Mobile Cruise Terminal

mdsgu

We've never sailed out of Mobile.  What should we expect?

We've left out of NOLA too many times to count, and it's always a cluster.  Conversely, we've sailed from Tampa twice, and both times were almost perfect.  I know in Mobile there will only be one ship, and "only" 2000 or so people trying to get on it, but any tidbits of wisdom would be appreciated!

19 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

We've never sailed out of Mobile.  What should we expect?

We've left out of NOLA too many times to count, and it's always a cluster.  Conversely, we've sailed from Tampa twice, and both times were almost perfect.  I know in Mobile there will only be one ship, and "only" 2000 or so people trying to get on it, but any tidbits of wisdom would be appreciated!

My wife and I cruised out of Mobile in June of 2019. It was an amazing experience. Literally the easiest port we've ever been to - and we've also cruised out of New Orleans (a bunch), Jacksonville and Port Canaveral.

After we exited our car in the parking garage, we were literally standing on the deck of our ship in less than 30 minutes. And debarkation was just as quick and simple. We have another cruise booked out of Mobile next year and can't wait to leave from there again.

• Like 1

That's good to know.  Mobile is the closest port to me but in the past they just haven't had any itineraries that caught my eye.  With the Spirit going to Mobile next year I've booked an 8 day on Spirit and we're really looking forward to it.

I agree on New Orleans also, have cruised out of there twice and both times it was a mess.  

Edited by groundloop

On 6/30/2022 at 1:44 PM, MisterOJ2 said:
On 6/30/2022 at 1:44 PM, MisterOJ2 said:

Literally the easiest port we've ever been to - and we've also cruised out of New Orleans (a bunch), Jacksonville and Port Canaveral.

That's good to hear!  We moved back to Bama recently and decided to give a cruise out of Mobile a chance (next Spring) and wondered how it would be.  I don't remember New Orleans being too bad, but I do remember Jacksonville being a small pain.

5 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

The traffic getting into the port garage was a nightmare for us. And then a train came through and made it worse. 

Couldn't have been as bad as New Orleans when there's an even at the Convention Center.

We just got off the Ecstasy today.   Mobile’s cruise terminal was awesome.   We used VeriFLY to embark and it took us less than 15 minutes from the time we left our car until we were sitting in the terminal waiting to board.    Disembarkation was a breeze as well.     Everyone was so friendly and helpful…I wouldn’t hesitate to cruise out of Mobile again.

We have been out of mobile about 3 times. New Orleans close to 20 times.  New Orleans is always a mess. The one thing i will say about mobile is they did boy let anyone In the parking garage until it was completely empty from prior cruise.the port workers get an A+

The crime in New Orleans has gotten so bad we will drive to mobile or Galveston to cruise.  We live just over an hour from New Orleans port.

16 hours ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

If parking at port I do recommend pre-purchase of parking permit.  It will prevent a potential waiting in line at the kiosk.

This is good information. ANother option is as you pull up the first level of the garage, there is a poster display with a QR code. Scan that and you can avoid the kiosk and just book online- presto your done. I agree with all the above posters Mobile is very east to embark at, however there is ALWAYS a long line on Water Street (with major merging problems )to get into the terminal area Watch for the left line trying to pull all the way up and then jump the line!. It does move fairly well though. 

Mobile is really easy to navigate and get through. If you prepay your parking, use VeriFly, and can follow simple directions from the super friendly staff you can be on the ship within 30 minutes of pulling up to the facility. As mentioned by a previous poster, if there is a train that stops on the tracks in front of the facility traffic will back up but there of plenty of Mobile P.D. to direct traffic.

• 3 months later...
On 6/30/2022 at 2:42 PM, Rollin Tide said:

That's good to hear!  We moved back to Bama recently and decided to give a cruise out of Mobile a chance (next Spring) and wondered how it would be.  I don't remember New Orleans being too bad, but I do remember Jacksonville being a small pain.

There are no cruises out of Mobile next spring 2023

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2022 at 2:42 PM, Rollin Tide said:

There won't be any cruises out of Mobile "next spring". The Ecstacy is being dismantled  in Turkey and the Spirit won't come to port until October 2023. The nice thing is that the Spirit will be doing some longer cruises to the Bahamas and such. We are booked for Nov 2023.