by now but why chance it when there already are cases onboard w quarantines, per the letter from Cunard.

i do want to say that my mother passed away  November  2020 in an assisted living facility that was in lock down during covid...her heart gave out...not one resident in that facility died or contracted covid during the entire time..i was grateful that she was well taken vare of even if it meant i was unable to see her in the last 4 months of her life.

its all personal choice.

• Thanks 2